Harbor Freight Variable Speed Multitool- $50

Page 1 of 2
email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool VARIABLE Speed version.
http://xrl.us/multitoolcoupo
--

-MIKE-

email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool VARIABLE Speed version.
http://xrl.us/multitoolcoupon
--

-MIKE-

I was going to go for that one at $49 instead of the $34 one, but decided that the VS was mostly for sanding and I have lots of sanders..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I've often wondered myself why a variable speed would be necessary other than sanding. Like you, I also have a few sanders which do the job. Anyone care to offer insight to why variable speed cutting would be necessary elsewhere?

Doesn't the variable speed model have a more secure way of holding the blades? Is the motor the same power?
It could just be that it is a copy of the Feon. If Fein did it. so would HF.
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:56:14 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Fein has a totally different locking mechanism for securing the blades. The HF uses a simple socket head screw that requires and allen wrench, while Fein has a quick release lever.
wrote: Doesn't the variable speed model have a more secure way of holding the

That's what I'd heard here.
I have several PC293's (? basic modlerouters) with on/off switches. One Christmas, I bout the VS model on sale and it crapped out within months. So I traded it in for one with the simple on/off switch and it has survived (like its brother) for years and years.
I think that, If I wnated to slow the thing down, I'd invest in an external VS controller.
By the way, why would I want to slow it down?
On 3/16/10 1:59 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:

If you're talking about a router... it's my understanding that larger diameter bit shouldn't be run at the full speed most routers can obtain, like 24k rpm.
--

-MIKE-

I went to HF yesterday with 2 coupons in my pocket. One was for 20% off any purchase and the other for the $80 version of the saw at $49. The 20% applied only to the cheap saw. When I got there, the cheap version was already on sale for $35 and an inquiry learned that the 20% DID apply to that price. I got my single speed version for $28 plus tax and used the 20% off to buy a blade. Not bad at all.
---- Nonny When we talk to God, we're praying, but when God talks to us, we're schizophrenic. What's the deal?

Perhaps if you are being paid by the hour...
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:20:11 -0800, mac davis wrote:

As per the discussions on this group, the VS model has a much better way of securing the blades. That may be worth the $15 difference.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:30:41 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Not according to the manual. It has the same socket head screw setup as the original single speed model.
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/67000-67999/67537.pdf
The Fein has a completely different blade mounting system that does not require any tools. It uses a cam and a locking lever.
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:43:17 -0400, salty wrote:

Here's a post from the discussion I was referring to:
Quality looks good. In particular, in addition to adding variable speed it seems to have "solved" some of the complaints with the earlier model, including: - Raised 'dots' that engage with holes in the attachments, allowing for positive locking of the attachment which prevents the slipping that reportedly plagued the regular model which needed the screw to be wrenched down real tight to avoid slipping - Pretty quiet -- quieter than a pad sander - More ergonomic shape

On 3/15/10 6:41 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

The single speed unit have that, now.
--

-MIKE-

Just being quieter would be a big factor for me.. Mine sounds like a hair clipper on steroids..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:41:52 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

The single speed unit has that same exact mounting system.

Also has several other advantages: 1. Better ergonomics 2. Comes with a nice case
On 3/15/10 1:21 PM, blueman wrote:

If that case is designed well, it would be worth the extra 15 to me.
--

-MIKE-

It would have to be a LOT better for me to justify almost 1/3 more on the price.. I've been abusing the hell out of mine and have no trouble changing blades and haven't had one loosen on me since the first time I used it, when I was going to easy on the allan wrench..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Interesting - the HF Website lists this tool for $39.99 with a regular price of 59.99 This is the URL - http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/start.do
The coupon is listed as good from the 15th to the 21st.
I have been considering this tool or the King I'm just a home woodworker and would be using it as a for renos and whatever, It would get only occasional use.
Are there any owners who can comment on either?