Hand Plane Tune/Rebuild

Last night, I followed the advice of this fellow with a #4 Stanley. I actually did it in reverse order, but the results were the same. That #4 Stanley cuts fantastically and *easily*. I was surprised how easy it was to push through the piece of pine I had nearby. Listening to it cut, the note it sings is quite a bit higher than it was before.
https://thechristiantoolcabinet.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/minimal-bench- plane-tuning/
Mating the frog and the plane body was the tedious part, I actually had to remove quite a bit of material to get the front of the frog to sit firmly on the body. I guess I could have shimmed the front of the frog, but I didn't think about that last night. When I got done, the frog screws were bottoming out before they secured the frog so I had to install a couple shim washers.
One thing I did that he didn't mention was I put a few drops of oil on the adjustment screw threads and the yoke. That made the action SO much smoother.
Puckdropper
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 2:37:44 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

That some beautiful work. My hand planes get a little on the rusty side as time goes by, even when I occasionally wipe them down with rag sprayed with anti-rust. That's a great tip about keeping a magnet handy. I'll use that one.
Mike
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 2:37:44 PM UTC-5, nor.. wrote:

I use hand planes often and they're in pretty good shape. I didn't know to fine tune the frog-to-body fit. I will from now on. Thanks for posting the link.
Sonny