Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

Page 6 of 7

No, there is no such thing as "fair".

It is a contract. It takes two.
Baxter wrote:

That's a ray of light..."Sorry, m'am, you now make too much to qualify for Section 8" :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Nope. They'll simply raise the limits so they can control them with the government handouts.
Bill wrote:

Since there was so much interest, I did the calculation just for fun. This years increase represents a 16.1% price increase, in the price of each bag, before sales tax. Feel free to double-check. I think that the extent of the effective price increase will not be noticed by more shoppers (which of course, I think is part of the strategy of implementing it this way). I've typed this the following sentence in other forums: When our nations corporations "go to war" against it's citizens, we can be less proud as a nation.
Bill wrote:

Are you saying that an increase of $1.00 on $11.99 is 16.1%? If so, YOU need to doublecheck.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

You forgot that you only got 28 bags this time instead of 30. I computed the change in the price per bag (not the change in the price per box), which is what we mostly care about. Feel free to double check.

"Bill" wrote in message

The other things that confounds the comparisons is that there are often production methodology changes, or subtle changes to the products that may or may not be noticeable but that do impact the production costs that are reflected in prices being held the same for longer periods of time. Regarding trash bags, for example, that might include a different composition to the material or different features on the bags such as shorter tying ears. We also cannot ignore price changes by competitors, the cost of suitable substitutes, and simple supply and demand (the latter which may be influenced by the product's image as compared to other similar products) as factors too! Yup... its easy to compare!
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'm sure any gains achieved by the changes to procedures will be passed along to the consumer too. Thanks! Maybe we should compare the relative EPS?
"Bill" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- Check out a book by James F Lincoln called "Incentive Management".
Written in the 1930's, describes management practices used by Lincoln Electric to be completive and still be profitable.
One of Lincoln's basic theorems involved cost savings.
Any cost savings derived from a process improvement was to be shared 3 ways. 1/3 to the customer, 1/3 to the employees and 1/3 to the company.
Lincoln's annual Christmas bonus program was infamous for it's secrecy but bonus amounts greater than one's annual salary were reported.
The point is that the customer shared the wealth of cost reductions.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Was a change of sentiment required to help achieve 8-digit CEO salaries? It seems like things may no longer be running in accordance with "the book" you mentioned. Internet technology at our fingertips, such as is facilitating our conversation, might be an exception.
Bill
On 4/16/2015 6:08 PM, Bill wrote:

It is better to be a CEO than to work for one.
http://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-pay-continues-to-rise/ From 1978 to 2013, CEO compensation, inflation-adjusted, increased 937 percent, a rise more than double stock market growth and substantially greater than the painfully slow 10.2 percent growth in a typical worker’s compensation over the same period. The CEO-to-worker compensation ratio was 20-to-1 in 1965 and 29.9-to-1 in 1978, grew to 122.6-to-1 in 1995, peaked at 383.4-to-1 in 2000, and was 295.9-to-1 in 2013, far higher than it was in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, or 1990s.
On 4/16/2015 5:08 PM, Bill wrote:

Not true, Bill.
Check out the incentives paid on Wall street to productive traders.
Richard wrote:

Productive traders, sometimes, are a little like a parasite --like lawyers.
On 4/16/2015 7:03 PM, Bill wrote:

So are some posters...
Richard wrote:

Didn't wish to offend. It's just that they contribute as much as Poker players -- Zero sum game.
On 4/16/2015 9:26 PM, Bill wrote:

Ok. my apologies.
Richard wrote:

Thanks. For what it's worth, I'm actually pretty interested in stock trading. But watching my guesses has kept me on the sideline. My philosophy boils down to what goes way up is bound to come down a bit, and vice-versa. But I watched NFLX (NetFlix) go up 45 yesterday in after-hour trading (thinking that it might be a good quick short, or opportunity to buy a put), and then it went up another 45 today. Geeze.

...except that it's not.
krw wrote:

Maybe not "exactly", but (hopefully) you get my point. Or even better, let's just drop it. I don't wish to offend any full time traders or lawyers.
But it seems like the easiest way to trade is to get into congress, where you are allowed to trade on inside information (I find this repugnant). I'll stand up against that if you like.

No, I really don't get your point but it sounds like cluelessness to me.

I'll stand with you on that one but it is a very different situation.