Happiness is: ?

When you explain to SWMBO that you really do need a new tool and she understands why.
Allen
I always found true blonde to be the finest definable measurement to me...
Happiness is the end of the job, happy clients, check in hand, and everyone paid. Going to my buddy's shop to sit around his woodburning stove on a cold night and take in a stogie and some good bourbon.
Robert

Sounds like it was almost worth missing a good gumbo for?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07
Swingman wrote:

Not worth missing HOMEMADE gumbo from a real cajun. Although I sure do like poking at the fire and sipping that Evan Williams...
Robert
Swingman wrote: | The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop | specific "Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites: | | Happiness is:
After four years of slowly going broke making and trying to sell an out-of-the-mainstream product ... having a positive mention in a magazine article trigger a sudden onslaught of orders (not from the expected home owners - but from home builders).

Alright! Great to hear! Good luck to you on this new opportunity.
Mark & Juanita wrote: | On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 22:15:35 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
| || Swingman wrote: ||| The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some ||| woodshop specific "Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my ||| favorites: ||| ||| Happiness is: || || After four years of slowly going broke making and trying to sell an || out-of-the-mainstream product ... having a positive mention in a || magazine article trigger a sudden onslaught of orders (not from the || expected home owners - but from home builders). | | | Alright! Great to hear! Good luck to you on this new | opportunity.
Thanks - I'm still hoping the light at the end of this tunnel isn't an oncoming train. <g>
if you do solid wood furniture Happiness is, QS english sycamore (think fiddle back -actually a maple) at $4/bf (ok so it was in a minimum quantity of 200bf but ...)
if you make a lot of jigs and patterns Happiness is, as much Finnish Birch Ply, mainly 3/4", "cut offs" - 10-14" wide by 3-5 feet long, and 2'x2' squares, as you want to load in your vehicle - for free AND club members who help you load it up.
if you're a turner Happiness is, first bandsaw mill cut offs of walnut and other orchard tree with occassional burls - for free
if you're a tool phreak Happiness is picking up a #45 with all the cutters AND a #78 complete for $150 at the Austin City Annual Garage Sale
If you're Space Challenged Happiness is getting a place with a 600 sf detached "garage"
If you like kids in the shop Happiness is kids coming over "to use the GIANT VACUUM CLEANER" and making most of the dust, chips and shavings disappear, along with spiders, spider webs and an occassional fly - right out of the air. (I bought a Half Sized Broom which the younger kids find fun to use. Tom Sawyer - great idea.
If you're a Shellac Fanatic Happiness is getting a 10 pound order of dewaxed shellac flakes in assorted flavors - all dewaxed of course, then going thru the ritual of grind to powder, pour in a canning jar full of alcohol, stirring, looking, stirring some more, waiting a while, looking again, shaking the jar, . . .
If you're a neander Happiness is hand cutting your first "light tight" dovetailed drawer or box.
If you're a Normite Happiness is a perfect cope and stick raised panel door - that fits perfectly.
If you're a Scary Sharp (tm) Keen Edger Happiness is "P" grade 1 micron diamond paper
There's more but I have to leave some for others.
charlie b

<snip>
If you're a wood turner Happiness is, the sound of a chainsaw at a neighbor's after a windstorm.
Thu, Jan 4, 2007, 2:01pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) says it doesn't make much to make him happy with: <snip> Happiness is: When your apron pocket tape measure, and the tape on your table saw fence, agree to a RCH ... verified repeatedly by each and every cut!
Happiness is looking down and seeing the chisel you just dropped is sticking in the floor, instead of your foot?
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky
When none of the brass screws in a 36" piano hinge snap off at the head.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

That is totally science fiction, bro.
You might as well have told me that James is dead.
Regards,
Tom Watson (Fairly Unbalanced)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

And ain't that a cry'n shame! ... the day before, on the 24th, my 21 year old daughter had just loaned me _her_ new JB, 50 tune anthology to rip onto my iPod, presaging the fact, but proving, once again, the girls got good taste.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07
Swingman wrote:

I want to change my vote.
What he said - definitely.
Four wall hanging tool cabinet doors, four 28" piano hinges comes to 9.33333333 lineal / linear feet of piano hinge - The Definition of a woodworker's "challenge".
charlie b
ok so one of the four doors sagged a little - no one's perfect
For me, yesterday. My sister wiggled her toes and my mother came out of her Alzheimer fog just long enough to talk to my sister over the phone. First time since my sister's accident. It really lifted both of their spirits up immensely, although they both realize they'll never see each other again.
Dork happiness? Got a Leigh DVD in the mail today. Almost 1-1/2 hours worth of drool, coming up. Dork happiness #2? My daughter want a piece of my woodworking for her wedding present.
Way to go Rob. Thanks for sharing. Hope you didn't use up your annual drool allocation.
Regards,
Rick
"Robatoy" wrote

Robatoy wrote:
| For me, yesterday. | My sister wiggled her toes
Fantastic! Is that an indication that she may be able to walk again?
Morris Dovey wrote:

all of us a solid boost of hope. She gets therapy twice every day at her house and she's in excellent spirits and a fighter. So when something like this suddenly pops up, it's progress. There are recoveries, of varying degrees, on record which span years in some cases.
We're keeping the faith.

Great!
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I made mention of her to my Mom when you updated us the other day ... if prayer can help, she's got some more assistance.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07