Harbort Freign Grinder/wet grinder

hello,

I am a new woodturner and also a woodworker and I am in the market for a grinder/sharpening tool.

HF has these 2 products on sale:

a combo wet/dry grinder for $59

a 8" dry grinder with a lamp (8" version of this one) for $49
do you think is the most usefull? the wet grinder seems a better deal as the large wet store can be really usefull and is usually a finer grit than dry stones... but looking at various websites, it looks like most people use only dry grinders...

any comments?

regards, cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de Brebisson

The wet stone stays cool, keeping your steel from burning or being otherwise damaged. That said, I use a cheap, made in Taiwan, 8", 1/2 speed dry grinder with a soft, 60 grit, vitrified bond white alox wheel and have no problems so long as I don't grind to a feather edge. As for a finer wheel, I replaced the 120 grit wheel with a felt buff for stropping off wire edges.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I use this grinder and freehand grind on the wet wheel. The real question is not how to use this machine, but what is the right machine for you.

Most folks prefer to use some version of the Wolverine grinding jig. Reason? They get consistant grinds and a good edge. If you are not comfortable with doing freehand grinds, do the following:

  1. Buy a good 8" or 10" grinder 2. Put either the white, pink or blue, Al oxide wheels on it. 3. Buy a Wolverine jig and attach to grinder.

You will be very pleased with the results and you can count on the results being consistant.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Reply to