Harbor Fright

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 06:18:37 GMT, "Mark Jerde" brought forth from the murky depths:

Wait 3 months and they'll be on sale again.

Their quick-grip clones are on sale now, too. Get a few for third-hand needs. I've found the cheapies to be larger and bulkier than the equivalent from quality clamp mfgrs, but WTF? They work fine and are 1/4 the cost. HF #46806, etc.

- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. ---

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

more features.

easy depth adjustment oilless operation nice case fit and finish magazine loading ergonomics

as far as where the rubber hits the road- they seem to drive nails just fine.

Reply to
Bridger

Wonder if they'd let you carry it on the plane like the OP is going to do? I suspect anything with sharp edges would be a bad idea (regardless of the quality) to carry on an airplane.

Reply to
Larry C

I'd add "ease of clearing jams". The HF nailers usually require an allen wrench and removing several screws. Some of the other, higher priced, nailers are easier to clear.

Reply to
mttt

Put it in the checked luggage.

Reply to
Mark

AT my store you don't need the flyer, usually the flyer prices are marked on the shelf. Besides, they have a supply of the flyers at the store.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

actually the forstner bits is what I bought that turned me off on the stuff that had to be sharp. Tried to use one and it just burned into the wood.

Reply to
KYHighlander

Puff, where do you go to HF? Is there one over by you anywhere? I've managed to go to the one off Bardstown road in Beuchel a time or two, when I get in the area.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

They wouldn't let me take a pay phone on a plane (DCA). I promised not to use it in flight but still no go.

Reply to
Greg

That's the one. Before I got laid off I worked right around the corner = on Old Shep Puff BTW What part of town do you live in ?

Reply to
Puff Griffis

But they will honor a web quote if you bring in a printout of the web ad. I did that with that 21gal noisemaker they call an air compressor. It works just fine, just noisy.

-- SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
SwampBug

Yeah, I have the same set, it's fine. It surely won't last as long as a $100 set, but in two years or so, I'll just drop another $22.99 on some more.

I also have their $9 brad-point bit set (in the brick-sized metal box, with 3 rows of bits up to 1/2"). It's been doing great for me for a year now. Again, for it's price, I'll just replace it if some bits get dull.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Yeah, plust they can usually be had for $15 or less. I paid $14.99 for mine, and it's worth that if only for entertainment. The fact that it shoots brads just fine is a bonus.

Reply to
Mike Reed

It is not the phone that is the problem, but the long cord slows the plane down. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

How about their hole saws, three bucks and in a plastic case? The plastic case itself would have cost more than five bucks!

Reply to
WD

fine for slow cuts in thin soft wood. better to buy quality hole saws....

Reply to
Bridger

I just picked up 6-12" and 6-6" of these and they seem fine. Before I bought them, I clamped them to the table as hard as I could to look for flex or twist. They seem great.

Reply to
Bruce

Oh they have flyers at my store too. The prices are sometimes higher on their flyer. Case in point - my flyer (via mail) had the #46309 18g nailer for $24.99. So did the web price.

I walked in the store - it was marked for $49.99.

I asked and was told - twice - that I needed to bring in the flyer or catalog with the lower price to get the lower price.

Reply to
mttt

I guess I'm spoiled rotten with our store, which always has copies of all the current mailed flyers and special flyers on the counter, and they have the flyers opened up and stuck on the window, with any special messages. Don't know how they handle online stuff, but they have about the nicest people of any store I know. You don't need a reason for a return and you can get your money back if you have a receipt or a replacement if you don't have a receipt. They don't question anyone's veracity, they just replace the part. Give raincheck, and notify you by mail usually in a week. Oh, yeah, if you ask about returns on a product they tell straight out if it seems to have a problem.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

There are a lot of great buys at HF. Usually, they have multiple ads going at once plus our local store will match catalog and internet prices. As someone else mentioned, make sure you locate an ad since the items on the shelf are not always labeled with the sale prices (even though they ring up correctly at the register). Anyway, one item I'd definately recommend that's currently on sale is their 60-tooth 10" blades for $10. Here's a link to the blade:

've bought about 7-8 of them and use them pretty much for everything now. When they get dull, I just chuck em. Much easier than dealing with re-sharpening.

Lance

Reply to
Lance Spaulding