hand saw blade guards, need a source

Page 1 of 2

Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of plastic, slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to sell them but they are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it and the only source was at WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is like..."whopping" for all I need, 7 guards. Any pointers much appreciated!
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Depending on length of saw and how much fiddling you wan to do, you might want to take a look at the slide on 'report' binders sold in places like Staples. IIRC, they're pretty cheap and operate on the same principle.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Hey, that's a great idea. I hate those crappy things, but they would work great on a saw.
each and that is

The sharpening service I use, Bay Area Carbide, in Concord, CA, uses a sliced plastic tubing to cover the teeth of the circular blades after sharpening. They also have a slide/clip cover for the hand saws they did for me. So next time you have a sawblade sharpened, or buy a new blade, or router/shaper bits, or similar, ask the counter person of you can buy a couple of extras. Turns out I couldn't buy any, but they gave me a few. After three or four years, they recognize me a little.
Good folks, mentioned by name in response to Morris' micro-rant in an earlier post.
Patriarch
AAvK wrote:

plastic,
them but they

source was at
guards.

For small saws try Office Depot or Staples. The spines used for report covers work well.
For larger saws slitting the smallest PVC pipe you can find (1/8" pipe is just under 1/4" ID) should work or you can make your own out of wood.
Wood is probably better than PVC. The latter will give off a little hydrogen cloride over time and may damage the saw.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

I guess that is the special pipe they have in the back, with negative wall thickness! <g>
How about cheap garden hose or similar tubing for large saws?

alexy wrote:

pipe
At least that should put to rest the popular misconception that pipe is sized by ID.
--

FF

For that thought I then thought "why not rubber medical tubing" for hand saws? ...I think making that slice would be something to think about, to do it evenly.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
alexy wrote:

pipe
*I* realize you were making a joke but for the benefit of those who don't get it:
http://www.harvel.com/pipepvc-sch40-80-dim.asp

That'd work, it's just a bit clumsier to use something flexible.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Yes, but did you realize that I was making a joke out of ignorance? I assumed you reversed the 1/8 and 1/4. Your cite caused me to do a little more digging to find out what is going on with these pipe sizes, and I found this explanation of nominal pipe size or iron pipe size: http://www.keidel.com/mech/pvf/pipe-intro.htm So, thanks for the education, and apologies for my uninformed but light-hearted ribbing!

each and that is like..."whopping" for all I need, 7

'Nother alternative, try slitting some 1/4 or 5/16" vacuum hose.
Nahmie
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:02:44 -0400, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"

C'mon, guys. Can you say "saw till"? I knew you could. http://www.shavings.net/sawtill.html (smaller, houses 16-20 saws) http://homepage.mac.com/oldmillrat/PhotoAlbum49.html (larger, 48 saws)
--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications ---------------------------------------------------------------
Garden hose, split down the middle.
each and that is like..."whopping" for all I need, 7 guards.

Kinda massive for just a basic hand saw I think...? Yoogly too!
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

True. But just cut it to length and throw away the remaining 73'6"! <g>

No argument there. But there is lots of clear pliable plastic (isn't that redundant?) tubing that would work well.

OK guys I went ahead and bought into those expensive ones, thicker plastic and made for the job exactly. Donwanna deal with going crazy over the solution of saving $$$ and then doing the work it takes... they should last and it was easier just to order them. My 1st order with HH so I'll see how they perform too. Thanks greatly for all the humor, I love every one of you guys. I really do... everyone is a brother.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

STOP PRESS!! Vinyl Glazing Channel/Spline at the Borg?

Spline at the borg? Vinyl glazing channel? That the same idea as those plastic binders rib things at staples? Only longer?
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com