Harbor Freight dust collector

Does anyone have the Harbor Freight 45378, 2 HP, (Sears HP!), dust collector? I looks much like Grizzly's 1-1/2 HP unit,($239 + freight), and also the JDS unit, ($300 with 5 micron bags + freight). When HF has it on sale it goes for $150, no freight over $50. Greg

I've had this unit for a couple years without any problems at all. I also recently found the following site specifically regarding this unit:
http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/WoodNet%20HFDC%20Thread.htm
Lance

and
on
That is what I was looking for! I think I will give it a try. With that price I can still upgrade to better bags and still be below anyone's price. Too bad the $119 price is over! Thanks. Greg
Greg O wrote:

You have to learn how to play the HF pricing games. Click on order from catalog and Use the model no 45378-3vga you'll get it for $149, try other numbers like 45378-5vga too. Also go to the Woodnet.net forums and ask people for help getting the best prices and for coupons.
jw

price.
Yes, I played with the numbers and the best I could find was $149. I ordered one today. Greg

I talked with a close relative, who's an industrial hygenist specializing in respritory health, about buying better bags for mine. His comment was that, even if the bags filtered very fine particles, the seals wouldn't so I'd still be breathing the fine dust. He convinced me the best approach is to locate the whole unit outside and then it doesn't matter what bags are on it. For now, I roll it out the door and use a long hose to connect to my piping, but eventually I'll build a small shed to house it.
Lance

price.
I probably will replace the bags, but will check it out first. For the $149 price I can replace the bags and still be ahead of the game. As far as putting the unit out side, I don't think that idea will work during our North Dakota winters! Greg
Lance Spaulding wrote:

Well yes, but also a lot of the fine dust is in the air and never gets to the DC. A complete system should include an air cleaner as well.
For now, I roll it out the door and use

Great if you can afford to heat and air condition the outdoors
j wrote:

Have you folks ever considered a 'clean room'? That with <5 micron coveralls, forced air protective breathing apparatus should keep you safe from any and all bad things in the shop (I not sure about anything you may ingest prior to putting on gloves after handling wood or supplies before entry to the airlock. Kidding aside, collect dust because it makes a friggin' mess and is a PITA to sweep. For fine filtering and air cleaning, an over the nose mask or painting respirator will do fine, or do as I do; rely on nasal hair and snot. Hank
Henry St.Pierre wrote:

This site really opened my eyes about dust collection. I suggest you look it over if you haven't.
http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone /
-- Mark
Henry St.Pierre wrote: <snip>

Are you using standard snot? Or have you upgraded to the gooey green stuff?
Tim

I'm not trying to acheive a clean-room with no dust but I do want to reduce as much as possible (both for health reasons and because it's a pain to clean up). In my case, I decided against buying the finer bags because I was informed it still wouldn't stop all the fine dust that forms on everything by the dust collector. For me, it's pretty simple to just put it outside and be done with it so that's what I'm doing. If I ever add heat to my shop, I might need to rethink it but I doubt it -- my dust collector just doesn't run often enough to worry about it.
Lance

<snip orig. post>

A fine idea that often is the best solution. However, note that if you're working in an air-conditioned or heated workshop, that sucker is going to suck all the heated/conditioned air out of your workshop in short order. That kind of heating drain can cost.
H.
I was looking at this model in the local Hf store the other day. I almost walked with one until I figured out that the $89 sale price tag referred to the 1 hp model behind it.
I would also like to know whether or not it sucks?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

If it sucks, then it doesn't suck. Or is it, if it doesn't suck, then it sucks?
;-)

I have the 2 hp model. Have it had almost a year and it works great. I've put alot of hours on it. I did purchase on of those seperator lids from Woodcraft and then a metal trash can. Great combo. Seldom have to empty the bags on the dust collector as long as I keep the metal trash can from getting full.
Think I paid around $140 or so.
James Hendrix

and
on