handwheels vs levers

OK - i was just wondering something as I was browsing the Griz online catalog. While day dreaming about my real jointer purchase I figured I wanted 8" with handwheels. Now, while looking at http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=G1182Z I see the description describes the handwheel version as "old-fashioned".
I have been under the impression that handwheels are preferred. What gives?
Which do you prefer and why?
Keep in mind I will be moving up from a Delta Shopmaster 6"x30" jointer http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e 6&p2
I'm not looking for a recomendation on a particular jointer, just the pros and cons of handwheels versus levers.
Thanks as always.
No wrote:

I don't see any real advantage either way...it's as much or more marketing as anything imo. Although I don't really know, I've always supposed there's a manufacturing cost advantage w/ the lever mechanism as a prime reason for introducing it.
On 14 Oct 2005 10:26:20 -0700, No wrote:

When I was shopping for a jointer, I thought I wanted handwheels, too. That was based on opinions posted here, and playing with a few machines at stores and shows. In the end, I bought a DJ-20, which has levers. I haven't been able to compare levers to handwheels extensively. But I can say, I have not had any issues with the levers on the DJ-20. I have no regrets.
--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse (remove this) DOT net
Art Greenberg wrote:

The lever type are more responsive, but more difficult to adjust. The dial type are picky, at least on my old jet 6". When you turn the dial you don't necessarily get a response. There seemed to be play in the gearing. It may have been a problem with my jointer, but it was annoying. Just something you might look into. Whatever you get you will eventually get a feel for. So I don't think it really matters in the long haul.
Don
rickluce wrote:

I have an 8" North State which is a Taiwanese clone of the older model Delta, back when the Deltas all had handwheels. Mine work nice and smoothly. The sales guy... an older gentlemen who'se been there forever... told me that Delta and others went to the hand levers because it made for easier and/or less expensive manufacturing. I don't know if that's true or not, but I have no regrets sticking with a wheeled design.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

This might fit into the category of the "left-tilt" vs "right-tilt" tablesaw. I worried about this when I bought my cabinet saw. When I started my selection process for a new jointer I was used to wheels. After using my right tilt saw and lever-adjusted Powermatic a few times I forgot about the difference.
RonB

I don't know the real history, but as I reflect on the question, it strikes me that the parallelogram table mechanism Delta uses (used) on their DJ-15, DJ-20, DJ-30 jointers probably doesn't lend itself to handwheel adjustment, thus the lever adjustment was introduced.
Having owned two of the three on that list, I will tell you that DJ-20 answers all of the jointer questions you could possibly have.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite