Harbor Freight, my first visit

Color me really impressed! Most drills don't do more than a couple dozen. The high torque kills the batteries fast.

Nice.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
On 6/25/2012 8:11 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

It does not add up. LOL I wonder if it is the electronic circuitry and the brush-less motor..

Either that or you were padding the hell out of your figures. ;) Oh, I used to use 3.5" screws for decks, then I found the 25# boxes of 3-inchers were cheaper. Then the local store changed to another hardware supply and prices dropped significantly. I haven't yet priced deck screws at SASCO but will when I swing though Medford today.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
On 6/25/2012 1:27 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

5# box of 3" deck screws, approximately 275. One charge almost drove them all.

Leave it to you. ;-)
BTW, I have both Bosch 12V and 18V impact drivers. I'm not about to give either up, or buy a Festool to replace them. I like Festool stuff but one of their drivers isn't in the future for this pup.
On 6/24/2012 8:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Actually I have an 18 bolt Bosch impact too. ;~) I very seldom used it over the 12 volt Makita.
I certainly do not recommend replacing an impact with a more expensive Festool T series for the sake of eliminating the impact. My Makita batteries had been replaced once and were due again and both the drill and impacts had been used a lot in the last 7 years, it was time to replace. My wife pushed me over the edge by getting it for me for Christmas. I also would never have believed the way these things perform, I was seriously interested in knowing that Festool is supposed to offer a naked impact later this year. Now not so much. Now days I have the Bosch impact as a back up should I need the extreme, but so far 6 months later I have not had the need.

I almost always use the 12V Bosch. It's nice and compact and working overhead with it isn't a problem. I almost always use the 12V drill, rather than the 18V, too.

I haven't had to do it, but the Bosch batteries look to be rebuildable.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 21:56:11 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The right tool for the job. I get a kick out of these guys buying the most powerful (and heaviest) tool they can find and the most service it will ever get is four screws to mount a curtain rod.
On 6/23/2012 1:28 PM, Steve B wrote: ...

There's a point at which skill level (or, more precisely, lack thereof) pretty much negates the quality of the tool. After a point, then the talent can make use of the tool's full capabilities.
A rank novice will not make a Strad sound like anything more than what they will get on a starter...give each to an experienced violinist and the difference will be clearly evident.
On 6/23/2012 2:41 PM, dpb wrote:

Yep, instrument "tone" has many components, but none more important than the _hands_ of the artist.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Perzactly. Do analyze the tools before you buy 'em. Often, the mid-priced tool is the best all-around value.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
On 6/23/2012 6:47 AM, HeyBub wrote:

In previous posts it has been mentioned that the HF multi tool will loose it's grip of the cutter and vibrates such that your hands may tingle afterward. Not every one experiences that so, are you feeling lucky today? :~) The Fein does not have that problem and or present a hit or miss performance experience.
HF is what it is. If it has something you need to use once or twice or on occasion it may be just right for you. If not you can do better.

This is the second time in my life that I could really use such a tool. The first time was a half dozen years ago and I used a hand saw.
If I used it every day, I'd not hesitate to buy the Fein. For the half hour of use I cage it, it was a good value for the cheap-o. Now that I have it, if I find more uses, I'll upgrade.
On 6/23/2012 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

But you know. ;~) now that you have it you will use it more.
When the Domino first came out I thought I would probably use it as much ad my previous biscuit cutters. In 20 years I probably used 2000 biscuits. In the last 5 years I have probably used, well I am on my second replacement case of 5 mm Domino's. IIRC the initial assortment set of Domino tenons included 600 5mm dominoes. The replacement cases have 1800 dominoes. Not to mention the replacement case of 6mm tenons.
So I have probably used 4,000 dominoes in all sizes and double that number for the mortises that were cut to receive them. ;~)

Yabbut, the Domino is fun to use, maybe not so much after 4000 of the little buggers, but fun anyway.
I can remember the first time I used my new biscuit joiner. There was never any fun there, not even in the beginning.
On 6/23/2012 9:30 AM, Dave wrote:

The no tear out hole is addicting!
On 6/23/2012 10:23 AM, Leon wrote:

That was the experience with the cheap drill press I bought. I never had a drill press before and now find a barely use my hand drill.
I would like to have a drill press with a little larger throat, to be able to cut large thicknesses.
On 6/23/12 6:47 AM, HeyBub wrote:

It doesn't. Stop being silly. It's great for the price and that is all.
Put it this way.... Give it a $100 price and put it in the same store as any other $100-ish multitool. Who will choose the HF? No one.
--

-MIKE-