Handyman Club of America - WTF?

Page 1 of 3  
    Sorry that I do not lurk before posting - But I am not really very sorry.     Some years ago I got some crap - the "glue spreader" from HCA and I tossed the snailmail spam.     I got more crap from them and sent something back with no intention to pay for whatever they sent. I looked online and saw that - I think it was this newsgroup - folks bitched and laughed about drill gage and wire gage and assorted crap and not getting anything the HCA promised to send.     Last year or early this year I returned a thing telling them to send me the damned stuff they promised before I send them money for anything. - So they sent me a flashlight and what I call a "Swiss Army Pliers" and they sent me thanks for subscribing to their magazine.     So I been getting their magazine ever since. (Hey! I am trying to shorten this longish stupid story)     Okay! I got myself a couple batteries for that cheap knockoff of a MiniMag light and screwed it together and it popped off the lens. - It works now that I superglued the lens in.     A jaw broke off that folding "Swiss Army Pliers" when I tried to cut a weedeater string.     So, I figured F*** them.     Then they sent me a book and I looked through it and thought WTF - it was interesting and maybe had a couple things I did not know already so I sent them ten bucks.     Today I got stuff from them that I am sure that they did not have time to get my book payment and respond - I am amazed!!!     First thing was a $24.00 rebate check which I used to get the groceries that I went to town to check mail and get groceries.     They said that my cashing the check would finalize my lifetime membership and that I would never ever have to send them money anymore. - I did not see anything on the check that bound me to anything - so WTF?     Now I got home and looked more in the envelope and I got a window sticker and an iron on patch and a nifty looking carpenter pencil - Hey! even looks decent quality though I have not tried to sharpen it yet to see if the knife grabs the lead an pulls it out.
    There is a pamphlet that shows photo's of the $340.00 of tools that I am going to receive for being a lifetime member now.     Way cool. ... ??
    My problem is that I wonder - if I do actually get any of the power tools - should I pay some homeless person twenty bucks to plug in and turn them on?          Is HCA some dope front or money laundering outfit or tax write off scam or just insane or what???
    Hey! I have played some scam outfits before and got some CD's (in broken boxes) and such and I never sent them back because I didn't want to pay postage.     When HCA sent me the book they sent box prepaid to return it. - Had they not done that I probably would have just kept the thing rather than to send them the ten bucks they wanted for it.
    They sent me the twenty four dollar rebate faster than I think they could have even got the ten bucks I sent them - maybe three days ago in the afternoon.
==================     Oh well, as long as I am here - might anyone have advice about how to go about brazing or soldering stainless? - I got a little MIG but am not very good with it and the stuff I want to stick together isn't all that thick.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
And the hook is firmly set...... RRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Leon" wrote in message ...

Is it *that* time of year again already? I'd better drag out the waders with one imperial and one metric leg so I can get the dustballs outta my DC so it don't explode on me. Who knows what I'll find this year - last year I found the neighbour's cat (which made a dandy pushstick).
<sigh>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Groggy wrote:

         Eh? _ Maybe I should have lurked first?     I did do a Google and saw some remarks about the outfit a week or two ago. - So I went ahead and subscribed to the group in my newsgroup client and said what I said. - Seems my experience with the outfit is a novel one since about all else I have seen posted is about glue spreader and them never sending what they say they will send.     They sent me the same garbage that I have seen folks to joke about. I found it amusing myself. Even sent them a response that they should send me the crap and I would send them money if i thought it was worth whatever.     Is Leon the group idiot? ?? - whatever ....
    Hey! - No question that they are a flakey outfit. I really doubt that the have researched me so personal that they would send me the stuff they have because their spies have reported that I am the sort who will talk good or bad about whoever treats me good or bad.
    Well, what can I say? - I am greatly surprised that any such outfit has sent me cash money and the back of the check didn't even obligate me for anything.
    Oh well. They sent me same drill gage that I have seen folks laugh about and even before seeing "glue spreader" I thought about as much of it. The flashlight and the "Swiss Army Pliers" was crap. - Seems there was another thing but having just written them off I forget what it was. If it worked or didn't it did not impress me I guess.
    Oh well. No outfit could come out ahead treating 'potential' customers as they have treated me so far - and that is even if they never send me the $340.00 of stuff they claim that they will. They already sent me more money than I ever sent them.     Anyway. If they send me any of them tools they say they will be sending I will be back to gloat that I did good at what folks did not get such a deal. LOL :-)
    Maybe that Leon fellow needs to try a different brand of laxative?
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists might try
to disrupt the democratic process.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi been lurking awhile getting some good tips here.Anyways about the check and obligation.I to did get all that stuff check, patch,pencil etc. On the letter said if you cash check you will be billed for $ 27 dollars and change a month for a year for your life time membership come out too roughly a little over 300 dollars.If you still have the letter that came with it read toward the end of it. Ralph
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ralph wrote:

