Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

Was a change of sentiment required to help achieve 8-digit CEO salaries? It seems like things may no longer be running in accordance with "the book" you mentioned. Internet technology at our fingertips, such as is facilitating our conversation, might be an exception.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Fair enough, I'll get some ice in the cooler.

In this case you are probably right. I've not run into the metric bottles yet.

You do bring up an interesting point. It has to cost a bundles to change from a 32 oz to 30 oz between tooling for the glass, recalibrating filling machines, changing case sizes. All cost that is passed on to the consumer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We can argue definitions for weeks. The intent is to make more money and have the customer not notice. Sleazy at least, IMO, the intention is to deceive. Your option to agree or not. The want the customer to think it is business as usual.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You still did not answer my question.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One reason cans are 12 ounces is standardization. There are millions of machines sized to dispense 12 ounce cans.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

eception"" and "Deception, no; sneaky, you bet".

ow where you stand on this issue. I may not agree with you, but I can't say that until I know which side you're on. ;-)

Why are you responding to a question I asked of dadiOH?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It is better to be a CEO than to work for one.

From 1978 to 2013, CEO compensation, inflation-adjusted, increased 937 percent, a rise more than double stock market growth and substantially greater than the painfully slow 10.2 percent growth in a typical worker?s compensation over the same period. The CEO-to-worker compensation ratio was 20-to-1 in 1965 and 29.9-to-1 in 1978, grew to 122.6-to-1 in 1995, peaked at 383.4-to-1 in 2000, and was 295.9-to-1 in 2013, far higher than it was in the 1960s, 1970s,

1980s, or 1990s.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You seem to have a pretty low opinion of "most people", dadiOH.

So I' curious... Are you part of "most people"

Reply to
Richard

ounces in every 1/2 gallon of soda!? :-p

Interesting subject...

In San Antonio, soda was commonly available in 3 liter bottles. When we moved to Dallas, the biggest bottles are 2 liters.

Reply to
Richard

Jim,

That was hysterical.

Sincerely, Bill

Reply to
Bob La Londe

GLASS? What's that?

Reply to
Richard

That's a very good way of putting it. Customer has her or his guard down, get's home, starts taxes as usual, and notices Turbo Tax Deluxe no longer handles a Schedule D, etc., without an "upgrade". I regard it as fraudulent (but I'm not a lawyer...)

Reply to
Bill

That's all covered in economics 101, Larry.

Rich people invest their money (to make MORE money!)

Poor people don't.

Go figure.

Reply to
Richard

Not true, Bill.

Check out the incentives paid on Wall street to productive traders.

Reply to
Richard

If you buy the same item over and over and over for a lengthy period, do you check the unit price each time? I sure don't. And I don't care if the package contains less for the same price...that's because I know inflation is ever with us (in recent decades). That doesn'y meanI don't think the practice is sneaky, I do.

I have a low opinion of a lot of people. Many of them are those who feel entitled to all life's goodies just because they were born. Others are those who enrich themselves by running over everyone in their way and/or by deceit and lies. Still others are those who whine and moan about their condition but do nothing to alleviate it. I have a low opinion of those who price their goods or services depending upon what they think the current sucker - pardon, customer - will pay. I have a VERY low opinion of those in office who sell out to whomever. There are more but you get the idea.

Of course not, I am way smarter :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Productive traders, sometimes, are a little like a parasite --like lawyers.

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, you convinced me :)

Depends...what side is General Bullmoose on? I'm with him :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Sure you did. If you paid the max into SS all your life and die before you hit 80-something. Medicare? Fat chance. Compare what you're getting and what you're paying, including supplement, against what a private plan would cost you.

Try doing the arithmetic before you make wild claims like that.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Not when it's clearly labeled as being smaller.

---------------------------------------

Lew Hodgett wrote:

------------------------------------------ "Mike Marlow" wrote:

------------------------------------------ Unit pricing on the shelf is alive and well here on the left coast, if you can read it.

The type size is so SMALL that you need to get on your hands and knees to read the bottom shelf.

Shelves at eye level are another matter. With some effort, those tags can be read.

The only way to realistically read and understand the info is to grab an item and find a scanner on the sales floor and read it.

These days, if I'm going to shop at a big box store, first thing I do is grab a sales associate, describe what I need and have them take me to the item.

Same thing applies to Mom-Pop operations.

Then their little taser type pistol takes over and reads the sales tag for me.

Everybody is happy. I get what I need without wasting time, the associate gets to demonstrate their skills and the company gets an order.

It's up to me to recognize when a reduction in size has been made since the last time the item was purchased.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------------- Still got "long necks" in Texas don't they?