Happy Birthday to me...

I was given a Tormek for my birthday. This is not something I'd buy for myself, as I'm decent with the stones and diamond plates.

I was going to return it, but then I decided to try it out.

This thing is surprisingly effective and brainless to use... I'm keeping it!

**
**

B A R R Y

Because of its slow speed and the fact that it's wet and feels smooth - BE AWARE - IT CAN REMOVE YOUR FINGER PRINTS AND TISSUE BELOW - AND YOU WON'T FEEL IT 'TIL YOU'RE DONE SHARPENING. (DAMHIKT).

Reply to
charlieb

For the wrong element, that could be useful.

I'm impressed at the quality and speed of an edge I put on two chisels during my initial mucking around with the thing.

I can get the same edge quality on my water stones and diamond plates, but with far more hassle.

**
**

B A R R Y

It's a great tool. DO NOT pour the water down the drain, clean out the water tray in the yard. The sedement is heavy and will eventually clog your drain.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the tip.

I don't have a sink or drain in my basement shop, so I dump non-toxic liquids out the walk-out back door, in the yard.

The cat bowl, too, even though I'm not so sure it's non-toxic.

**
**

B A R R Y

Does it have the new truing tool? Just this year, or late last, Tormek improved their truing tool so that that you use a screw-type method to move the tool across the stone. The old one used hand pressure and was a bit tricky.

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

Happy Birthday, Barry! (We won't ask)

Birthdays a GOOD for you... the more you have, the longer you live..

My oldest brother is what I call (enviously) an "anal sharpener"... His turning tools are sharp enough to please most surgeons, etc...

He bought a cheaper knock-off of the Tormek and later added the real thing.. I'm still trying to get him to bring down the cheapie for me.. lol

Anyway, he loves it.. Low heat sharpening, accurate jigs, nice honing, etc....

Enjoy it and be CAREFUL, as always..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I bought a used Tormak, and got the upgrade kit to convert the old truing tool to the new screw-feed version (i.e. I just keep the diamond point). This is very nice! I like the new gouge setting tool as well.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Sat, Jul 14, 2007, 7:11pm snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B=A0A=A0R=A0R=A0Y) doth sayeth: I was given a Tormek for my birthday. This is not something I'd buy for myself,

Well happy unbirthday buddy (birthday wishes are only good on the birthday itself, every other day is an unbirthday). Nice you got a toy you can enjoy.

That's usually the type of things I get from my mother, something I'd not buy for myself - and I damn sure whish no one else would buy them for me either. I'll happily accept T-shirts, boxers, or lcorice; anything else I'd prefer to OK first, or not OK. Used to provide a list of acceptable books, got something I every time. LOL Happ unbirthday.

J T