Harbor Freight - NO PRIVACY

I have, on occasion, purchased from Harbor Freight. Today I got a call from a credit card telemarketer saying that they got my name from Harbor Freight. Their statement, on their web page, that your information is for order processing only and they do not release it to third-parties is an out-and-out lie.

If you value your privacy, DO NOT BUY FROM HARBOR FREIGHT!

Reply to
js148

Do not give them your email address.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

How does that prevent them from calling you?

Steve.

Reply to
SRF

Have you contacted Harbor Freight? _Perhaps_ someone in their employ who has access to your info is, _contrary to their policy_ releasing/selling/providing that info to outside telemarketers? Express your displeasure to HF...politely, and see what they say.

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

If you value your privacy, do not give out that information. .......... DUH ....................

I have had retailers ask me my phone numbers. If it is a cute little gal, I usually have some fun with it. If it is a dowdy frump, or a male, I say, "Sorry, I'm married", or "Sorry, I am not gay." Or, if I just want them to get the message, I say, "555-5555." Some give me a second look. Some enter that number.

I can understand why they ask for your zip code, but phone number ...........?

And, I have NEVER had a telemarketer say where they got my phone number.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

There is a Harbor Freight credit card that gives points on purchases toward purchases of items at Harbor Freight. They give twice as many points for purchases from HF as for other purchases.

I haven't signed up, but I did receive such an offer through the mail.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Hartzell

I never said it would. It will prevent a boat load of spam in your email account however. They don't respect any privacy.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Some use the phone number as a file code so they can look up your order or for a mailing list. Our local video rental uses the phone number when doing the rental thing. Others use it to identify you to the customer service rep when you call. It is couples with caller ID and as soon as the CS person gets the call, they have your information on the screen available.

Most times I prefer not to give it or use a bogus number. OTOH, if you have a special order and they need to contact you . . . . . Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

||Some use the phone number as a file code so they can look up your order or ||for a mailing list. Our local video rental uses the phone number when doing ||the rental thing. Others use it to identify you to the customer service rep ||when you call. It is couples with caller ID and as soon as the CS person ||gets the call, they have your information on the screen available. || ||Most times I prefer not to give it or use a bogus number. OTOH, if you have ||a special order and they need to contact you . . . . .

Also some stores use your phone number to code sales. I bought a shirt for my dad at a Men'S Wearhouse store a few months ago. It didn't fit, wife took it back. We had given them a made-up phone number, and could not remember what we told them. They refused to exchange the shirt. I drove down there with the actual receipt and got the job done. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

You know, this one just doesn't ring right. I mean, a $5.50 an hour telemarketer knows where the company they work for got your name?

Come on. You're a liar right?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Reply to
George

Citibank has a card that gives a point for every dollar and 5 points for every dollar spent at grocery stores, gas stations, and drug stores... 5000 points = $50.00 in gift certificates to well know places like Home Depot Sears, JC Penney, ect.

Reply to
Leon

"SteveB" wrote in news:f_rsc.5215$_o.871@fed1read05:

Discount retailers tend to do this in order to increase their revenue streams, unfortunately.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

In Canada, Canadian Tire has a master card that does the same thing. 1 cent on every dollar purchase no matter where and more if it is a Canadian Tire purchase. So far I've got over $700 worth of free stuff from them and because I pay the bill every month haven't paid a cent of interest. Air miles I don't need but free toys from their tool dept. every so often is a great deal.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Gibson

They certainly sell their mailing list. I had a new mailing address and started getting tons of tool etc. catalogs (many of them interesting, some not) after ordering a couple of little things from them.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Is your phone number on the national do not call list. If so than you have the telemarketer. When someone calls me i ask their name and tell them I am on the DNC list. You would not beleve how fast they hang up.

Henry Doolittle

Reply to
Henry

Good point, this may be a work around for it. IIRC, if you do business with a company they can still call you.this means magazines you subscribe to, credit cards, etc. Maybe they are using this as an extension of that. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I guess I don't understand some folks' obsession with answering the telephone. I know that there are family and personal situations that can and do require standing by a telephone for urgent calls.

That said, I must state the PhoneZap hookup really works. My wife and I have adjusted to ignoring the first telephone ring. Since the second ring depends on the caller pressing 2 on their telephone, auto-dialers are eliminated. We are finding 99.99% of the sales calls are blocked. We have Caller ID on our line to supplement the Zapper if we are expecting a call.

Friends and relatives are quickly trained.

I have no connection to any Zapper business; just a satisfied user.

Jack

Reply to
John Flatley

WRONG!

Companies with whom you have business dealings may still call to maintain customer relations.

Leading with the names of business with whom the OP was dealing covers their posterior. Unless you're in Wisconsin, I guess.

Reply to
George

IIRC, the OP said the TM scum told him they "got" the phone number from Harbor Freight. That doesn't mean he'd done business with the TMS' company.

Too many of these people are looking for ways around the law. It probably pays to check with the enforcement types first, but I'd get name, rank and serial number of the TMS, plus his company, plus making a note of the company that sold me down the river, and I'd report the bastards if at all possible.

Charlie Self