Handy disposable paper ruler

Page 2 of 2

I have an "engineering notebook" which is a spiral-bound notebook with 1/4" grid graph paper for sheets. Works great for this sort of thing, and also for drawing up scale-drawings of projects. Even house-sized projects, come to think of it; the whole thing is drawn up by hand in one that I've got to find again "just because".
Dave Hinz
of_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (todd the wood junkie) wrote in message

If you all want a custom ruler, made up any way you want and rollable, you can create your own in Illustrator or other apropriate program, burn to disc and give it to a film house, who will output your file to film as a positive (black marks on clear film) for a reasonable cost. Much less than the precision metal rulers, and equally as accurate. These outputs are accurate in both dimensions and printed at 2440 dpi, the "dots" (laser exposed squares, actually) are barely discernable at 10x magnification. Since a ruler is so narrow, perhaps you can work a deal with them for a particularly long one, as they may be able to gang it with another job on a normally wasted margin of the film. These people prefer Illustrator, PDF or Quark files for output, but some can handle Corel and In Design as well. I have several of these in my shop, as well as a "protractor", 18" diameter, that I created for better accuracy in setting angles.
Gary Graphic Artist (when I can get work!)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gary DeWitt) writes:

Have you tried this recently?
Very few printing companies use film anymore. It's all direct-to-plate now-- works like a laserprinter, but puts out an aluminum printing plate instead of film or paper. A few companies can still generate film, but it's dying out fast.
A good stainless steel ruler will last forever (unless it gets stolen), so it's a good investment. If you can't find exactly what you want, a bit of time with Google probably will.
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:41:41 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@shell.core.com (Ron Bean) wrote:

You may be right, but you can always print them out on transparency film at home. (At least, last time I checked you could) No doubt an average Kinko's would have some kind of printable plastic, though not necessarily film.

Agreed. I like steel rulers- the aluminum ones I'm not so fond of, after bending a couple, but the steel ones are nice.
Prometheus wrote:

Staples, OfficeMax, etc all have transparency film for inkjet and laser printers that is intended for use with overhead projectors. Make sure that the one you get lists your printer as compatible--there are some variations in coating with the inkjet films that make a difference in how the ink takes. Just check after you print and make sure that it's actually accurate--some printers leave a little to be desired in the linearity department and the dimensions aren't always exactly what you thought they would be either.

--
--John
They still use film to make printed circuit boards. Check out something called a photoplotter. Many of them print Postscript files, and they are quite accurate.

kenR did say:

critical to calibrate your printer/driver. postscript contains scaling information that make it quite accurate.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

On 14 Oct 2004 10:52:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gary DeWitt) wrote:

0r, as a less expensive alternative, you can print that file or one you scan yourself on a transparency sheet in a laser or ink jet printer..
todd the wood junkie wrote:

Thanks I downloaded it. Then I thought why? I already have an scan of my Try-square that I made when testing the focus of the scanner. We'll see which prints out more accurately, scanners can introduce subtle errors in size as well as printers.
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:07:17 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Do scanners work like photocopiers? If so, there is a slight reduction in size in the copy that needs to be adjusted for accuracy.
Thunder
Rolling Thunder wrote:

Of course or at least close enough. I think you are referring to a copy function. But you don't have to use the copy function, just scan. the result you get is of course a file which has nothing to do with the size of anything. It is your soft ware and printer that will determine how accurate the thing will be when you print it.
The paper ruler is just a scan of some ruler. I printed it and the total length was indeed accurate, but using two different rules some of the inch lines in the middle didn't line up. That suggests to me that the ruler ws not flat on the scanner, or was imperfect.
I have tested my 99cent HF (3/4 by 16 feet) tape rule and found it highly accurate compared to a Starrett Try-square. I could cut that up and make a bunch of very accurate highly readable scales.
BTW, I have a Starrett that is marked as such and a second Try-square which I think is a Starrett and looks exactly like my other Try-square. It is marked on the non grooved side:
No. 23 The L.S.S. Co. No. 4 Athol, Mass. U.S.A
I am wondering if anyone can tell me where this old try-square fits into the Starrett line and history, if it does. Thanks