    Read it.     Crap does not matter other than what it said on the check. Nothing on the check obligated one to anything.     What was in the letter? - Lot of glowing stuff. But it does not matter.     Suppose I sent you a check and a letter that said that if you cashed my check you would be required to ... whatever.     Or suppose that I sent you a check and then later tried to claim that I also sent a letter with a lot of conditions ....
    Oh well. I didn't really come to get into a bitchfest. I described my event with that outfit and wondered if anyone had any similar. Does not matter squat to me since I will only be good to them as long as they keep sending me whatever right up front.
    LOL - you say that there was a letter enclosed with the check? - I guess I best look closer in the envelope. Maybe there was a letter along with the patch and sticker and pencil and check. ;-)
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists might try
to disrupt the democratic process.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

check
check
also
I'm looking forward to the follow up in a month or two. HCA is not giving away money because they like you. Maybe the fine print is finer than usual here. Ed
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

    LOL - I will certainly post follow up.     I have tossed checks before because they had some conditions written on them. - Though most checks that such outfits send are good toward some amount of their over priced product.     I have me quite a stack of CD's that outfits have sent me but did not include return postage. - I notice that all the offers have prepaid postage if sent within US but all the follow up crap costs money to return the stuff they sent.
    Anyway - they sent me stuff. - I saw someone mention that they might have got my name for buying stuff at Harbor Freight. Then maybe I returned a postcard. They sent me the 'glue spreader' right off and, when I did a Google on the outfit I think it was this group had a run of laughs back in nineteen ninety something over the outfit sending same crap then. - I guess some folks got a wire gage glue spreader instead of a drill gage glue spreader. Myself being into rather small projects tends to favor them credit card sized glue spreaders that can be got at some store checkouts.
    Anyway - things went on and they sent me a bill for subscription to their magazine - or membership or whatever. - I forget what they sent me that had already proven to be a POS. I already said about the flashlight and the folding pliers with all the blades thing .... I think that was offered as my first free thing but they were billing me, so I wrote on the back of the bill that I wanted to see the stuff they promised first. Later I got a 'thank you' for full payment and then came the trash things that I have gotten better quality at the 99cent store. - The recent set of small screwdrivers seems good though. At least the bit does not turn in the handle when I put more torque on it than a screw could ever do.     I think I did return something bitching about the flashlight pushing the reflector through the end by popping the lens out and the plier jaw breaking off when cutting a weedeater string. ??
    So, they gonna send the local constabulary to haul me away, kicking and screaming, because they even had my name spelled wrong on the crap they sent me?     Ruin my credit? - I don't have any.     Small print? Would have had to been invisible ink.          Oh well, I am ahead so far. I sent them ten bucks for the book. Had they sent the book and it had been the usual thing that I had to pay postage to send it back I probably would have just kept it and not sent them squat. But I kind a liked the book - hardcover - and it didn't cost but about twice the price of a magazine and it did have some things of interest.     I sent them ten bucks and they sent me twenty four bucks and the screwdrivers seem good if the metal does not strip in some tiny screws.
    Damn! - Just getting some whiffs of definite methamphetamine oder. - I did three years for manufacturing the stuff even though I never did manufacture the stuff. - I had done some dealing with the stuff and then got fed up with the folks one had to deal with and told the folks to go away and not bother me anymore. - Then a neighbor got his self a problem and set my ass up ....     Hey! You been following that Lacy Peterson case? - Some of the same cops is involved in that. I think that this county is spoiled by too long getting away with sloppy and generally corrupt police work and they do not know how to deal with competent opposition. The bastard probably did it and may well get away with it because of idiot cops who have gotten away with so much shit that they get into bad habits taking for granted that they can get away with it.
    But I digress.
    Oh well, I see that there are some other responses to some of my posts. About time I take look to see if anyone has had such silly experience as my own - or if anyone has come to the defense of that silly person with the one liner smart ass response.     
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists might try
to disrupt the democratic process.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Craig writes:

the
Jeerz. You know, if I'd known that, I'd have ignored the letter that came with my last book advance, cashed the check and gone on my way.
You may well find yourself obligated to something you don't want to do--pay for what you are getting.
Claiming there was no letter in your particular check might work, but it also might not, and could end up with some nasty notes to your local not-so-friendly credit bureau.
Good luck.
Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" Garrison Keillor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Charlie Self wrote:

