Harbor Freight Bandsaw Blades.

Page 3 of 3

Hmmm, things are getting a bit mixed up here. I was talking about blades on my table and miter saw. On my Delta bandsaw, I use Olson (I think they are the "regular", not Pro). They do everything I need.
I think this thread is pretty well done anyway....
Ed

Oh, is it? Because you say so, right? :-)
--

-MIKE-

LOL!
It just seems to always boil down to the idea that for some people, HF is junk... no redeeming value, they should be nuked. And when something I buy there fails, I'm right there with 'em! (grin)
But, it's all expectations. If someone expects a $10 blade to perform like a $100 blade, they are probably going to be disappointed. If someone expects a $19.99 angle grinder to perform like (and as long as) a $150 angle grinder, again... they are up for a disappointment. If they expect that $10 blade to cut through a 2x4, they will probably be satisfied. And, the expectations of a tradesman or high end hobbyist, are probably going to be very different than those of someone who puts up a deck once in their life, or has a couple fence posts they need to cutoff and never use that tool again.
This exact thread comes up with incredible regularity and it's always predictable who will respond and what they will say. I'm not saying we'll never see it again. (grin)
Ed

I get it. There are similar threads over in the drumming newsgroup, so I totally understand.
--

-MIKE-

I must be hallucinating. Did you just say countersteer?
MikeWhy wrote:

Counter what, now?
--

-MIKE-

Escuse me, my mistake. I didn't read carefully and jump the gun. We all contribute our two cents and someone must have gain something from it. :-)

(grin)... I really need to remember to put those in now and then. I could never get used to the :-) things.
Ed
My personal rule of thumb for blades at HF: If it's carbide and on sale, buy it, if it's a bandsaw or jig saw blade, run the other way.. I use their 10" carbide blades on the chop saw and like them, but the BS blades that I got there when I was really desperate were sharp for about 30 seconds and then wouldn't cut or track..
As Leon said, BS blades are not expensive... I have mine made up at a local saw shop and pay $12 to $14 for 105" blades that work very well.. YMWV

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Finally a post from someone who has tried the HF blades. Kudos.
--
Frank Howell

I missed that part, did Mac actually mention that he bought the cheap $10 blades that the OP was asking about?
Leon wrote:

You quoted it.
--

-MIKE-

LOL, That I did, didn't I . SNAKE!!

It was from total desperation, Leon... Broke my last blade, thinking that there were more in the cabinet, of course, and the saw shop was closed..
As I remember, the blades at least LOOKED like they were made of steel..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Thank you.
--

-MIKE-

Very interesting and informative thread. For you hardcore woodworkers, a band saw welder might be an valid option. Buy saw stock, weld your own to need. In metal work, a welder is a necessity. Here's a couple options.
http://toolmonger.com/2007/02/15/reader-finds-bandsaw-blade-welders /
nb
notbob wrote:

...learned how to do that in "college*."
We had to take a bent or broken blade, cut new ends, file, weld, file, install, run and cut with the side guides tight to make sure there was no speed bump at the joint. There was also some sort of tension tester that pulled on the blade at the joint.
[* it was more like 13th and 14th grade. :-) ]
--

-MIKE-

I looked into that a few years ago, but how much would it actually save per blade, and how much would the equipment cost? Then, there's the learning curve.. Plus the question of where do I use it? I wouldn't want something like that IN the shop.. I even have my grinders outside..
Bottom line for me is that for as little money as good blades cost, I'd prefer to spend my time turning wood and let the saw shop make a few bucks a blade..
Sort of like some of the turning tools that I've chosen to buy instead of make.. I'm not willing to learn blacksmithing and such to avoid buying a $100 tool..