Harbor Freight, my first visit

A friend of mine set up his Lionel in a guest room. He put a shelf around the top 1 foot of the room. Painted murals of trees and just fully did up the room. It was awesome. The whole rooms motif was that.

Later he did his entire attic. He got hit with the bug again. Wound up on one of the magazines.

Really the guest room is a nice way of displaying and keeping it out of the way, high and not a bother ..

Reply to
tiredofspam

My house is pretty small so not much in the way of extra space. But I remember as a kid a buddy's day had done the same thing in their basement. No murals but it went thru walls and everything. I'll get inspired when I figure out how to run the train from the Keg refrigerator in the shop to the deck, and how to have a car that delivers a cold one. 8-)

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

5# box of 3" deck screws, approximately 275. One charge almost drove them all.
Reply to
Leon

We're in the (long) process of moving from a house on a slab to one with a

inherited from my FIL set up. The rest goes to wood working. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I almost always use the 12V Bosch. It's nice and compact and working overhead with it isn't a problem. I almost always use the 12V drill, rather than the

18V, too.

I haven't had to do it, but the Bosch batteries look to be rebuildable.

Reply to
krw

The right tool for the job. I get a kick out of these guys buying the most powerful (and heaviest) tool they can find and the most service it will ever get is four screws to mount a curtain rod.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mike M wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

All you need is a angled stack of cans and a trip lever. When the appropriate car passes, the trip lever activates and a can comes down into the car. Lionel probably made a similar accessory, but it handled little pieces of pipe and not 12 oz cans.

;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Or if you want something fancy I'm sure that something could be cobbled up with Lego Mindstorms and a Meccano set.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:13:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Too much work. Just train the family dog to open the fridge and grab a beer. Much easier.

Reply to
Dave

------------------------------------ As in the current Budweiser commercial with a dog named "WeGo"?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:19:21 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Actually, I was thinking of a friend who has a service dog that really does fetch beer, but WeGo will do.

Reply to
Dave

I actually have the barrel loader, but I don't think I could find cans that small.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Geez, I remember when you'd just tell your wife or kid to go get you one... :)

Reply to
Larry W

For the price of a wife and kid you can buy a _lot_ of robotic stuff.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Mike M wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Details, details...

Use it as a template for building a bigger one. The motion's the same (I think) so all you've got to do is Tim Taylor it. Argh ARgh Argh argh!

Ok, maybe not that big... Kegs are too big for any model train to handle. You've got to get up to the ride-on style for that.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Be an interesting project to try though. Four or so tracks side by side with multiple cars on each?

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hamster.jcbsbsdomain.local:

How big's the average Keg? Somewhere on the order of 5 gallons? That's about 40 lbs of _Liquid_ weight (that poses some other issues). Four track side-by-side, assuming an evenly distributed load would mean 10 lbs/track, and would probably require 3 or 4 Lionel-sized cars for the length per track. With 3 or 4 locomotives per train, if the axles on the cars hold, you might just do it... until you came to a curve.

Now, if you're thinking about cans or bottles, that's easy. One can or bottle to a car, and make the train as long as your locomotives can pull it. (Mike M said "Keg refrigerator", so that's why I was thinking Keg.)

Gondolas would probably be best. Their shallow sides would hold the weight nice and low in the car, unlike hoppers or various flatbeds, where the weight would be higher and more prone to tip. Playing "train wreck" was fun at 5, but now there's precious cargo on board!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Your original idea could be made to work. You would just have to arange so a car could pull up under the tap which could be controlled by a solenoid. The bigger problem would be protecting the track from W. Washington weather. It's about 100' from the shop to the deck with woods and driveways. You would need some kind of cover for the glass to minimize spillage and you could probably due that magnetically thru the track to the car. If I get my leg working right again it's probably better to walk for the excercise.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M