Harbor Freight framing gun

Page 2 of 2

I just called out local hardware store to see what the rental cost is. $30 a day. Weekend is 2x that, no break on a Sunday.
I'm sure they are renting a better quality tool (Bostitch) than a Harbor Freight, but if you need it for three or four days, the HF is starting to look pretty good.
J, I bought their Full Head nailer a while back. Haven't used it much but while I was at the store contemplating whether I should plonk down $90 for it, another customer noticed me and said he had built his whole house with his. He did mention that he had problems initially with penetration as well but using coated nails solved the problem. He insisted that using the coated ones would not cause the same problem. I haven't had to buy nails just yet but the coated ones I've used so far seem to penetrate just fine. YMMV of course. Cheers, cc

I bought the $99 46240-7VGA last year and it has worked great. I only use it occasionally, but it will drive 3" ring shank glue covered nails and 3.25" framing nails. Hasn't jamed on me yet.
Wish i could say the same about the HF brad nailer I bought.
You may want more than a simple pancake compressor, too. I bought a cheap $89 one from HF and it can't keep the pressure up high enough for the gun (it needs 90psi at a minimum). The problem with this compressor is you can't change the pressure at which it kicks on. So I end up disconnection the hose at the gun to bleed some pressure to get the compressor to kick on. Otherwise the nails won't go all the way in.
rob