Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

Page 3 of 7
On 4/16/2015 3:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Fair enough, I'll get some ice in the cooler.

In this case you are probably right. I've not run into the metric bottles yet.

You do bring up an interesting point. It has to cost a bundles to change from a 32 oz to 30 oz between tooling for the glass, recalibrating filling machines, changing case sizes. All cost that is passed on to the consumer.
On 4/16/2015 6:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

GLASS? What's that?
"Richard" wrote:

---------------------------------------- Still got "long necks" in Texas don't they?
Lew
On 4/16/2015 7:16 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ok. Got me on that one. I was thinking soda.
On 4/16/2015 8:28 PM, Richard wrote:

Still around for some better brands in the 12 ounce bottles.

IBC Root Beer, for one.
On 4/16/2015 2:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

ounces in every 1/2 gallon of soda!? :-p

Interesting subject...
In San Antonio, soda was commonly available in 3 liter bottles. When we moved to Dallas, the biggest bottles are 2 liters.

Stella is 11.2 Oz in the bottle.

Which is what one would expect from a Belgian beer.
On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 10:41:08 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

ed

ad

ice.

Here we go again with the same ridiculous assertion that consumers are bein g deceived by smaller packages. I'll make this easy for you.
Here's is the definition of "deceive". Do us all a favor and explain to us how a clearly marking a container with the weight of the contents and the p rice fits this definition.
de·ceive dəˈsēv/ verb
- (of a person) cause (someone) to believe something that is not true, typi cally in order to gain some personal advantage.
- (of a thing) give a mistaken impression.
Don't talk about the legality or the sleaziness of the practice, focus only on the "deception" aspect.
On 4/16/2015 8:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What do you call it? The intent is to reduce the package size and hope the customer does not notice we are making more money. Use all the fancy word you want, but that is the intention.
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 10:51:55 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

being deceived by smaller packages. I'll make this easy for you.

us how a clearly marking a container with the weight of the contents and t he price fits this definition.

typically in order to gain some personal advantage.

only on the "deception" aspect.

How I wish you were kidding me, but I'm pretty sure you are not, and that i s sad.
They "hope" the customer does not notice?
How long as this practice been going on? How many articles, TV stories, int ernet blogs, usenet groups, etc. have covered this issue? Do you honestly t hink that the companies marketing the smaller packages are sitting around " hoping" the consumer doesn't notice?
I can just picture those board room strategy meetings. "Shh...don't tell a nybody, but we're going to reduce the mayonnaise package size again, label it correctly but not lower the price. Those idiot shoppers will never notic e. Heck they haven't noticed it yet. We haven't heard a word about it, so w e're good to go. 30 oz this week, 28 oz next week. Eventually, all we'll ev er need to ship is those little squeeze packages. Gawd, those consumers are such idiots."
The "intention" may be to make more money but it is not to *deceive* the bu ying public. I don't know how many different ways it can be said, but if a consumer is "deceived" by a clearly labeled package, then they are the ones at fault, not the company selling the product.
On 4/16/2015 12:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

But they did get away with it for a long time. It did take a while for people to notice.
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 1:02:02 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

at is sad.

internet blogs, usenet groups, etc. have covered this issue? Do you honest ly think that the companies marketing the smaller packages are sitting arou nd "hoping" the consumer doesn't notice?

Wait...I'm confused. Are you no longer saying that the companies are trying to deceive us?
As of about 2 hours ago your claim was "The intent is to reduce the package size and hope the customer does not notice we are making more money."
Have you now backed away from that assertion?
On 4/16/2015 1:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

They are still trying, but many (not all) have caught on. There are still some getting deceived, as was the original intent. They are not suddenly going back to the old size though. You wont' see "Now 32 ounces, yeah, you caught us" .
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 2:14:24 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

that is sad.

s, internet blogs, usenet groups, etc. have covered this issue? Do you hone stly think that the companies marketing the smaller packages are sitting ar ound "hoping" the consumer doesn't notice?

ying to deceive us?

kage size and hope the customer does not notice we are making more money."

You'll just never get it will you?

Nor would I expect them to, but if they did, I would expect a higher price and I would not feel deceived. It's really a very simple concept.

Seems to clearly fall under that definition. Changing the size from one that's commonly used, and hoping the purchaser doesn't notice. Yes, that's a mistake on the purchaser's part, but that mistake is clearly the intent of the vendor.
John
DerbyDad03 wrote:

That doesn't fit, how? A slightly smaller container certainly gives a mistaken impression.
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 2:23:00 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Wait...in your response to Mike you said "I wouldn't exactly call it "decep tion"" and "Deception, no; sneaky, you bet".
Are you now saying "Deception, yes" because you feel it fits that definiti on?
Changing your mind is OK. :-) I'm just trying trying to make sure I know w here you stand on this issue. I may not agree with you, but I can't say tha t until I know which side you're on. ;-)
On 4/16/2015 3:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

We can argue definitions for weeks. The intent is to make more money and have the customer not notice. Sleazy at least, IMO, the intention is to deceive. Your option to agree or not. The want the customer to think it is business as usual.