Handyman Club of America - WTF?

Page 2 of 3
Check out number 12 here: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/credit-management/myths-reports.asp

Check out the statue at http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra.htm specifically at 605 and tell me where they get to place information back on for more than 7 years without a prior judgement, or reaffirmation of the debt, or the specific exemptions listed?

49? They added new states?
Craig,
the Handyman Club is a thread that pops up a couple of times a year, that's why you've got some funny answers. If you have a win with them, great, but most find them a waste of space. As for Leon, he is a valued contributor and well worth reading if you want to learn.
cheers,
Greg

Greg Millen wrote:

    LOL - I have gotten off on wring foot with folks in newsgroups from time to time. With some the relationship just deteriorated from there and with some we became as good of buddies as might come from forums such as Usenet.     Myself would likely not have a whole lot - or anything - of value to contribute here. Maybe the most novel thing I have accomplished with wood is some quick microwave cure on some green wood I wanted to use for knife handles. - Well, "quick" is spending most of a day messing with it. - I am more into metal.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists might try
to disrupt the democratic process.

Craig, big favor buddy? Set your line length to something that isn't 90-something. 72 works well.
Dave Hinz wrote:

    Okay. - Dunno how it got to 80. - Musta been drunk.
    ?? - just recalled that I was experimenting some time back because of some Mozilla things I found irritating.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.
Leon wrote:

    Well, spit it out for goodness sake and try to say something intelligent.     Do you always reply with something as stupid in response to someone describing an event?     Or maybe you can tell me how I have gone wrong so far, moron.     Maybe I should have lurked this group for a bit to discover who is the ever present idiot that every group seems to have resident.     But no matter. As it stands I am $14.00 and a glue spreader ahead. Maybe you are bitchy that they came out ahead on you so far? ;-)
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists might try
to disrupt the democratic process.
Craig wrote:

I'm resisting the urge to agree that you'd already found him (and I'm not referring to Leon, who is a well-regarded regular here).
I'm glad you're aware of the wisdom of lurking for a while before posting to a new group. The practice /does/ seem to help many people avoid appearing to be boorish idiots in front of an international audience.
Welcome to rec.woodworking.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

OK, ;~) Hook, Line, and Sinker.
Seriously though, I was not trying to belittle you or make fun of you. This story of yours has been discussed over and over except with a different name. IF you get what you think you are going to get, it will be the first time that I have read of and that will be good for you. But, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

No. Sorry, I through it was just going to be the beginning of a thread that goes the same way over and over, which is is proving to be so far. I actually got the feeling that you worked for HMofA. NO ONE has ever given that publication such on going praise.

I suspect the check in the mail will turn out to be not what you have been lead to believe. Again, if it sounds too good to be true...

Probably so, as so far I think you are jumping to conclusions.

No, I think I have 14 of their glue spreaders and 4 or 5 drill gauges but still no oblication on my part or money out of my pocket to them.
Leon wrote:

    Cool. - But in relation to the response I was trying to belittle you or make fun of you for sake of the silly response. - Old newsgroup habit. Years ago I had approached the whole affair to be polite and have a go at polite exchange. As time went on I came to an attitude of WTF and to pretty much reflect what I perceive.     Your initial response certainly did not impress me as a constructive offering to some dumbshit newbie to your group.

    Praise? - I will have to look back at my original post. I thought I had speculated that it was some drug front or money laundering or bogus tax write off outfit. - ??     At any rate they had first impressed me as just another run of the mill rip-off but then came to make me wonder if it isn't some folks who just don't have their shit all that well together.     I guess my current bottom line is that they are unusual. ;-)          Well, I used to order some magazines from Publisher Clearing House. I think three was the number of trials they offered back when. I would usually get about three issues of some mag' and bitching that I should pay them for something.     Then there was the ten CD's for a penny - or whatever silly offer. So I would get some CD's that some of the plastic boxes appeared as if they had been stepped on. The CD's themselves was good but the packaging was often crap that could not have sold in the stores.

    I dunno. My local grocery store cashed it. - If I'd had a bank account I suppose I might have let it age awhile before determining the money was real.          But yea - that 'good good to be true' was what enthused me to do a Google and saw that there was a few posts to this group a couple weeks ago. - Seemed like a fun thing to carry on about. - I would have posted to my usual haunts but it did not seem that it would be so fun as would be where some folks have had some dealing or awareness of the silly outfit.

    LOL - Don't take it too hard. I just figure that when someones sets a pace I am happy to go with it.

