Handheld CNC

OK. this link below answers several questions.

  1. Can you accurately retrace to cut deeper? YES and modify
  2. Do you need to draw with a separate CAD program? NO. You can draw directly on the material and map the drawn lines or probably attach a drawing to the work and trace the lines on a drawing.

Leon

OOPS! Wrong,

Try this link.

Leon

If the 'requirement of guides and templates' is bothersome, note that it provides a convenient way to make guides and templates.

Reply to
whit3rd

If the surface isn't flat, the map when viewed from one point will not conform to the map when viewed from another point, against a model that infers the X - Y coordinates in a plane from those images.

The vision model uses multiple dots , and it may (or may not) care whether they are aligned or along a curve; my concern was that a tape pulled taut (in the test) makes a linear array of those dots, but a gust of wind could disturb the tape at time of application.

Reply to
whit3rd

Yes, that is to be expected with most any CNC. And I will correct I mentioned that the table did not have to be straight, I meant to say that the tape did not have to be straight.

I suspect that the tape has an adhesive back and wind should not affect it.

Reply to
Leon

$1500 now and deliverable next year, then $2500ish is a little rich for even me. That's well into stationary tool territory.

I agree wrt SU (my first thought when I saw the video) but CutListPlus assumes full sheets, no? This pup should just see what you've got and arrange all the pieces for the optimum cuts.

Reply to
krw

The Tape is applied to the wood being cut. It isn't just plastic. It is for the laser to position the work onto the wood and drives the internal computer to keep you on the internal drawing not one on the board.

Think painters tape. Snap one on like they did - both ends registration.

If your shop has so much flying about in the air to confuse the laser, the laser won't locate the work on the wood and you will be dying of lung issues. So don't sweat it.

Mart> >>> >>>> Anyone see this yet?

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

And now you can put fancy designs into floors and other materials. Smaller the cutter, the tighter the edges. Might want to complete with a chisel to make perfect corners for inserts.

Mart> >>> Anyone see this yet?

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Understood but stationary tool in this instance is not a good thing, IMHO. It being portable is what it makes so useful.

No, CutList Plus assumes the size of materials in your inventory. I use CLP more for cutting parts from lumber than sheet goods. CLP in fact tells me how much lumber, S4S to buy in addition to how many sheet to buy.

Reply to
Leon

But it's getting into the CNC router region.

But it doesn't look in your wood pile for an appropriate piece. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Research on their web site FAQ indicates that the marker tape will cost between $10-$15 per 150' roll, or about 7-10 cents per foot.

The tool is also compatible with Sketchup.

And pre pricing apparently means you get the tool sooner than later at a reduced price.

Reply to
Leon