Hard Maple grain question

I am making a cutting board 24"x24". I want to carry the weight on 2 runners down the edge so it will slide over the sink. It will be glued up 1 1/4"x 3/4" edge up. Should I keep the 1 1/2" edge runners aligned with the rest of the wood or attach them across the grain (something I have always heard was a bad idea). The only reason I ask is that I have a store bought cutting board that was made that way and it never had a grain separation.

Reply to
Gfretwell

If you attach the runners with screws through slotted holes in the runners and don't cinch the screws down too tight except for the center screw, the expansion/contraction of the cross grain board won't be a problem.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Twenty-four inches is quite a bit. I'd probably make a sliding dovetail runner.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'm starting to think it might be better to just keep everything going the same way but then I am looking at a 24' span across the grain.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Rarely is a cutting board kept oiled. IN fact, most food safety experts will now tell you to not oil it, and disinfect the board with a lemon wedge.

Reply to
DarylRos