    Shucks! I only got one glue spreader. Some glue in the minimag take off and the lens stays in and it works. - I could see a cavity in the fracture where the plier jaw broke off. - Maybe I ought to see if it is still in garbage somewhere and break it up some more to see if that is common throughout the metal.
    LOL - Reminds me of a knife I purchased one time. Cheap "Rambo" survivalist thing but the wire saw in the handle came cheaper than buying a wire saw like it. - Quality control was amazing. One could chose among the bunch if they wanted to have compass North indicate by looking at the handle at eye level and see 'N' or to look down at the handle and 'N' would be on North instead of South side.     Anyway I sharpened the thing and it took a good shaving edge. I thought that was pretty cool so gave it to a buddy and went and got a few more. - I guess that first was a fluke because none of the others I got could be sharpened worth a sh*t.
    Oh well. - What is the profit in smarting off at dumb newbies anyway? - Oh well, not so bad as in anti-virus group that used to - maybe still has - some asshole who would frighten the timid from asking questions that said asshole would bitch about it not being asked right. - Even one of the most knowlegable persons in that group used to be such a nasty flamer that I would entertain myself for days on end flamikng him until he killfiled or decided to ignore me. - Well, I think that one can tell someone that they should not open an executable or should not click on much of anything that comes in unsoliceted email without having to tell them what stupid bozo they is for having done so. I would suppose that the most of folks who come desperately asking for advice at a virus group has some immediate problem and has not had previous opportunity to know what some smart asses think they should know already. - Hell, no use in even telling someone that they are ignorant. Myself figures that it is the stupid asshole with big ego who cannot just give some aid to the ignorant without accompanying insult. - Whatever ....
    Were I working for them bozo's don't you think I would have come praising the quality of the crap they sent me?     Well, the little screwdriver set is certainly better than some I got at the 99cent store. - but a little JB weld in the shanks probably made them as good as this set that they HCA claimed is ten dollar value.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.

I sense much cluelessness in this one. Hello, and goodbye, Craig. <plonk> (that means, "My, what an amazing waste of time this one seems to be, so their posts won't show up on my screen anymore).
Dave Hinz wrote:

    ROTFLMAO     I always get a kick out of these bozo's who feel such need to annound their 'plonk'. ;-)
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.

... dunno Leon, that was pretty skunky bait. Good trolls usually are capable of stringing more than a couple of sentences together in a coherent fashion. This one kind of lost my interest after the first paragraph or so.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

    Lessee - you figure this to have been a troll and you lost interest so you felt it necessary to post to the thread to announce your lack of interest. ??     Cool.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.
I'm with you, Leon. Somebody has way, way too much time on their hands typing gibberish to absolutely no effect.

If Handyman Club of America treated all their customers that way, they would have bit the dust years ago. But as long as there's a few suckers to send them money, they will keep going. No lasting company is going to give out more than they take in. I have the free plastic drill gauge they sent me, although I use my metal one as it is much easier to read the numbers. I have not yet had a use for the foam-backed sandpaper. The HCA membership card makes a good glue spreader.
Phisherman wrote:

    Right. - Had my experience not seemed quite unusual I would not have bothered to post about it.     The book I sent them the ten bucks seemed worth it - might have considered it worth even more had I not already know 90% of the stuff in it. - But there is couple things and some reference that I thought WTF - is about the price of a couple magazines.     First time that anyone ever sent me a book and it had return postage guaranteed too. - That is after it had been opened.
    Yea - I like the credit card glue spreaders the best. - I even thought to try cutting one with pinking shears - but would like smaller notches than that I guess. - Little sawtooth edge might be nice for soem things - hacksaw sized serrations maybe. - Have to give some thought how to easily accomplish that. - But then I suppose a broken piece of hacksaw blade might serve well enough ..... whatever.
    Oh well. If they do me good enough I suppose I will come back and mention it. If they do me poorly or amusing I will come back and mention that too. - For the most part it appears that folks of this group is into woodworking to level that is over my head or ambition regarding wood work for the most part.
    I'd be almost tempted to send them one time the 'initiation fee' installment. - I finally took a look at the letter. They want twelve payments of $27.09. - Little fantasy runs though my head that would amount to three dollars over the $24.00 and they might send me something worth more than three bucks in the meantime. ;-) - What did that fellow say about 'hook - set'? :-)
    I recall reading that stuff from some years back where folks was carrying on about the glue spreaders and wire gage with a great few sizes of +/- tolerance. I recall that some had actually sent the five bucks that they wanted for something and they never got anything more than more glue spreaders - which I gather is as much as folks who never sent them squat.
    Hey! I just thought that I do have something to contrubute of advice.     Don't be trying to cut some inch thick nylon on a table saw unless one can figure how to slow the speed or soemthing. I got a delightfully large scar - about 2" x 1/2 inch to attest to the folly of it. - Kicked that piece so far that it took a week before I finally found it at other side of the yard in some brush.     I was inventing me a jig to cut me a cutter to cut some threads on my lathe. - Worked fine when when I eventually got it together.
    Reminds me that I got to work up something in that lathe like an idler gear or some such. - Being lathe dumb when I bought the cheap thing from Harbor Freight I thought that 'reverse' meant that one could cut reverse threads. - All reverse does is that the motor rund the other direction, and that ain't worth squat. - But I figure that an extra gear of any size anywhere in the works would do the job just fine.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.

Just touch the raised number with a black magic marker and they show up well.
Hey, maybe they'll pay me $24 for that tip or make me a lifetime member. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

    I will have to read this literature a bit of better. - I think if you took a picture of the project and became a lifetime member they would allow you to submit it and maybe give you an award or something.