Handyman Club of America - WTF?

Page 3 of 3
I think it's 12 dollars a year, (or was). I thought the magazines were worth that. I still have a bunch of them. I got into the habit of misplacing their invoices, and eventually the magazines and invoices stopped coming. Of course the "free gifts" are usually crap except for the handydandy plastic drill size gauge. I actually use that on occasion. I think they make most of their money endorsing woodworking tools and other products. They didn't strike me as scammers like the bogus credit card losers, etc.
Tom Dooley wrote:

    They must make money somewhere. I can't imagine there being enough silly people to take them up on their offer for the lifetime membership.     I don't recall what the magazine subscription might be. They took a notion that I had subscribed and have been sending it to me.     I finally got around to reading their letter. - Well, looked it over. I guess the $24 was that they have faith that I am going to give them three hunnerd dollars for lifetime membership and for that I get three hundred and some dollars worth of free tools.     What a deal!!
    I wonder if anyone has ever gotten the tools to test?     I recall that being one of the things that folks went on about some years back. Everybody and his grandmother got glue spreaders. Some folks got some kind of sandpaper thingy.     Well, so far I got my glue spreader but can't find it. Maybe it is drill *and* wire gage? - I thought someone talked as if wire gage was a different gizmo. ?? Maybe same thing. I dunno. I didn't pay much attention to the thing. It got holes in it and numbers. ;-)     I got my free gift flashlight that popped the reflector out through the lens popping out when I put batteries in it. Super glue fixed that. Got the Swiss Army Pliers that a jaw broke off cutting a weedeater string. Got a pencil with this last stuff. I won't count the patch and window sticker. - Hell, I would not even put Harley patches that folks gave me on my clothes. I like my Sportster when I got it running but if Harley wants me to be a billboard they can pay for the advertising space.     Got the six little screwdrivers that claimed to be ten dollar value. I forget if that was gift - I think it was gift - or tools to test. They seem to be of good enough quality - though I have not given study what the tips might do on tight screws. I twisted the dickens out of one of my cheap set on a tight screw once. Most of that 99cent set needed a bit of JB Weld to solid up the bit in the handle.
    Anyway - Maybe I will take look at Google again for them posts I looked at from some years ago. Seems I recall that some did send money and didn't get any of them tools to test.     Oh well, I would not have a lot of use for them "free" gifts they would send with the lifetime membership even if they did send them. Cordless drill would be a bit more handy than dragging cord here and there - but not handy enough that I'd pay much for one. - I suppose there was one time that I might could have used this Forstner bit set they offer as a free gift if I send them $27 a month for 12 payments. They got another free gift bit set that probably has most every wood bit a guy could want - but then I already got most every bit I seem to need.     Oh! Looked closer. It is screwdriver and bit set. - Would probably up my odds of finding the screwdriver I need. I must have ten of just about every size there is but they always hide from be.

--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.

I got hooked into their scam several years ago. Sent away for the 'trial' subscription to a series of books (first one free -- "no obligation").
Book was marginally interesting, but not worth paying for.
I sent in the cancellation notice immediately, and kept the 'free' book. They sent the next book anyway. I returned it, with another cancellation notice.
They sent the next one anyway. I kept it, sent them a letter informing them that it was unordered merchandise, and I had no obligation to either pay for it or return it. They sent the next one, which I also kept, and send them another copy of the previous letter.
After about six months of threatening letters, which I quit answering, they gave up.
Guess I didn't do too bad. Three free books with some marginally useful information.
--
Howard Lee Harkness
General insurance information: http://www.HLHins.com
Howard wrote:

readers would be to send the cancellation notice certified, return receipt requested. This would serve as proof should they ding your credit that they were properly notified. Otherwise it can turn into a he said/she said spitting match.
Glen
<SNIP>