hand saw going through paint

my son is upset because i used one of his good hand saws to cut through a piece of wood that was painted on one side. Does paint dull a blade that much to get upset about? thanks
bert wrote:

It shouldn't dull the saw any, but it could get paint smears on the saw blade, which can leave streaks on other cut boards that you don't want left there.
-Nathan

Do you live in Bizarro World?
Locutus wrote:

I don't think paint would dull a saw much, but I wouldn't be too thrilled if someone used one of my good handsaws to cut through scrap lumber, especially if there was any chance of hidden nails/staples/etc. I'm really sorry to take sides here, but in my opinion, if this is his tool, you should respect his wishes about how/when it's used, even if they don't make sense to you. Of course if it's your tool and he sort of adopted it and is borrowing space in your shop, then you can use whatever you want however you want. Again, just my opinion. Andy

It is bad to run painted wood through a planer, but a saw wouldn't really matter.
My son get upset at everything I do; don't worry about it.
Tools are made to be used and are sharpenable! Sounds like counseling is in order. You are lucky to have each other! WL

It depends... some paint has a lot of silica in it (basically fine sand) that will speed the dulling of the saw. Whether cutting painted wood is something to get upset about is a personal standards issue... Me personally, I reserve a relatively low end circular saw blade for painted wood and keep painted wood away from my good blades, hand saws, and jointer and planner knives. Early on I put grooves in jointer knives when I edge jointed wood with painted faces... one 4' board is all it took!
John
bert wrote:

Assuming similar tools to my own set, I'd be upset that you'd used the "good" saws without asking, and that you'd used a good saw for a job that a crude saw could do just as well.
Paint isn't the issue.
20 whacks
-

Your son got off easy. My wife used one of my good saws to prune some trees.
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

Week after I got married, my father in law used our new wedding-present Global carving knife to pry up vinyl tiles from the kitchen floor and broke the tip off it.

The positive side was you were able to practice/improve your grinding and honing skills :).
It depends on what you mean by "paint" -- if you mean (perhaps) the 25-year aluminium oxide finish they put on hardwood flooring, then ya...someone is likely to spaz about their hand-made dozuki being used on it.

I wouldn't think that cutting 'a' piece of wood with paint on it would do much to dull a good saw.
That being said, when you own a really sharp tool, it is easy to get a bit fanatical about keeping it really sharp. Once you start using really sharp tools, you come to appreciate how much more enjoyable the work is compared to using a not so sharp tool.
Mike
I know what I would tell my son......and it has little to do with the saw.

And what would you tell the guy who used your good tools, without asking, in a manner other than that for which they were intended?

No, I very much doubt it. But nails will! But I keep three saws, one like new, one for everyday use, and one for hacking about. They are dead cheap these days.
I now keep my "best" saw out of the way, as a while back, wife borrowed it to prune some trees !
Barry
gui.ntli.net:

Sounds like you son needs a talking to. An ass kicking would probably be better, but that's not allowed. Never, never, never borrow daddies tools. Oh! I mean sonnies tools.