Harbor Freight Bandsaw Blades.

I should add that when I bought my metal cutting band saw (from Grizzly) I bought 2 blades with it. Both blades broke after short use. I still have , and use, the Olson blades.

Max

Reply to
Max

I've had consistently better results than I should with Olson (hss) blades on my '54 Delta 14" w/riser. I'd bet there are better blades... I'd bet there are better woodworkers, too. On my little 9" benchtop (Sears Companion), I use either Sears (far east blades in Sears packaging, I'm sure) or Delta branded (same thing, I'd bet), with fine results.

Personally (and take it for what it's worth), I think taking your time is the lesson to learn as for as bandsaws go, regardless of the blades you use.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Since this old Jet is a three-speed, that advice is welcomed.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Anyone for whom I've done work will tell you I lean more towards quality than quantity. :-)

I'm just looking forward to the improved performance over my little, el cheapo 9-inch (insert euphemism, here).

Reply to
-MIKE-

Doesn't your Woodcraft sell Timberwolf?

And I second the recommendation - very good blades.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I don't recall, IIRC the last time I looked they were a little more expensive than buying dirrect. They don't have 150" blades so I don't keep up with them. I am still working on the several that came with my saw.

Oddly, I never could get a Timberwolf to do worth a darn on the Rikon, I had a blade made for it locally and it worked just fine along with the one that came with the saw. Again IIRC Laguna uses the same steel and or coils that Timberwolf does and those blades work very well on my Laguna.

Reply to
Leon

For sure, I'd get a bi-metal blade or two to take advantage of the higher speed.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Why not buy one of each to compare? Personally, I'd rather not fool around and buy the best blade I can get.

Reply to
Phisherman

In time, even bandsaw blades are disposable.

Reply to
Frank Howell

The last time I posted, what was essentially the same question, it appears no one in this group has tried the HF offering. So, as soon as I get my next

20% off coupon, I will buy one and be the sacrificial ram and bleat out the results.

Baa to all

Reply to
Frank Howell

Frank, I was about to make a comment that not a single person had tried one, just constant rants against HF. I'm in the same boat - I'm not in the market for a blade (have a few) and I've not tried HF. Buddy tried their circular blades, both 7 1/4 and 10 and swears they are great. Probably not in the class with WWII.

Reply to
DanG

I'm using a 1/2" Timberwolf for resawing on my 14" Rikon - the one with13" resaw. Works like a champ. I did round the back of the blade, did you try that?

And surprisingly, the blade that came with the Rikon wasn't all that bad as you said. We did have one on an 18" Rikon at the store that gave some problems resawing maple burl into veneer. Switched for a Timberwolf and there was a considerable improvement.

I've heard that the Highland Hardware resaw blade is even better, but I haven't tried it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

WHOA! Thanks for that link. Those blades are 20 bucks at Woodcraft. Your link has them at HF prices. Nice.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, the biggest problem was keeping the blade in one spot relative to the back thruss guide. the blade would move forward and backward about 1/8" when turning and not cutting. Timberwolf and I had several conversations over the matter.

So far I am pretty impressed with what Laguna sells and they are not that badly priced on the standard type blades. I'll probably stick with them.

Reply to
Leon

Help me understand this. Because the blade has HSS teeth, you don't have to worry about heat fatigue when running fast? When cutting metal, too?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've got 10" blades from HF on both table and chop saws right now. They are ok. Hell, for the $10-$20 apiece I paid, they are great. They are fine for rough to "rustic" projects. When I start on some finer projects, I'll probably get better blades.

Hmmm.... for that matter, my chop saw is a 25 year old Black and Decker.

*It* probably ought to get upgraded.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

High carbon steel loses its temper when heated to relatively low temperatures. Has more to do with hardness and edge retention more so than fatigue strength. HSS is much more tolerant of high heat. Since it can tolerate high heat better, you can run the saw at higher speeds, getting faster and smoother cuts (assuming it has enough power).

Reply to
MikeWhy

my table and miter saw. On my Delta bandsaw, I use Olson (I think they are the "regular", not Pro). They do everything I need.

I think this thread is pretty well done anyway....

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

(grin)... I really need to remember to put those in now and then. I could never get used to the :-) things.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Oh, is it? Because you say so, right? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-