Harbor Freight Multi-tool Video Demonstration

I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video demonstrating the cutters and scraper.

Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads, but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. Sorry.

-MIKE-

I have a concern about not cutting your skin. Does that make it useless for carving a turkey?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can't tell if you're being serious or kiddin around, Ed.

I honestly don't know. These tools count on the the fact that whatever being cut is hard and unmovable. So it may not do so well with meat.

Personally, I find the $10 electric carving knives pretty darn good for turkey. Or a *sharp* knife.... which none of us have any excuses for not having. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Actually the material can be soft but as you stated it has to remain stationary and not move with the blade.

.com

Reply to
Leon

Always use the proper tool for the job.

Sawzall.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Thanks for the video, Mike. I was surprised that the tool cut as well as it did.

Years ago I had a bad, bad lust for a Fein, but the one I wanted was $500, or something like that. It had all manner of cutters, a scraper, tile tool, etc and a cool metal box all in a kit. But it was $500.

Almost every time I install a new door and jamb I wish I had a multitool from somebody. Looking at that thing buzz through the piece of wood you cut with the flat blade makes me think that at $35 I would be silly not to buy one for cutting jambs and trims away from existing flooring. I am sure I would find other uses for it if I had it.

So do tell; it is as miserable a sanding device as the Fein? I used a Fein on a project and it was great for small, flat details. As a sander, it sucked at just about everything else I tried it on.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Then I did my job well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I also tried mine and was really impressed with how well it cut. Just like with a sawzall if the wood isn't clamped or otherwise secured it won't cut well. The tool also feels very solid and doesn't vibrate like you might think. So to answer comments in the other thread I doubt it would be useful in the nightstand drwaer.

Didn't try the sander yet.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

it for under-cutting.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hell no! Just remember to slice up the turkey while it's frozen.

RicodJour

Me, too. And I suppose if it takes the other brands' blades, it would cut even better. I noticed it got a little faster one it wore off the powder-coat paint job.

Robert, get it. Now. Why are you still reading this? Go to HF and get it. At $35, this is a "kick me" tool. As in, "please kick me for not buying it."

I'm guessing you try to make at least $35/hr, so this thing would pay for itself in time savings by the second or third door. Even if this is slow for a multi-tool, it's immeasurably faster and easier than hand cutting.

I videoed some sanding, but ran out of memory on the card and it didn't record.

The sanding worked pretty well. It seemed to "skate" on the paint until the gloss wore off, then it started to bite really well and was fairly aggressive, getting down to wood fairly quickly. I may record some more video and post it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I tried mine out and am impressed. Cuts like it should with little vibration. A tad too noisy, but for $35 it's a steal. Lent it to my son as he had to tweak the bottom of a prehung door we installed. The idiots who put up the studs and boards in his basement retreat (that's us) made it impossible to hang the damn door properly

SWMBO now says I have no excuse for ripping out the tile in the bathroom.

Larry

HeyBub wrote:

Reply to
TD Driver

Yeah, I noticed the little round sections on the flat edge sort of act as guides. I'll recored that if I make another video.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Cool, it's off to HF I guess.

I suppose you had an off-screen assistant that unplugged the tool while you changed the blade and then quickly plugged it back > I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

mothion. Fein informed me that the Multimaster will cut faster if you work it back and forth like you are slicing a piece of bread with a knife, yup he was right.

Reply to
Leon

Foot switch. I use it on just about everything.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thank you, makes perfect sense! I will try that on the next "finger" test. :-)

If you've ever read a HF "manual," you will know they leave a lot to be desired.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The HF tool isn't variable speed, is it? The variable speed on the Fein makes a _big_ difference. Your point to Robert about payback time is a good one, and for anyone who earns money with the thing, wants to keep from burning out blades prematurely, and values their time, the same point can be made for a $250 tool.

'course, for my brother's birthday I'll get him the cheap one. I've been telling him for a while now that he should get a multitool, but he's just not listening. ;)

RicodJour

No variable seed.

You're right about spending the $250. But for 35 bucks with a great return policy, it's a no-brainer for someone who still has the jury out on the matter. And heck, if you decide you want to $250 one, keep the HF as a spare or a "dedicated blade" machine.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've been offloading superseded tools to the next generation. They're setting up apartments and such, and such a tool is way safer and much more versatile than most any other cutting tool. And I give them ear plugs!

RicodJour