    Yea - that might be where I have it over some folks. My credit is non existent. Macy's was silly enough to have sent me a card back before sending unsolicited cards was outlawed. Both Fed and State government gave up years ago sending me bills for crap that was mistake on their parts. - I assume that if I ever paid any state income tax that I should get a return they would keep the return. I suppose if I won the lottery I would give someone else the ticket and go halves. ;-) - Hey! even if it were ten times what they say I owe I would rather give fifty percent to a buddy than give ten percent to them.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists might try
to disrupt the democratic process.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) Keillorophilated in message
<snip>

So let me get this straight: if you're American, you can't say "you can't say that" or you risk being un-American? Hmmm....
Jack Handey lives....
H
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 25 Jul 2004 21:45:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sewanee.edu (Hylourgos) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
remove ns from my header address to reply via email

What's wrong with that? Nobody is saying you _can't_ say that. There will be consequences.
Simle logic byplay. I am not American, and I am not happy with the assumption that the freedom of speech issue is an "American" thing. ***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Old Nick wrote:

Are you /sure/ you're allowed to say that? Whose assumption?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
capsule, and wrote in (Hylourgos) vaguely

<snip>
Earth to Old Nick, Earth to Old Nick, anybody there?
For some reason, there comes to mind a Steve Martin stand-up scene where he is being heckled. He smiles at the guy benevolently and comments, "Yea, I remember my first beer".
Enjoy the Papst Nicky, H
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
capsule, and wrote in (Hylourgos) vaguely

<snip>
Earth to Old Nick, Earth to Old Nick, anybody there?
For some reason, there comes to mind a Steve Martin stand-up scene where he is being heckled. He smiles at the guy benevolently and comments, "Yea, I remember my first beer".
Enjoy the Papst Nicky, H
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Craig, so you don't have any money and you have either no credit or bad credit. Don't you want to be able to buy a house later at some point? Don't you want to make some money?
A friend of mine had the same attitude many years ago. He'd join book club after book club just to get the 10 books for a penney or some such. Then he'd ignore the invoices for the monthly books that were sent until they stopped coming. His credit was pure crap for a decade! It took five years from the time he wanted to buy a house 'til he was able to turn things around enough to get a bank to lend him the money for one.
It doesn't matter if there was anything on the check you cashed or not. They can still put your credit so far in the hole that it can take a long time to get out of it. Plus they can turn it over to a collection agency who can keep it on your credit report for the rest of your life or 'til you pay them what they say you owe by then. Interest continues to accrue over that long time.
So if you plan to continue being a pauper the rest of your life, then you can continue to act irresponsibly.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

club
years
you
Two points.
First: A lifetime membership to HCOA is worthless even if it was free.
Second: Magazine hickies on your credit report carry about as much weight as doctor bills, which is almost zilch.
Ask any F&I Mgr.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob Muir wrote:

    Like I said in another post - maybe I ought to just unsubscribe this group - or maybe only look at it if I come up with a woodworking problem/question that I can't figure out on my own.     Well, if I keep reading smart assed crap like what you just present I am likely to return in like sentiment.     You and a couple other bozo's impress me as the sort who is determined to go through life timidly sticking to some path that you have been taught is the proper predetermined way to go.     The stuff you said above is obvious of your own fearful fantasies and I doubt that you are even telling the whole story about your friend.     As for myself I nearly wish they would give me some crap over the issue such that I might find some lawyer who would work for % and sue them if they really messed with me over the whole affair.     As for irresponsible - I find your sort of arrogant fright mongering to be irresponsible.     Even were I just 'joe-average' income I might consider carrying on with the outfit as I have - "Send me the stuff first." - If I could not break it within a few days of what I might consider fair and *heavy* test I would send them the money.     But I do not expect you to adopt anything of my lifestyle choice and I would not display my contempt for yours until you bleat out such such contemptuous crap as you have.     As it is I just see you as one taking the coward way through life and try to find some self justification in frantic advocating that others do as well.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Seven year, max, in California. (Not sure about the other 49)
Glen
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

In most cases they can only win judgements against you for 4 years, but they can keep it on your credit report for 7. The statute of how long they have to file judgements varys by state, but the 7 years on the credit report (with a few exceptions like student loans, bankruptcys) is federal.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.