hand saw info

I have 2 old Disston hand saw that I am trying to gather some more info on them before I pass them on to my 2 grandson. They were my grandfather and my father in law. One was from the 1917-1940 and the other from 1940-1947 era.
I was wondering if there is a collector/forum site for hand saws. I did a google but didn't turn up anything.
Any help or suggestion would be great. TIA
Norvin

Dammit!! Google is dead yet again. I'll take care of it for ya.
(cut to video of curmudgeon muttering to himself as he walks upstairs to the wireless router, puts an X on the lower left corner with a piece of chalk, sets the router on the floor and kicks it right on t he X while shouting: "Google, BE HEALED!!!!!!!". Follow the cranky old bastard back down the stairs to his laptop where he begins to type.....)
Wait., wait., Yes!! It's only wounded. When I now type in "disston saw" I get over 100,000 hits. Click on the second one down, or third one down, or fifth one down, or sixth one down, or seventh one down. You get the picture.
For the rest of the group, you will be relieved to know that Goggle has now been remotely rebooted, and is indeed back up and running full strength. The trick is knowing exactly where to make the X, and just how hard to kick. I lied about the lower left corner.
Let me know if the Internet gives anyone else more problems today, Al Gore excluded.
Regards,
Roy, (who is currently just standing around polishin' his knuckles and grinning, but fixin' to go play with the Stanley 113 the nice postal lady dropped on the front porch a few minutes ago while still typing this balderdash.)
Roy wrote:

I guess I should have been more explicit, I didn't find the information I was wanting, yes I did check out several of the hits, the http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/ and it did help a little, but I was looking for more info than what was listed.
I am really, really sorry that I put you thru so much aggravation over my question, I guess you just could have NOT answered and now you would be feeling better. Next time I will try to be more concise with my question so as not to have you run up and down the stairs, even thou it is good exercise for a cranky soul.....
Have a good day.......
Norvin Gordon wrote: ...

Information such as???
dpb wrote:

Disston site and I was hoping for a collectors site or a saw (?) forum that may have further details on the nedallion that is on the saw thinking that it may further define the year of mfg.
The second saw has lost a lot of the etching of the brand/model etc on the blade and I was hoping to have some suggestion on some method of bringing it more visible. I know this is a long shot, but what the heck.
I should have been more informative in my original post.

That would have taken the fun out. Then I would have replied with something like: Oh. That's what you want to know. You need to go here:
http://swingleydev.com/archive /
Regards, Roy

The only other thing that comes to mind is e*ay. Sometimes there's some useful info in some of the auction descriptions, but that's probably a long shot.

Crap. You mean all that sarcasm, crochetiness, and muttering was for nothing? All that negative energy squandered. What a waste of bad vibes. Bah, humbug.

Of course I'm having a good day. Didn't you read the part about me getting a new tool? You should see what I'm like on a bad day. Even Joat was nervous around me. Tonight though, I've been out in the shop cleaning, sharpening and waxing various treasures for a couple hours. The only thing that would top that is if SWMBO put a lemon wedge ibetween her teeth, grabbed a bottle of tequila and flopped down naked on the workbench.
Boy, I tell ya, the last time she did tha, t....Z.^%47.......<no carrier>..
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:33:30 -0500, Norvin Gordon wrote:

Did you check the medallion page:
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medallionpage.html

Larry Blanchard wrote:

saws has links, almost like a chain link in a circle, where all the medallions shown have little 'dots/bumps' in a circle. This makes me think that this may be a unique saw (?)that is not listed. Thanks for the response.
Norvin Gordon wrote:

What does the etching say?
If, indeed it is perhaps unique, why not take a picture and post it on a hosting site for others to see? I've really never paid much attention to the ones inherited from grandfather; they've just always been and I suppose always will be the handsaws that were here on the place.
I might have to go look altho never had any reason to think they were particularly valuable they're certainly quality saw still after all these years and I surely wouldn't want to part with either (one crosscut, one rip).
After the above, I'd suggest photos and send 'em w/ anything you do know as factual to the addy at the Institute and see if get a response. I've never paid any attention to it, either, but afaik it is still maintained.
dpb wrote:

saw into a small range of years, 1960-1970. The reason he didn't show was that his study didn't include the years after Disston was sold to Porter.
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:45:53 -0500, Norvin Gordon wrote:

The really old Disston's had split nuts on the back. Does yours?

If she were a really nice postal lady she would have dropped off a #20! *
* Since you posted a drive-by gloat, I posted a drive-by 'You suck!'

Hah! She knows where I live now. Maybe she'll come back one day?
Yeah, the doorbell rang while I was in mid-rant and my enthusiasms got to me. It's a wonder I didn't just delete the message and run out to the garage to play with my new toys and say to hell with it. As it was I had to eliminate the bit about sacrificing one of the kids gerbils on an alter made from an IBM 8086 machine so I could run out to the shop with my new treasures., I had to mention the thing at the end, as it seemed inappropriate in the middle of a good rant to type something like: HOT DAMN LOOK WHAT I GOT!!!.
I'm more couth and subtle than that. Not much more, I'll grant you, but a bit.
Think maybe I should paint it yellow in memory of Joat?
Regards, Roy

Dip it in Plasti-Dip - it's faster.

Memory? He's not passed, is he?