hand saw blade guards, need a source

Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of plastic, slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to sell them but they are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it and the only source was at WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is like..."whopping" for all I need, 7 guards. Any pointers much appreciated!

Reply to
AAvK

Sorry not "WWS" (woodworker's supply)...I meant highland-hardware.

Reply to
AAvK

Depending on length of saw and how much fiddling you wan to do, you might want to take a look at the slide on 'report' binders sold in places like Staples. IIRC, they're pretty cheap and operate on the same principle.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

source was at

For small saws try Office Depot or Staples. The spines used for report covers work well.

For larger saws slitting the smallest PVC pipe you can find (1/8" pipe is just under 1/4" ID) should work or you can make your own out of wood.

Wood is probably better than PVC. The latter will give off a little hydrogen cloride over time and may damage the saw.

Reply to
fredfighter

I guess that is the special pipe they have in the back, with negative wall thickness!

How about cheap garden hose or similar tubing for large saws?

Reply to
alexy

'Nother alternative, try slitting some 1/4 or 5/16" vacuum hose.

Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Hey, that's a great idea. I hate those crappy things, but they would work great on a saw.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Lobby Dosser wrote in news:C5X3e.1712$%b1.1627@trnddc08:

The sharpening service I use, Bay Area Carbide, in Concord, CA, uses a sliced plastic tubing to cover the teeth of the circular blades after sharpening. They also have a slide/clip cover for the hand saws they did for me. So next time you have a sawblade sharpened, or buy a new blade, or router/shaper bits, or similar, ask the counter person of you can buy a couple of extras. Turns out I couldn't buy any, but they gave me a few. After three or four years, they recognize me a little.

Good folks, mentioned by name in response to Morris' micro-rant in an earlier post.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

At least that should put to rest the popular misconception that pipe is sized by ID.

Reply to
fredfighter

For that thought I then thought "why not rubber medical tubing" for hand saws? ...I think making that slice would be something to think about, to do it evenly.

Reply to
AAvK

*I* realize you were making a joke but for the benefit of those who don't get it:

How about cheap garden hose or similar tubing for large saws?

That'd work, it's just a bit clumsier to use something flexible.

Reply to
fredfighter

Garden hose, split down the middle.

Reply to
CW

OK guys I went ahead and bought into those expensive ones, thicker plastic and made for the job exactly. Donwanna deal with going crazy over the solution of saving $$$ and then doing the work it takes... they should last and it was easier just to order them. My 1st order with HH so I'll see how they perform too. Thanks greatly for all the humor, I love every one of you guys. I really do... everyone is a brother.

Reply to
AAvK

Kinda massive for just a basic hand saw I think...? Yoogly too!

Reply to
AAvK

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:02:44 -0400, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow" spake:

C'mon, guys. Can you say "saw till"? I knew you could.

(smaller, houses 16-20 saws)
(larger, 48 saws)

--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow |

what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Larry Jaques

STOP PRESS!! Vinyl Glazing Channel/Spline at the Borg?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Spline at the borg? Vinyl glazing channel? That the same idea as those plastic binders rib things at staples? Only longer?

Reply to
AAvK

I like big. Easy to handle, hard to loose.

Reply to
CW

I got a bunch of 'em at Sears, lo these many years ago. Don't know if they still have them, though...

Doug Miller

Yes. See also the post about the 8' lengths of plastic channel for decorative panels.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser