Harbor Freight Tools

Page 1 of 2
Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?
Thanks Mike

The HF 2HP Dust Extractor seems to be a favorite (when on sale) and their wood lathe is liked by some (not all). Then there are clamps etc for general handyman/DIY tasks.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 60 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment - Ryobi Right Angle Drill - Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer - Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw - Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction - Milescraft SignCrafter ------------------------------------------------------------
"None of the above" comes to mind.
--
Rumpty

I was thinking of picking up a rubber mallet when I pass my local store next. I can always epoxy the rubber back onto the handle when it comes flying off.
Dave

for wooddorking, another for banging car parts togather or apart. Got an orange one and a black one so I can tell them apart. Greg
Michael Dombrowski wrote:

Mike, essentially, do your homework. If a tool (caliper) costs $12.00 at Woodcraft and the identical item is $3.99 at HF . . . . As for the power tools. Most are okay for the hobbist, but stay away from the really cheap stuff. The dustcollector works well, after you add a good filter bag (or in my case two) and use a plastic garbage bag for the collection bag. As it comes out of the box, it looks good, makes a lot of noise and does nothing good (30 micron filter bag - you need 1 micron or less). The cordless drills (18v) work well - they are not Dewalt quality, but you are not paying Dewalt prices either.
Generally, use you head.
Deb
Dr. Deb wrote:

Yes, but there are many tools that have been regarded here for years as worth the money and I'm just wondering if there is a list of them somewhere. As you point out, the dust collector is one of those.
Thanks Mike
Michael Dombrowski wrote:

I've bought and been satisfied with HF's:
* Dust Collector * 3/8" Corded VSR Drill * 3/8" Rechargable 18v Drill * 18ga Pneumatic Brad Nailer * Pneumatic Pop Riviter * Pneumatic Drill (works great for pocket holes!) * Electric Cut Out Tool * Hand Truck (converts into cart) * Furniture Dollies * Right Angle Grinder * 36" Clamps * 3/4" Pipe Clamps * 4" and 6" C-Clamps * Drill Press Vises (one small, one large) * Air hose reel and several hoses * Pneumatic couplings * Small Pliers Set * Punch Set * 115-Bit TiN Drill Set (but /flimsy/ index!) * Horizontal (metal cutting) Bandsaw * Fold-Up Trailer (with 4x8 load area)
I've bought and not been happy with HF's:
* Pneumatic Body Saw (trouble starting) * 10" Bench Disk Sander (disk wobbles, table damaged) * Nut Driver Set (round sockets)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Gave it to my kid, who's a mechanic in the army and uses a compressor with a much higher cfm than my HF compressor does... worked fine for him..
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:04:32 -0500, Michael Dombrowski

nope.. you have to search the archives..
HINT: got a HF flyer today and 6" bar clamps are $1.99 again, other sizes slightly more until you hit 40" for 5 or 6 bucks..
I stocked up last time and they're very good clamps, great at this price..
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

wall full of them. Never had a problem.
And I buy their box of razor blades when it's on sale, but that's for modelling, not woodworking.

Michael Dombrowski wrote:

I also bought their flush trim router (also $19.99) about a year back. I figured what the hell, I'll spend $20 on beer on a Fri. night. If it's a POS I'm not out much. I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, it's not a PC or a DW, but for the very few times that I need a flush trim router it did what I needed it to do. If I used it regularly I would probably want something sturdier, bu it fir my needs.
Glen

hey Glen.. tell me about that lil bugger..
I was going to order one online, to avoid having to take my router out of the table for stuff like rounding edges on hardboard, etc..
I sort of backed out because the picture seems to show the rack & pinion and gears made out of plastic... will it really adjust and hold position?
mac davis wrote:

put it to was cutting a rabbit for a piano hinge for a piano bench bench made of red oak. It held through that. You read the picture well, those parts are plastic so I cant say how long it will take any real abuse.
Glen

Thanks, Greg... As it turns out, the guy that lives across the street just loaned me an old craftsman router that is a lot smaller than my beast, though about as old.. It will do fine for the few routing jobs that I hit where the router table or shopsmith won't work well.. I will probably pick one up the next time I see it at $20 or less, in case he ever wants this thing back.. He hasn't used it in over 10 years... lol

To add to the list:
I have the $25 (on sale) 1/2" corded hammer drill (Chicago Electric, I think). Needed it to attach stuff to my basement shop walls. Works fine.
Bill
Mine melted the plastic collar, after 30 1/2" holes. It's still work, but lack directional control. My replacement will have to have metallic collar.
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

I can understand some people needing a cheap toll for a rare job. But when you look to only buy cheap tools, stop and think what you are doing. You are supporting another chinese family and goverment. And the more you buy their junk the more oil the goverment must buy to deliver the junk to the boats. And the more oil they have to buy the more demand o the open market for oil. I know we cannot buy everything american made, but we can buy from a free country and a friendly country and help them just as you want them to buy our stuff. Is everyone willing to take a 15-20% pay cut to lower prices of american made products? Don;t think so. Just look what we are trying to do in europe with the euro vs. dollar. Lets just hope it does not back fire. But we are buying more stuff from overseas then we send over.
Just think twice when you buy. Try a klein tool or a snap-on tool . Then try the crap from HF. See and Feel the difference. If you cant then please don't touch the tools because you will more than likely hurt yourself.

I just don't understand that statement. Why do you think you have to grossly overpay for a tool to be capable of using tools without hurting yourself? Overpay if you want, but don't act all morally superior because of it.
Dave Hall
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:24:20 +0000, David Hall wrote:

Yup, yup, yup ;-)