Handheld CNC

Page 2 of 2
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Absolutely, just like a biscuit joiner. You just need to clamp a straight edge in the appropriate spot and reference off of the bottom of the base of the machine
On 8/27/2016 1:47 AM, Leon wrote:

It appears to me it would do most of what a regular router would do without the requirement of guides and templates.
On 8/27/2016 6:17 AM, Meanie wrote:

Yes, that would be my take too, other than the reference tape.
On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 4:18:20 AM UTC-7, SBH wrote:

If the 'requirement of guides and templates' is bothersome, note that it provides a convenient way to make guides and templates.
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:47:41 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:

If the surface isn't flat, the map when viewed from one point will not conform to the map when viewed from another point, against a model that infers the X - Y coordinates in a plane from those images.
The vision model uses multiple dots , and it may (or may not) care whether they are aligned or along a curve; my concern was that a tape pulled taut (in the test) makes a linear array of those dots, but a gust of wind could disturb the tape at time of application.
On 8/27/2016 2:27 PM, whit3rd wrote:

Yes, that is to be expected with most any CNC. And I will correct I mentioned that the table did not have to be straight, I meant to say that the tape did not have to be straight.

I suspect that the tape has an adhesive back and wind should not affect it.
The Tape is applied to the wood being cut. It isn't just plastic. It is for the laser to position the work onto the wood and drives the internal computer to keep you on the internal drawing not one on the board.
Think painters tape. Snap one on like they did - both ends registration.
If your shop has so much flying about in the air to confuse the laser, the laser won't locate the work on the wood and you will be dying of lung issues. So don't sweat it.
Martin
On 8/27/2016 2:27 PM, whit3rd wrote:

On 8/26/2016 10:52 AM, Meanie wrote:

OK. this link below answers several questions.
1. Can you accurately retrace to cut deeper? YES and modify
2. Do you need to draw with a separate CAD program? NO. You can draw directly on the material and map the drawn lines or probably attach a drawing to the work and trace the lines on a drawing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmGhpreQA4M#t
&3.892044
On 8/27/2016 10:14 AM, Leon wrote:

OOPS! Wrong,
Try this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmGhpreQA4M

And now you can put fancy designs into floors and other materials. Smaller the cutter, the tighter the edges. Might want to complete with a chisel to make perfect corners for inserts.
Martin
On 8/27/2016 10:16 AM, Leon wrote:

Research on their web site FAQ indicates that the marker tape will cost between $10-$15 per 150' roll, or about 7-10 cents per foot.
The tool is also compatible with Sketchup.
And pre pricing apparently means you get the tool sooner than later at a reduced price.