Harbor Freight - NO PRIVACY

Page 1 of 2
I have, on occasion, purchased from Harbor Freight. Today I got a call from a credit card telemarketer saying that they got my name from Harbor Freight. Their statement, on their web page, that your information is for order processing only and they do not release it to third-parties is an out-and-out lie.
If you value your privacy, DO NOT BUY FROM HARBOR FREIGHT!

Do not give them your email address.
Joel. phx

How does that prevent them from calling you?
Steve.

I never said it would. It will prevent a boat load of spam in your email account however. They don't respect any privacy.
Joel. phx

Have you contacted Harbor Freight? _Perhaps_ someone in their employ who has access to your info is, _contrary to their policy_ releasing/selling/providing that info to outside telemarketers? Express your displeasure to HF...politely, and see what they say.
DexAZ

If you value your privacy, do not give out that information. .......... DUH ....................
I have had retailers ask me my phone numbers. If it is a cute little gal, I usually have some fun with it. If it is a dowdy frump, or a male, I say, "Sorry, I'm married", or "Sorry, I am not gay." Or, if I just want them to get the message, I say, "555-5555." Some give me a second look. Some enter that number.
I can understand why they ask for your zip code, but phone number ...........?
And, I have NEVER had a telemarketer say where they got my phone number.
Steve

Some use the phone number as a file code so they can look up your order or for a mailing list. Our local video rental uses the phone number when doing the rental thing. Others use it to identify you to the customer service rep when you call. It is couples with caller ID and as soon as the CS person gets the call, they have your information on the screen available.
Most times I prefer not to give it or use a bogus number. OTOH, if you have a special order and they need to contact you . . . . . Ed
||Some use the phone number as a file code so they can look up your order or ||for a mailing list. Our local video rental uses the phone number when doing ||the rental thing. Others use it to identify you to the customer service rep ||when you call. It is couples with caller ID and as soon as the CS person ||gets the call, they have your information on the screen available. || ||Most times I prefer not to give it or use a bogus number. OTOH, if you have ||a special order and they need to contact you . . . . .
Also some stores use your phone number to code sales. I bought a shirt for my dad at a Men'S Wearhouse store a few months ago. It didn't fit, wife took it back. We had given them a made-up phone number, and could not remember what we told them. They refused to exchange the shirt. I drove down there with the actual receipt and got the job done. Texas Parts Guy

Discount retailers tend to do this in order to increase their revenue streams, unfortunately.
--
Bill

On 24 May 2004 22:51:59 GMT, the renowned Woodchuck Bill

They certainly sell their mailing list. I had a new mailing address and started getting tons of tool etc. catalogs (many of them interesting, some not) after ordering a couple of little things from them.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

For Zip code, I usually give an old one, the GE Schenectady NY Main Plant. 12345. Amazing how many people don't think that is a real zip.

jk

Easy to do. Just get the first three numbers of your exchange,such as 555 and then start dialing from 0000 to 9999. I bet I would be able to get your phone number.
Regards, Bernd
There is a Harbor Freight credit card that gives points on purchases toward purchases of items at Harbor Freight. They give twice as many points for purchases from HF as for other purchases.
I haven't signed up, but I did receive such an offer through the mail.
Derek

Citibank has a card that gives a point for every dollar and 5 points for every dollar spent at grocery stores, gas stations, and drug stores... 5000 points = $50.00 in gift certificates to well know places like Home Depot Sears, JC Penney, ect.
In Canada, Canadian Tire has a master card that does the same thing. 1 cent on every dollar purchase no matter where and more if it is a Canadian Tire purchase. So far I've got over $700 worth of free stuff from them and because I pay the bill every month haven't paid a cent of interest. Air miles I don't need but free toys from their tool dept. every so often is a great deal.
Rick

And the charge the store where you bought your stuff up to 5% for handling the money. Ask the store for a 5% or 3% cash discount (or whatever they pay in vendor fee) if you don't charge it. Banks and finance companies are nothing more than leeches, financial parasites who siphon funds from the economy without adding comparable value to the overall proposition. They depend on "stupid consumers" for their survival. Vladimir Lenin, father of Soviet communism called them "useful idiots". Banks think of you much the same way -- a number on a computer that they can bilk for a few more bucks. And the bigger the bank, the worse they are.
CE
Leon wrote:

Yup...I agree...banks and finance companies don't deserve to make a profit from the services they render. They should do it for free...and the people that work for them should just donate their time. Of course...then they wouldn't be able to buy the goods & services that the rest of us, more deserving people, provide.
Clarke Echols wrote:

And the charge the store where you bought your stuff up to 5% for handling the money. Ask the store for a 5% or 3% cash discount (or whatever they pay in vendor fee) if you don't charge it. Banks and finance companies are nothing more than leeches, financial parasites who siphon funds from the economy without adding comparable value to the overall proposition. They depend on "stupid consumers" for their survival. Vladimir Lenin, father of Soviet communism called them "useful idiots". Banks think of you much the same way -- a number on a computer that they can bilk for a few more bucks. And the bigger the bank, the worse they are.
CE
Leon wrote:

Mr. Echols,
Calling potential customers, "stupid consumers" because we have and use credit cards is not going to help your DC kit sales.
What "comparable value" do you provide? You make and sell DC kits for consumers --- to make money, plain and simple. You take no responsibility for the product design (it's someone else's), and no responsibility for how well the kit works after it's assembled, plus you do not offer a product warranty that I could find.
How does that differ from a bank or credit card company? They also offer services --- to make money.
According to your web site, you state, "We accept bank and postal money orders and cashiers checks as payment" - which cost the consumer.
Then you state "We do not accept credit-card or Pay-Pal because of the fees charged by banks and others to the seller, and we would have to add them to our pricing structure. Many banks (though not all) offer cashiers checks at no charge to regular customers, and postal money orders are usually quite economical."
One could surmise that you are a hypocrite sir.
Your site as well as your business acumen - still need work. The last time you posted here, you tried scare tactics - we still aren't biting.
Bob S.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:37:52 -0600, Clarke Echols

I believe that's how Lenin referred to the brainless drones who could be convinced to unquestioningly parrot the "Party" line...like slamming capitalism in the name of "fairness." Duh.
-- Chuck *#:^) chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com Anti-spam sig: please remove "NO SPAM" from e-mail address to reply. <><
September 11, 2001 - Never Forget