Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

LOL!

+1
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Steal them from the fast food places. While you are there, fill up on catsup and mustard. And next time you eat out, don't forget the crackers :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/15/15 9:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I can assure you is wasn't the same price for 50 years. If they are guilty of taking advantage of idiots, it's the idiots' fault.
If people are too stupid to see the volume or weight CLEARLY written on the package and then blame the company for ripping them off, then *that's* the problem with our society, not the size of the mayo jar.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Maybe the right question is to ask whether the mayo jar was changed with the intent "to deceive". Our society leaves a lot of room for angle-shooters (too)--look what is spent on getting ahead via the law. Ask Intuit who successfully lobbies against a simplied tax system.

On 4/16/15 12:29 AM, Bill wrote:

Again, how can you deceive someone by clearly labeling exactly how much is in the jar? I'm not aware of any law requiring mayonnaise makers to sell it in quart jars.
There's only so much we can do to protect the stupid from themselves.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I wouldn't exactly call it "deception", more like "they won't notice a slightly smaller jar so we can give them less for the same $$". Sure, people can check the unit price but most people would never do that for an item they buy regularly. IOW, the sellers are hoping their customers won't notice a slightly smaller package. Deception, no; sneaky, you bet.
At least the potato chip folks have the "Contents may settle" admonition on their mostly air filled packages.
On 4/16/15 1:18 PM, dadiOH wrote:

I say if people are too stupid no notice and so naive as to "fall for it," then that's just Darwinism in action. While we're at it, let's get an entire segment of the population so hooked on mayonnaise and all this other fattening stuff that we create an evolutionary change in their DNA that makes them so obese the entire sub-species goes extinct from heart failure.
We're half way down that path already. If this natural selection also weeds out the people who have so little stress in their lives that they see this "deception" as an actual problem that needs to be dealt with, that's icing on the increasingly smaller portions of cake. :-D
--

-MIKE-

On 4/16/2015 1:18 PM, dadiOH wrote:

You seem to have a pretty low opinion of "most people", dadiOH.
So I' curious... Are you part of "most people"
Richard wrote:

If you buy the same item over and over and over for a lengthy period, do you check the unit price each time? I sure don't. And I don't care if the package contains less for the same price...that's because I know inflation is ever with us (in recent decades). That doesn'y meanI don't think the practice is sneaky, I do.
I have a low opinion of a lot of people. Many of them are those who feel entitled to all life's goodies just because they were born. Others are those who enrich themselves by running over everyone in their way and/or by deceit and lies. Still others are those who whine and moan about their condition but do nothing to alleviate it. I have a low opinion of those who price their goods or services depending upon what they think the current sucker - pardon, customer - will pay. I have a VERY low opinion of those in office who sell out to whomever. There are more but you get the idea.

Of course not, I am way smarter :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/16/2015 6:58 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Then why aren't you checking the prices that you see to think shouldn't change?
Richard wrote:

On 4/16/2015 12:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Of course it wasn't the same price. I don't have a problem with that. Everything has gone up, including my wages.
Yes, the weight is clearly on the package, but the purpose of the change is to deceive. You did not answer my question. Do you check every container every time you buy groceries? Every bottle of ketchup, can of soup, jar of mayo? Sure, you will catch it at some point, but it is easy to get snookered one time.
I bought a 6 pack (bottles) of a particular beer I wanted to try. Picked up the carrier, paid, took it home. At the dinner table I took a look and the bottle is only 11.2 ounces. Honestly, would you have thought to check? Beer has been in 12 ounce bottles since I was a kid and now it is 11.2. Sleazy, IMO. No, I did not buy any more of it.
On 4/16/15 9:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You know something, even IF it could be proven there was clear *intent* to deceive, like they found emails back and forth in the company saying that, a judge would laughingly throw the case out because there was absolutely NO deception.
Not everyone is so brainwashed and mind-numb that they never again look at the package contents of a product after having done so once back in 1957.

Check that label again. I'd bet you a dollar it was bottled in the UK or Canada. Aren't you a fan of the metric system? Because that's what's to blame for that. 11.2oz is 330ml, which rounds of to 1/3 of a liter.
Once again, no one's trying to deceive you. I'm not aware of any US breweries making the switch yet. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least, since all of the "Big 3" US beer manufacturers are now foreign owned companies.
--

-MIKE-

On 4/16/2015 12:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

You owe me a buck. It is made about 40 miles from me. It may be a metric bottle though. http://spencerbrewery.com/?success=ok

I've not take the time to check, but in the past, imported beer was in 12 ounce bottles sold in the US. Could have changed as I don't buy that much beer, I do buy one from Canada and it is 12 ounces.
On 4/16/15 12:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Looks like a good beer! Instead of a buck, how about I buy you one of those if we ever meet up?

My point in all this is that the 11.2oz bottle isn't, nor has it ever been, a technique used to deceive the consumer. It's simply the "metric system" in action.
How do you explain those evil cola companies giving away an extra 3-1/2 ounces in every 1/2 gallon of soda!? :-p
--

-MIKE-

On 4/16/2015 3:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

do the conversion that is 11.5 US Fluid ounces, or 12 UK Fluid ounces. Go figure.
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 3:47:54 PM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:

Yet the cans are 355 ml, or 12 US Fluid ounces
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/canadian
The question I have is: Why is 12 oz common for both cans and bottles in the US, yet cans and bottles in Canada are different sizes?
On 4/16/2015 4:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

reason. :-)
On 4/16/2015 4:54 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

are made in Canada. Then they are sort of both 12oz, depending on US or UK ounces.
On 4/16/2015 4:54 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

One reason cans are 12 ounces is standardization. There are millions of machines sized to dispense 12 ounce cans.