Hang Cabinet with Cardboard backing ??

What would be the best way to hang a cabinet like this (see link). The backing is cardboard so I only have 1/2" wood on the outer edges. Would like to hang it without any visible brackets.

have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood with a groove in each of them. Mount one on the cabinet and one on the wall, and then let it just lock in place. Is there a name for these, I could not find anything like that at the hardware store, and don't have the woodshop equipment to create such a groove.

Reply to
Albert

Sounds like you are talking about a french cleat. Never heard of a store-bought version.

Does the manufacturer of this cabinet not already provide a means for wall mounting? If not, I wonder if having the weight of the full cabinet not resting on the base would cause a problem.

If there is no facility for hanging, I'd get four small angle irons, and screw them to the under sides of the top and bottom piece, at the rear. Then screw through these into appropriate anchors in the wall.

Reply to
alexy

A couple of "IF's"

IF the dividers can be temporarily removed, AND IF you don't mind some small slits through the backing cardboard.

Get some L shpaed brackets from home depot, Maybe 2 inch legs by 1/2 inch wide or so. Get ones that have two holes in each leg.

Attach them to the wall with sheet rock anchors or into studs or however you are comfortable. Have the leg on the wall facing down and the leg that sticks out at the height you want the top of the cabinet.

Makes slits just below the under side of the top on the back (does that make sense?). Slide the cabinet onto the outstanding legs.

Remove the dividers and screw one 1/2 inch long screw up through each leg into the bottom side of the top.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Could you put a cleat inside each of the top compartments? You could screw through the top into the cleat and maybe through the side into the cleat. Then screw through the cleats and the back into the wall.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I'm not too sure that the joints between the sides and the top are strong enough hold the cabinet together, if you hang it by the top.

I'd think about making a added back from 1/4" stock, either masonite or plywood, and gluing or screwing it to the sides. Then you can anchor though the cardboard and the wood to the wall, assuming you can work around the cute little dividers.

Just my $.02

Old Guy

> I have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood

Reply to
Old guy

I'd be concerned about trying to hang it from the top too. You could do a floating shelf under it and avoid the problem entirely. The hardware to do a floating shelf is simple, it's just a rod with a plate at the back which you screw to the wall studs, and drill holes for the rods into the back of your shelf.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I saw a neat bracket affair in LOWES yesterday, I It consisted of two strips of aluminum, one with an integral bubble level that fastened to the wall and another that fastened to the object to be hung.

However, the thing I saw using your link was NOT designed to be hung. I could NOT see if there was a decent recess where the backing cardboard was affixed to the case material. Interested in this as my thought was to reinforce the backing with a sheet of Masonite cut to fit the recess exactly and seriously glued to case and backing. with such an arrangement, you could cut two strips of wood the width of the backing about three inches wide and 1/2" thick. then, cut each of those in half on a table saw using a 30 degree tilt on the blade.

Fixing (more adhesive) two of the strips to the wall and the other two to the case and back such that the strip on the wall had the angled edge form a grove into which the angled edge of the strips on the wall would fit nicely. (Same principle as te device at Lowes, cheaper and thinner with ability to glue it to cabinet (screw it to wall studs)

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I think that would depend on your meaning of "hang"...

If you want to hang it like a picture, find someone that has a shop and get a scrap of hardboard or plywood a few inches wide and just under 24" long.. Screw and glue it to the back across the top and either put screw eyes and with across the strip, or holes for hooks on the wall..

If you want a more permanent version, I'd spend a few more bucks and get a metal one, or at least one with a wood back.. I have a slightly larger unit, of sheet metal, I guess, that's been hung in 3 offices and 2 shops so far and is still "hanging in there"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

replying to Albert, J.P. wrote: This is an old thread, but I have noticed these available online at Home Depot, just metal and not wood.

Hillman picture and miror french cleat hanging system. One of the commenters mentions cleats, so it may be a good solution for those in this boat!

Reply to
J.P.

FWIW, ready-made French cleats are available from various makers and vendors in plastic, steel, aluminum, wood (and probably other materials I haven't even thought of). The few times I've used them in my own work I've always made my own of a hardwood such as maple.

Reply to
John McGaw