Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

Page 1 of 7
Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again
I've got a couple Harbor Fright Drill press. One is a floor model. Its not wonderful, but its atleast 15 years old and it works. Once you learn a few tricks you can drill decent holes. The other is a 12 speed bench model. In some ways its better than the floor model. I keep a tapping head in that one. I tap a lot of 10-32 holes in aluminum with it. It was the smallest least expensive drill press I could find that had a regular MT2 taper, and it works great for what I use it for. Tapping holes.
A buddy from another newsgroup gave me a good deal on another tapping head a little bigger than the one I had. I figured I would set it up, and just leave a 1/4-20 machine tap in it since that's the second most common hole I tap. I was thinking another one of those Harbor Fright 12 speed bench toppers would do the trick, so I started hunting for a coupon or a sale. Finally I found an outfit that would "sell" me a coupon for it for $5. Since it would save me $40 if it wasn't bogus I figured it was worth a shot. I printed my coupon and checked on-line to make sure the coupon code was good. Off to Harbor Fright to buy my drill press. There were none on display, but there was one below in a box. I opened up the box to make sure everything was there, and noticed the head didn't look right. I checked further and found it doesn't have an MT2 taper anymore. Its got that stupid fixed BT16 spindle taper instead. The one that is on the smaller cheaper drill presses. Just to be double sure I looked at the manual. Yep. They downgraded the unit a LOT and didn't lower the price.
I left the coupon on the box for the next guy.
On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 6:31:29 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

Hmmm...downgraded the unit and didn't lower the price. Where have I heard that before?
http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_960w/Boston/2011-2020/2014/01/23/BostonGlobe.com/Lifestyle/Images/rathe_consumer_g01.jpg
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Went to Lowes the other day to buy another box of Hefty 39-gallon 1.3 mil "Steel-Sak" garbage bags. From my records, I have observed these price increases:
2009, $9.99 2010, $10.98 2011, $11.99 2015, $12.99
The price increase didn't bug me that much this year. What bugged me was when I got home I found out there are now only 28 bags in the box instead of 30! Along with the price increase, it bugged me...lol There are cheaper options, and will be choosing one of them. My new choice is unlikely to involve either Lowes or Hefty.
"Bill" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------- Been to the supermarket lately.
The favorite way for retail consumer products to get a price increase is to maintain the package size while reducing the quantity of the product in the package.
As examples a half gallon size (64 oz) box of ice cream is now 56 oz, and a 5 oz box of Irish Spring bath soap is now 3.75 oz but the box sizes for these items have remained constant.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I guess one of the kind things we can do for each other is to share our knowledge. I don't like it when they try to "deceive" us. TurboTax, you may recall, tried to do that in a big way this year. Gasoline prices actually aren't so bad at this point! : )

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 21:45:40 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Look at the mayonnaise jars- now 30 oz. instead of 32 oz. Sauers just succumbed to this and I am looking at other brands for the first time in years. I quit Unilever over their "Just Mayonnaise" fiasco. No more Lipton,Knorr or other Unilever for me. If enough of us over react, this bs will not be acceptable.
--
Mr.E

On 4/14/15 11:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Aren't these things clearly marked on the packaging? You guys are acting like they're trying to pull on over on you.
You can see the price and the quantity or weight or volume clearly marked on the labels. You're not stupid cows sauntering over to a feed trough ever day gulping down whatever was shoveled into it.
--

-MIKE-

On 4/15/2015 10:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Keep in mind that label details are not always correct. The pricing is, but not always the price per oz. or lb. I see that every time I take the time to check those labels.
On 4/15/15 2:08 PM, Leon wrote:

The package shows the volume or weight clearly marked. The price is also clearly marked, somewhere. That's the end of their responsibility. They're not responsible for people getting confused by inflation or not being able to do 4th grade math. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

They didn't go "out of their way" to note that the product was changed (similar to Turbo Tax Deluxe, this year).

I know you have a hardon for Intuit (I'll not be using them next year, either) but there is a comparison of the various software levels on the package.
On 4/15/2015 11:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Sure, we can read and that is why we are bitching about it. I'd rather pay the higher price and get the former half gallon of ice cream instead of buying 1 1/2 quarts. In a year's time I have to buy 16 packages instead of 12 to get the same amount of product. It is a waste of packaging material too.
Try putting a quart of home made soup in a 30 ounce mayo jar.
The manufacturer is attempting to deceive.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think that is the key point! We expect better behavior from *our* nation's corporations.
Bill wrote:

Let me rephrase that:
We expect better behavior from *our* national corporations.
On 4/15/15 6:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Deceiving you buy clearly labeling the product with the amount and a price. Make perfect sense. Every village needs idiots.
--

-MIKE-

On 4/15/2015 9:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

When people have been buying quart bottles of mayo for 50 years, most don't look at the jar size every time they buy. Then it becomes 30 ounces for the same retail price. The purpose it to raise revenue and hope the customer does not notice. It is called deception. Perfectly legal. Many people have not notices until they got home. Sleazy way of doing business, IMO.
On 4/15/2015 9:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's either hit the shrink ray (the popular term used) or increase prices.
Which would YOU prefer?
"Richard" wrote:

--------------------------------------- My customers as well as myself prefer being straight up front about it and increase the price, but we are in the industrial side not the sleazy retail side.
Lew
On 4/15/2015 11:34 PM, Richard wrote:

Either way, the price is raised. Am I going to use less mayo on a sandwich? No, at the end of the year I'm going to buy the same quantity be it in 4 big bottles or 5 smaller ones. I'm also being forced to pay for that extra package so it is even worse.
How often do you downsize rather than increase the price. Next year it will be 28 ounce jars, then 26, 24, 22 ----soon they will be selling mayo in half ounce packets.
On 4/16/15 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You're not being *forced* to do $h!t. Go to Costco or Sam's Club and buy it in a 50 gallon drum if you eat that much. I think I saw a 72oz container at Kroger last time I was there.
While you're at it, take a look at what people in developing nations have to do to simply survive every day before bitching so much about what size jar your mayo comes in. :-p
--

-MIKE-