Harbor Freight Tools

Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Michael Dombrowski

The HF 2HP Dust Extractor seems to be a favorite (when on sale) and their wood lathe is liked by some (not all). Then there are clamps etc for general handyman/DIY tasks.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

60 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment

- Ryobi Right Angle Drill

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

- Milescraft SignCrafter

Woodcrafter

"None of the above" comes to mind.

Reply to
Rumpty

Mike, essentially, do your homework. If a tool (caliper) costs $12.00 at Woodcraft and the identical item is $3.99 at HF . . . . As for the power tools. Most are okay for the hobbist, but stay away from the really cheap stuff. The dustcollector works well, after you add a good filter bag (or in my case two) and use a plastic garbage bag for the collection bag. As it comes out of the box, it looks good, makes a lot of noise and does nothing good (30 micron filter bag - you need 1 micron or less). The cordless drills (18v) work well - they are not Dewalt quality, but you are not paying Dewalt prices either.

Generally, use you head.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Yes, but there are many tools that have been regarded here for years as worth the money and I'm just wondering if there is a list of them somewhere. As you point out, the dust collector is one of those.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Michael Dombrowski

nope.. you have to search the archives..

HINT: got a HF flyer today and 6" bar clamps are $1.99 again, other sizes slightly more until you hit 40" for 5 or 6 bucks..

I stocked up last time and they're very good clamps, great at this price..

Reply to
mac davis

I've bought and been satisfied with HF's:

  • Dust Collector
  • 3/8" Corded VSR Drill
  • 3/8" Rechargable 18v Drill
  • 18ga Pneumatic Brad Nailer
  • Pneumatic Pop Riviter
  • Pneumatic Drill (works great for pocket holes!)
  • Electric Cut Out Tool
  • Hand Truck (converts into cart)
  • Furniture Dollies
  • Right Angle Grinder
  • 36" Clamps
  • 3/4" Pipe Clamps
  • 4" and 6" C-Clamps
  • Drill Press Vises (one small, one large)
  • Air hose reel and several hoses
  • Pneumatic couplings
  • Small Pliers Set
  • Punch Set
  • 115-Bit TiN Drill Set (but /flimsy/ index!)
  • Horizontal (metal cutting) Bandsaw
  • Fold-Up Trailer (with 4x8 load area)

I've bought and not been happy with HF's:

  • Pneumatic Body Saw (trouble starting)
  • 10" Bench Disk Sander (disk wobbles, table damaged)
  • Nut Driver Set (round sockets)
Reply to
Morris Dovey

I was thinking of picking up a rubber mallet when I pass my local store next. I can always epoxy the rubber back onto the handle when it comes flying off.

Dave

Reply to
Cox West

I have found their brad nailer (currently $19.99) to be well worth it. I also bought their flush trim router (also $19.99) about a year back. I figured what the hell, I'll spend $20 on beer on a Fri. night. If it's a POS I'm not out much. I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, it's not a PC or a DW, but for the very few times that I need a flush trim router it did what I needed it to do. If I used it regularly I would probably want something sturdier, bu it fir my needs.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

To add to the list:

I have the $25 (on sale) 1/2" corded hammer drill (Chicago Electric, I think). Needed it to attach stuff to my basement shop walls. Works fine.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

The compressor auto drain kit for ten bux.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I had the same problem with their body saw... Gave it to my kid, who's a mechanic in the army and uses a compressor with a much higher cfm than my HF compressor does... worked fine for him..

Reply to
mac davis

hey Glen.. tell me about that lil bugger..

I was going to order one online, to avoid having to take my router out of the table for stuff like rounding edges on hardboard, etc..

I sort of backed out because the picture seems to show the rack & pinion and gears made out of plastic... will it really adjust and hold position?

Reply to
mac davis

In my experience, beware of anything with moving parts - inclouding the brad nailer which started leaking after a couple of light uses.

Reply to
phil_ordway

Not that I know of....BUT I have several of their tools....Tools I use once every 2 or 3 years etc....

I do own their cheap 6 inch digital caliper ....works for me... but I am only use it to varify that lumber is planned to the same size...who knows if it is accurate...?

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

That's definitely one of the better tools from HF. I've got a workshop wall full of them. Never had a problem.

And I buy their box of razor blades when it's on sale, but that's for modelling, not woodworking.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
Sean Dinh

Buy the molded dead blow hammmers instead. I have two of them from HF. One for wooddorking, another for banging car parts togather or apart. Got an orange one and a black one so I can tell them apart. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I went through two compressor tank drain do-hickeys, then gave up and bought one frm Grainger fo $50 that was easier to install, and it works too! On the other hand, my neighbor has one, and it works fine! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Tighten the screw and add oil.

Reply to