hand-powered wall-mounted drill press

that is what it looks like to me
http://industrialhistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/12-26-14-002.jpg
an interesting site i like the videos too
On 5/16/2016 9:59 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

My grandfather was a blacksmith and had one of those drills. When they tore his shop down the drill press became part of our garage. As kids we did many projects with that drill press.
As I remember is was similar to this one
http://www.beautifuliron.com/thepost.htm
As I remember with the gearing it would make a hole as fast as an electric drill. The little dog of the top wheel would automatically move the bit down as you turned the crank.
On Mon, 16 May 2016 23:03:33 -0400

looks well preserved an interesting piece of history
easy to see where the design for modern drill press came out of that
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 6:59:46 PM UTC-7, Electric Comet wrote:

Usually called a 'post drill'; it was a common drill press design back in timberframe barn days. The lathe looks a lot like the one in my basement...about a century old.
On 5/17/2016 8:14 PM, whit3rd wrote:

Not to be contrary but the Post Drill was more of a Machinist drill used by Black smiths and other metal working applications.
Here is an example of a drill used in timber frame construction. As we do today to make a mortise. You drill several holes and then cut out the material between the holes to make the mortise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdwrlsOU2o

There are more examples of both drills in the internet.