Hand surgery update

Monday's hand surgery went quite well. I have some discomfort, but it's fairly mild, and entirely to be expected. The really important thing is that I already have a noticeable increase in the mobility of my thumb. The surgeon says it will probably take two months for the nerve to fully heal, and the muscle to build back up, but the prospects for my full recovery are very good.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate the support of my family and friends more than I can say.

Doug Miller

Thumbs up, my friend. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Keep healing! Hope it is fully better before the doc's predicted time is up.

Charlie Self "The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny

Reply to
Charlie Self

I was on a trip to the Seattle area and apparently missed your original posting, Doug. . .Glad to hear you still have all digits!

Kim

Reply to
Kim Whitmyre

Thanks, Kim -- no shop injury involved here, just fixing a pinched nerve in the carpal tunnel that caused considerable restriction in the mobility of my right thumb, probably the result of spending 25 years as a computer jockey.

Doug Miller

Good for you Doug... has the "Throbbing" stopped yet. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Actually, it never really started. The problem didn't cause me any pain at all in the first place. My biggest concern was the lack of mobility and strength in the thumb. And the surgery wasn't terribly painful either. It's sore, yeah, but it feels more like a really bad bruise than anything else.

Right now, I'm wishing I had *not* taken the prescribed pain medicine last night, 'cause I'm still drowsy. I think I could have taken care of business with aspirin or Alleve, and I'd probably be more alert.

Doug Miller

On Tue, 04 May 2004 14:06:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) scribbled:

My best wishes for a prompt and really good recovery.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Great news. Now can I uncross my fingers or should I wait the two months?

Follow doctor's orders, do the physical therapy and soon enough you'll be ankle deep in curlies and grinnin' like the village idiot.

charlie b

Attention Crawford (sp?) Texas You lost village idiot has been found.

Reply to
charlie b

You can uncross them now. Last week, I made tracings of my hands, to illustrate and record the reduced extent to which I could extend my right thumb. I'm already able to extend it about a centimeter farther than I could when I made the tracings.

Doug Miller

snip

Take the pain meds, but try half of the recomended dose, wait half and hour and if that doesn't take care of the "diiscomfort" then take the other half. You want to stay ahead of pain, never behind it. It's OK to just veg out once in a while.

Take care of yourself as well as you take care of your tools.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Doug, the ends of three of my fingers on my left hand were severely injured by a jointer many years ago. Thanks to our common God and a very good micro surgeon, I regained the full use of that hand. The follow up therapy was very good and extended for several months. If you do have similar or appropriate therapy, I strongly urge you to keep with it until you are released. Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Okay.... Now that we know you aren't a wounded puppy anymore and you can sling a keyboard around - look out, we'll be gunning for ya.....;-)

Bob S.

PS - Glad to hear it went well.

Reply to
Bob

Natch! Never a doubt! :) Seriously - great news!

Seriously serious - don't shortchange the pain meds. Nuthin masculine about it - you'll rebound *faster* if you keep the pain levels down. I look it as an opportunity to get buzzed on the Good Stuff, legally! ;->

Reply to
mttt

Good answer!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I was thinking that there would be throbbing from the surgery.. Good to hear that it is simply sore and not Throbbing.. I had to go to an oral surgeon to have a wisdom tooth removed several years ago. He gave me an ice pack to put on my jaw for the ride home and told me to get the Vicodine prescription filled ASAP. Going straight to the pharmacy from the doctors office my mouth was really hurting.... The ice pack was the problem. I removed the ice pack and that was the end of the pain. Did not need the prescription at all.

Reply to
Leon

Would those be short and curlies? That would be enought to make me grin like the village idiot.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Many years ago, I was unable to move my right thumb at all after a plane crash. It stayed that way for months. Then one day, I was able to move it a little bit. While it is still a little weaker in abduction than the left one, I can crush a beer bottle cap between it and my forefinger now.

The point being: peripheral nerves are able to regenerate quite often. They can grow at a rate of about 1/2 inch per month and if they manage to find the corresponding part on the other side of the cut they will reconnect. Central nerves can't do that (yet).

Be of good cheer. Things are going to work out well here for you.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Hi Doug,

I'm glad to hear all went well. I hope your recovery is complete and swift.

Nova

glad to hear it when well, Doug. oops! I'm wasting my breath, huh? or typing.

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave