Hand surgery update

Page 1 of 2
Monday's hand surgery went quite well. I have some discomfort, but it's fairly mild, and entirely to be expected. The really important thing is that I already have a noticeable increase in the mobility of my thumb. The surgeon says it will probably take two months for the nerve to fully heal, and the muscle to build back up, but the prospects for my full recovery are very good.
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate the support of my family and friends more than I can say.
Doug Miller wrote:

Thumbs up, my friend.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Good answer! <G>
Barry
Doug Miller writes:

Keep healing! Hope it is fully better before the doc's predicted time is up.
Charlie Self "The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

I was on a trip to the Seattle area and apparently missed your original posting, Doug. . .Glad to hear you still have all digits!
Kim

the carpal tunnel that caused considerable restriction in the mobility of my right thumb, probably the result of spending 25 years as a computer jockey.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

little finger: for quite some time. Do you think I am a candidate? ;~) My wife had the cp surgery several years ago on one hand, and "trigger" finger surgery on a thumb a few years ago. Worked out fine for her.
Are you able to muster the talents of those around you to cater to your every whim now? ;~)
Kim
In rec.woodworking

That is cubital tunnel syndrome. I have it too. The surgery to fix it sucks as they remove your entire forearm muscle from the bone and move the nerve out of the groove in your elbow and place it under the muscle. Major stuff.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

Kim

opinion before even consenting to think about something like that. You also might want a second opinion on the cause -- there are about (IIRC) 4-6 sites in the arm & shoulder at which you can have a "tunnel syndrome" and the cures for each one are very different. Norm
On Tue, 04 May 2004 15:34:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Can you still type? By the way if I bring my bandsaw blades to Indianapolis are you able to show me how to fold it? :-)
Get well soon.

Thanks! Yeah, I can still type, but it slows me down some. Haven't tried folding any bandsaw blades since the surgery, but I think I could manage one or two. :-)
Good for you Doug... has the "Throbbing" stopped yet. ;~)

in the first place. My biggest concern was the lack of mobility and strength in the thumb. And the surgery wasn't terribly painful either. It's sore, yeah, but it feels more like a really bad bruise than anything else.
Right now, I'm wishing I had *not* taken the prescribed pain medicine last night, 'cause I'm still drowsy. I think I could have taken care of business with aspirin or Alleve, and I'd probably be more alert.
Doug Miller wrote:
snip

Take the pain meds, but try half of the recomended dose, wait half and hour and if that doesn't take care of the "diiscomfort" then take the other half. You want to stay ahead of pain, never behind it. It's OK to just veg out once in a while.
Take care of yourself as well as you take care of your tools.
charlie b

I was thinking that there would be throbbing from the surgery.. Good to hear that it is simply sore and not Throbbing.. I had to go to an oral surgeon to have a wisdom tooth removed several years ago. He gave me an ice pack to put on my jaw for the ride home and told me to get the Vicodine prescription filled ASAP. Going straight to the pharmacy from the doctors office my mouth was really hurting.... The ice pack was the problem. I removed the ice pack and that was the end of the pain. Did not need the prescription at all.
On Tue, 04 May 2004 14:06:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) scribbled:

My best wishes for a prompt and really good recovery.
Great news. Now can I uncross my fingers or should I wait the two months?
Follow doctor's orders, do the physical therapy and soon enough you'll be ankle deep in curlies and grinnin' like the village idiot.
charlie b
Attention Crawford (sp?) Texas You lost village idiot has been found.

illustrate and record the reduced extent to which I could extend my right thumb. I'm already able to extend it about a centimeter farther than I could when I made the tracings.
Doug Miller wrote:

Many years ago, I was unable to move my right thumb at all after a plane crash. It stayed that way for months. Then one day, I was able to move it a little bit. While it is still a little weaker in abduction than the left one, I can crush a beer bottle cap between it and my forefinger now.
The point being: peripheral nerves are able to regenerate quite often. They can grow at a rate of about 1/2 inch per month and if they manage to find the corresponding part on the other side of the cut they will reconnect. Central nerves can't do that (yet).
Be of good cheer. Things are going to work out well here for you.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com