Harbor Frieght now charging a restocking fee.

Page 2 of 3
Leon wrote:

No, you pay less and get more! For example, a pack of ten foam brushes is $0.98 vs. ninety-eight cents for ONE brush at Home Depot!
That's, uh, (mumble, mumble, carry-the-three), ah, TEN TIMES as much for the same price!
Whata deal!
On 6/7/2012 11:01 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Place the foam brush in in thinner to clean it. I can clean my $4 Lowes Wooster foam brush in thinner and use multiple times and with a ferrel nothing run down my arm out of the brush.
Leon wrote:

Are you saying the ones from Lowes are a lot better? I actually bought some from HF to use for glueing. I bought them thinking they were disposable, but I've washed my first one twice! : ) I noticed on the bag it says they are for *painting*. Can anyone comment on how well they work for painting?

Foam works great for latex paint. HF foam brushes are pretty flimsy foam, not one of their better values. But for a single touchup, they work fantastic. You just don't get good mileage (footage) from them.
-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke
On 6/8/2012 12:27 AM, Bill wrote:

There are different quality foam brushes, be advised. A great glue brush does not necessarily make a great paint brush.
Read the label on the product you are about to use. Does it mention a foam brush, does it mention a good quality foam brush? Some do, many don't. I have had great results with a Wooster foam brush using General Finishes Arm-R-Seal varnish, the foam brush was suggested on the varnish label. Many foam brushes will melt in paint thinner so those will certainly degrade when using in an oil based product.
Leon wrote:

What's "multiple times"?
You're gonna make me do more math!
The ten foam brushes from HF cost ten cents each. If you tossed each one after you used it, you would discard forty of them before you reached the price of your Wooster.
Now the question is: Can you get forty uses out of your, um, "quality" foam brush? (Ignoring the cost of the cleaning solvent and your time.)
On 6/8/2012 3:03 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Apparently you've never tried a Wooster foam brush. They are FAR superior to any other brand of foam brush, and are worth the money even if you only get 1/4 of the forty uses you mention. Most cheap-ass foam brushes are made of much coarser foam that limps and sags right off the handle before you can get any useful work out of them, and they swell up and break down under the effects of any significant amount of solvent like mineral spirits or alcohol. I even use (and re-use, many times) Wooster foam brushes to quickly spread glue out over large surfaces, and they give perfect, uniform results. Try that with your Harbor Freight cheapie.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Right. I've never used a Wooster brush. But "results" is a different issue than cost. I concede that your Wooster brush produces results that are the envy of all who encounter them.
As for gluing, I don't use a brush. I get the drop or two I need by squeezing the Elmer's bottle.
On 6/8/2012 10:50 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Yeah buddy! ... and a +1.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Steve Turner wrote:

--------------------------------------- The folks at "The Brush" are like most of the rest of the businesses in Wooster.
They go first class of stay at home.
Lew
On 6/9/2012 3:34 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I would not paint with that brush! ;~)
http://www.thebrush.com /
On 6/9/2012 4:21 PM, Leon wrote:

This page shows the product in question (all the way at the bottom):
http://www.woosterbrush.com/Catalog/DIYBrushes/Maintenance&Promotional
Not much info there, but the proof is in the pudding. I know Leon knows about Wooster foam brushes, but the rest of ya'll just need to hop down to Lowe's and pick up a few. You won't be sorry.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 6/8/2012 3:03 PM, HeyBub wrote:

And you probably would not be as satisfied with any of them as you would be when doing a "fine" finish with a Wooster.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

Yeah... What is "multiple times"?
'several, many, or a few?
On 6/11/2012 10:54 AM, phorbin wrote:

5~7
"phorbin" wrote in message says...

Yeah... What is "multiple times"?
'several, many, or a few? =========================================================================================This is rather OT but your statement reminds me of something I saw on TV years ago. It was about some African tribe. They had a very sophisticated number system. One, two and many. No big numbers to confuse you.
On 6/6/12 9:11 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

You need to get over it or at least get a grip on reality. No manager in his right mind is going to charge you a restocking fee for something they just rang up, 15 seconds ago... especially after you tell him you were not informed about the restocking fee. And even if he still tried to charge you, all it would take is a call to corporate to clear it up. Speaking of calls.....
I called my local store and customer service. Apparently, HF has started charging restocking fees on *SOME* items, starting this month. They are not charging on *ALL* items and in fact, there are about 140 items that will have restocking fees. This seems quite reasonable to me, given how many people treat them as a free rental service on the expensive things like generators and welders. I'm sure they have other reason, as well.
--

-MIKE-

So, why don't they mention the 140 items on the web site. Or mark them online as restocking fee.
Again, why at the cash register. Seems unfair to tag you there. I understand why generators and welders might have a restocking fee. I see people use them and return them...
But there should be some advance notice.
On 6/7/2012 2:43 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

On 6/7/12 2:02 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

No idea. Maybe they will. Especially if enough people whine and b!t@h about it. Have you emailed their customer service?

There should. Maybe there was... like a tiny little notice on an ad or something. I'm guessing they will institute a policy in which they make sure to tell people at checkout of the fee on an item that qualifies. I wonder if they might start printing it on the packages, too.
--

-MIKE-

On 6/7/2012 2:02 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

You can simply walk away from the register and leave the store without paying. Just because your intended purchase is wrung up does not mean you have to pay if you are not at ease with the conditions.

You have now had your advance notice. Be glad they take it back at all, there is no low that requires any store to refund anything at all.