Harbor Freight Coming to Town!

Took my wife to a newly enlarge JoAnn Fabric Store this afternoon and found that it's next door neighbor will soon be Harbor Freight.
Within an approx. five Miles' radius we have Two HDs, a Lowes, two Cummins Tools, Costco, Woodcraft and Aces Hardware and not too far off we have Paxton Liberty Hardwood and Schutte Lumber.
If woodcraft is your hobby or profession, it's like paradise.... Maybe Lee Valley might even open a store here in the not too distance future (just kidding)?
Not bad huh?
Not sure if that addition is a step up or not:-) In any case, where are you? GerryG

Kansas City and the next nearest Harbor Freight is in Independent, MO about 21 miles away.

Of course it's a step up. His wife will appreciate his offering to take her to JoAnn's every now and then! I expect he will even develop a high appreciation for her sewing skills. Domestic harmony will reign and his life will be lengthened. Wilson

Well, having a Harbor Freight nearby is nice. They carry a few hard-to-find items. But, you really need to be careful about quality. I have bought very few "woodworking" tools from Harbor Freight, and none are "motorized" items.
WD wrote:

Harbor Freight. I will admit that it is a GREAT place to visit for tool junkies but I have probably replaced about one third of the tools and virtually all of the power tools I've gotten from Harbor Freight. I have concluded that they are ok for general purpose, hack around hand tools but if you do serious woodworking their tools are a liability more than a cost savings. I can't see saving $100 on a tool that could potentially ruin that fine piece of figured Cherry you are trying to mortise.
I have found their tools to be insufficiently hardened, wrong alloys, or are poorly machined and might be out of square or have easily stripped threads, etc. You need a hammer? Great, maybe they can supply a useful one. You want some cheap furniture pads to transport your finished work? HF is a bargain. You need a smoothing plane? Get a good one - it will last a lifetime and every cut will be satisfying rather than curse generating.
TWS
I live near a Harbor Freight and they never seem to have what I want when I want it.. always had to get "rain checks"..
I gave up and just use their web site now.. http://www.harborfreight.com/
They have a nice "wish list" setup that the prices change on, both when the price is changed and when the item is on sale..
Since they ship free with a purchase of $50 or more, I just add things to my wish list until the total is over $50 and throw all those "can't resist buying that, it's so cheap" items in the shopping cart..
I think that the thing to keep in mind at harbor freight is that you get what you pay for... don't expect quality at prices that low..
They're great for sanding disks and belts, chip brushes, vices (free shipping), etc... but I wouldn't buy a table saw there and expect the same quality or precision of a delta..
Mac
Every time I've tried this, they have been "out of stock" on some item that drops the total below $50. They ship the rest, and charge full shipping charges ( including un-requested "insurance"). Twice I received new sale catalogs the next day, advertising the "out of stock" items. You would have a hard time convincing me that there is a difference between "free shipping" and "scam".

I've had orders shipped with out of stock items that dropped the total below $50, but they still did not charge for shipping. Are you ordering by phone or from their website? I've ben using the website for years, can't remember the last time I phoned in an order.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:21:34 GMT, Larry Kraus

Mac 03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears