HARBOR FREIGHT SLOT JOINTER

Page 2 of 2

mac davis wrote:

I always get what I pay for. You think I leave the stuff on the counter and walk out of the store?
But if you mean the more you pay the better the quality, just not true. Extension cords for example cost 1/2 the price at HF as at Lowes even though the cord is identical even in color (recently, color at Lowes changed).
Or a really good example, check parts for a Volkswagen and an Audi. Some parts are identical (may have a different number but still identical) and the price can be 50-100 percent higher for the Audi part. Lots of other example especially in springs for special purposes. Practically everything listed for medical use or as a scientific supply has a 50-200 percent premium over the identical item sold in other markets.
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 00:24:42 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

With some of their stuff, like locking pliers, you might be safer that way.. *g*
What I meant is that you go in knowing that you're paying what I consider a fair price for what you get.. I know that for $20 I'm not getting a brad driver that is as good as the more expensive brands.. but I feel that since it's been working for the little use I have for it for 3 or 4 years, that's a good deal..
You just can't buy their with a "what a steal" mindset... that's what they WANT you to do.. They haven't been around for this many years by giving things away at a loss.. Mac
IMHO Harbor Frieght is only good for;
1. They do from time to time have soe reasonable remanufactured tools or machinery at a decent price.
2. In a pinch, when you have to get he job done and locating the tool you need can only be found there..
3. Items such as tape, wire ties and stuff like that...
But the experience i have had over the years of HF tools has been mainly poor. I have drill bit sets that have held up for a good amount of time.. certain kinds of clamps as well.
I also bought that HF biscut cutter for ~20$ too. And like someone above mentioned, I mainly got it to test wether or not a biscut cutter was going to actually be somthing I would get much use out of, or improve my woodworking projects at hand. It was made almost entirely out of plastic parts, the spring action was crap, nearly makig it hard enough to apply enough pressure not to break the thing. (wich it ended up doing)
If you have to even question if a HF tool is durable, or made well... dont buy it.
BTW, their tool grinder is fine. It differs from its brandname brother (Baldor? something like this, I might've misspelled it) only in paint color and a label, everything else is exactly the same. Very well built, no vibration at all, very good tool for $120 vs $500+ for the branded one.

* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *