Handyman Club of America

Page 2 of 2

Sounds like you got three of them.

They are not worth the money for sure. All you will get is some worthless crap and your name will be sold to every flim flam business in the world. I suppose it is one way to make new friends. Now instead, you can join this newsgroup for only $520 and have access to some of the best woodworking tips around. I am the treasurer so send it to me directly. Checks are fine. (hurry, the rate goes up Jan 1)
Frank

You are very lucky. I got no offer to a lifetime membership. Handyman Club of America sent me a plastic drill guide, sponge sander, and a plastic membership card that quickly expired (I used it to spread glue).
Phisherman wrote:

I got ripped. No drill guide.
They have great patches. And the free labels for the circuit breakers are the best!
Seriously, it is a lot for what you get, I think. My brother in law joined... but he also thought that being an Asst. Manager at a Radio Shack was a good gig initially.
gilles wrote:

I have received two mailings, giving me a total of 2 drill gauges, 2 screw gauges, and one set of circuit breaker labels. I need more circuit breaker labels because they seem to think that my kitchen has only one circuit breaker, where I really need about 6 labels to complete the job.

I've also received some mailings from them. Does anyone from whom they sourced their mailing list?

Might be just coincidence, but I received my first-ever mailing from them just a few weeks after subscribing to Wood, and another one just a few weeks after subscribing to American Woodworker.

*snort* I've got 6 (2 duplex outlets/breaker) breakers just for the over-counter outlets. Seemed about right, given that I've got 19(!) assorted 'counter top appliances'.
PLUS the stove, refrigerator, a separate freezer, dishwasher, and the lights.

For hours (ok, maybe minutes) of amusing reading google this group with the words "Handyman Club of America"...
...and spend the $530 on some nice tools.
HTH
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Mike Patterson responds:

Long years ago, Playboy offered lifetime memberships. IIRC, Janet Pilgrim (an early Playmate of the Month) would deliver the signed contract/warrant. I sometimes (actually, this is th3e first time) wonder how many takers they got and if they subscriptions are still good. Memory says that was in the middle or late '50s, but doesn't bring up a price, though I do recall thinking there was NO way on a USMC PFC's pay.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx
Charlie Self wrote:

$100 they wanted was way out of my reach then. If I had joined I could be selling the 20+ years worth for the $1 a copy they seem to get at the flea Market and recoup the investment. Not to mention "reading the articles" every month. Joe

If she still looks as good as back then, I'll sign up today.
http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/playmates/volumes/Janet%20Pilgrim%20volume%201.htm
gilles wrote:

Hee. Join up for $530 and you get a nifty faux leather Handy Man Club of America Charter Member jacket, so everybody who sees you will laugh into their hands and snicker behind your back.

Handyman Club reminds me of Popiels Pocket Fisherman. A lousey fishing rod, but a great gift. I think most HCA subcriptions are stocking stuffers for the Granpa or Uncle who has a shop full of stuff and nobody knows what he really wants for Christmas. I think I could stretch $530 worth of wood working a lot father than a lifetime HCA subscription. I could refill my sandpaper shelf, replace some router bits and still have $400 left. I'll have to be careful with the rest of the money. Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
I think it's a great deal! GO FOR IT ! ! !