Harbor Freight - NO PRIVACY

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 05:23:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Chuck) wrote:

Thanks Chuck, you beat me to it.
js148 wrote:

You know, this one just doesn't ring right. I mean, a $5.50 an hour telemarketer knows where the company they work for got your name?
Come on. You're a liar right?
UA100
It was printed on the top of his list.

Lemme guess, you're from rec.woodworking...you've got such a nice, polite way about you.
-- Chuck *#:^) chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com Anti-spam sig: please remove "NO SPAM" from e-mail address to reply. <><
September 11, 2001 - Never Forget
Is your phone number on the national do not call list. If so than you have the telemarketer. When someone calls me i ask their name and tell them I am on the DNC list. You would not beleve how fast they hang up.
Henry Doolittle

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
WRONG!
Companies with whom you have business dealings may still call to maintain customer relations.
Leading with the names of business with whom the OP was dealing covers their posterior. Unless you're in Wisconsin, I guess.

George writes:

IIRC, the OP said the TM scum told him they "got" the phone number from Harbor Freight. That doesn't mean he'd done business with the TMS' company.
Too many of these people are looking for ways around the law. It probably pays to check with the enforcement types first, but I'd get name, rank and serial number of the TMS, plus his company, plus making a note of the company that sold me down the river, and I'd report the bastards if at all possible.
It's a workaround, that's for sure, but the argument goes that a company he had been doing business with was offering its customers a deal through....
Credit card types are big on offering "deals" to customers of (any name here) to circumvent the rules, if the local complaint register is any indication.

I guess I don't understand some folks' obsession with answering the telephone. I know that there are family and personal situations that can and do require standing by a telephone for urgent calls.
That said, I must state the PhoneZap hookup really works. My wife and I have adjusted to ignoring the first telephone ring. Since the second ring depends on the caller pressing 2 on their telephone, auto-dialers are eliminated. We are finding 99.99% of the sales calls are blocked. We have Caller ID on our line to supplement the Zapper if we are expecting a call.
Friends and relatives are quickly trained.
I have no connection to any Zapper business; just a satisfied user.
Jack

That's what that ringing noise is for.

So does the national do-not-call registry. I signed up with my state registry over a year ago, which carried over to the national one, and haven't gotten a single call except from my phone and cable companies since then, and I just told them I didn't want any sales calls and that was the end of it.
-- Chuck *#:^) chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com Anti-spam sig: please remove "NO SPAM" from e-mail address to reply. <><
September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Ok, I work nights. That means I sleep days. Before the no call lists, I had to take the phone off the hook so I could get uninterrupted sleep. But my bosses complained that they couldn't get hold of me for emergencies. So I had a problem. If I left the phone on the hook, I'd be woken up dozens of times a day by the damn telemarketers. If I didn't leave the phone off the hook, my bosses would be mad at me when they couldn't reach me.
I opted to let the bosses be pissed, because it was the better alternative to my being groggy from interrupted sleep every night at work. But when the no call lists came out, I signed up. Very very few telemarketers now call. I can leave the phone on the hook and count on getting uninterrupted sleep most every day, except when there really is an emergency at work (not often).
For people in my situation, the no call lists have been a godsend.
Gary

Friend of mine solved the same problem thusly: When the boss got upset because he couldn't reach him in an emergency, he explained the situation and offered to split the cost of a pager. The boss thought it a great idea and got pagers for several key employees == and he paid for them...
Jerry