Hard Maple grain question

I am making a cutting board 24"x24". I want to carry the weight on 2 runners down the edge so it will slide over the sink. It will be glued up 1 1/4"x 3/4" edge up. Should I keep the 1 1/2" edge runners aligned with the rest of the wood or attach them across the grain (something I have always heard was a bad idea). The only reason I ask is that I have a store bought cutting board that was made that way and it never had a grain separation.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:20:20 +0000, Gfretwell wrote:

If you attach the runners with screws through slotted holes in the runners and don't cinch the screws down too tight except for the center screw, the expansion/contraction of the cross grain board won't be a problem.
-Doug
On 14 Aug 2003 23:20:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comGreg (Gfretwell) wrote:

Twenty-four inches is quite a bit. I'd probably make a sliding dovetail runner.
I'm starting to think it might be better to just keep everything going the same way but then I am looking at a 24' span across the grain.
Twenty four feet!?

same

Rarely is a cutting board kept oiled. IN fact, most food safety experts will now tell you to not oil it, and disinfect the board with a lemon wedge.