Harbor Freight 7" Jointer

Has anyone purchased one of these? Comments?? Good or Bad. My brother-in-law purchased one of these and the quality looks good but I am a little concerned that the 7" blade will be hard to find as a replacement. I would replace the blade with a good set as soon a possible.

Reply to
DScheffold

DScheffold asks:

I can't comment on the jointer. I didn't even notice one last week in my first trip into an HF store. But I did check, and Freud does not carry 7" knives. You quite possibly would have to cut down 8" knives to fit, not a particularly difficult job if you're careful.

Charlie Self "Cabbage: A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Reply to
Charlie Self

I have one, purchased long before I knew any better (1991?). The motor never worked. HF tech support was useless. It was months after receipt and the thought of trying to ship the ting back just did not seem woth it. A couple of years went by and I came across a spare motor and a built a dust-catching mobile base. Now it performs reasonably well. The 42" bed is a bit on the short side for 6" machines however.

The only 7" knives I have been able to find were from HF. The edges dulled on initial impact with pine. Useless. 6" freud blades fit in the machine just fine.

For the $159 I think that I spent on this thing, I have probably gotten more than my money's worth.

I plan on buying an 8" machine in the spring if the tax man smiles on me. I'll bet I can get $150 for it :-) (1.5hp motor, mobile base, extra knife set).

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Thu, Dec 9, 2004, 12:20pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie=A0Self) says: last week in my first trip into an HF store.

Well, what was your impression, Charlie? I like to look around, even if I don't buy anything.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

JOAT asks:

Lotta--uh, yeah--stuff there. Some of it looked half decent, some didn't. I didn't buy anything (but we'd mainly gone out to pick up a tool for a review). My buddy did, but I think he's incapable of going to a tool store without buying *something* if for no other reason than to piss off his wife.

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Thu, Dec 9, 2004, 9:41pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie=A0Self) Lotta--uh, yeah--stuff there. Some of it looked half decent, some didn't.

Yeah, there's a lot of that. Let us know what you think, when you go back and look a bit closer.

They've got a lot of stuff, that's pretty inexpensive, and works well enough. I've gotten several of the 3-piece "vice-grip" sets. I have no idea what their useful life would be; they work fine, but with two sons, they tend to have disappeared by the time I need one; so buy another set. At about $6-7 for the set, on sale, can't beat the price. Costs a lot more than that, for just one, in the local hardware store.

Way I figure, some of the stuff I buy there, I may not use more than 3-4 times total (or never, see vice-gips, above). So, if it's got a useful life of 6 uses, I figure I'm money ahead buying one, rather then spending money on something capable of standing up to daily use.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

I bought one of their 7" jointers about 3-4 years ago and it's worked fine for me. I bought a couple sets of replacement blades from HF when I ordered it and they seem to hold an edge OK (although the hardest wood I've ran through it has been oak). You do need a magnetic jig to properly align the bladed though.

Lance

Reply to
Lance Spaulding