Handscrew Clamp Kits

Does anyone out there have any experience with the handscrew clamp kits from Woodstock International or Steelex (they appear to be the same) and how they compare to the kits from Jorgensen? Do they have Acme threaded rod or just standard triangular threads?

Also, what sources are available for the Jorgensen kits? I've had little success finding suppliers for them (USA), and keep coming across the Woodstock product.

thanks...

cdo

Reply to
cdo

I found them here:

they're 3x the price of the Steelex kits, and almost as much as the complete jorgie clamp on amazon.

I use some HF ones(triangle threads) which I got at a half off sale. They work ok for me.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

I bought 4 of those kits (The Woodstock International/Shop Fox) from Grizzly a few months ago, but I haven't made the clamps yet. Paid about $5 each. They have standard (triangular) threads.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks much for the info - looks like I'll be avoiding them. A few years back I had a couple of Sears handscrew clamps fail when the pot metal pivots cracked where they were threaded. I've since learned to look for the machine turned ends and avoid the cheap junk. It's not worth it in the long run.

Cliff

Reply to
cdo

You might try taking a gander at the fully made ones at Japan Woodworker, very nice prices, though you may want to ask them about the threads. they also sell the USA made Dubuque brand which are nicer priced than the Jorgensens elswhere. I have two (older NOS) Woocraft brand 12"ers that I am more than positive were made by Dubuque, with acme type threading and are *quite* well made. What woodcraft has now as their own brand are not USA made and they don't explain the threads.

The thing about the Dubuques is that the whole clamp costs the same as the Jorgensen kits that don't have the wood.

Reply to
AAvK

Thanks for the info Alex. I like Japan Woodworker (my chesels are from there), but their pricing for most western tools is usually higher than many other dealers. I did a search for the Dubuque brand and found somewhat better pricing here:

also have the best Lie-Nielsen pricing I've found too...

Thanks again,

Cliff

Reply to
cdo