Hand Plane Tune/Rebuild

Last night, I followed the advice of this fellow with a #4 Stanley. I actually did it in reverse order, but the results were the same. That #4 Stanley cuts fantastically and *easily*. I was surprised how easy it was to push through the piece of pine I had nearby. Listening to it cut, the note it sings is quite a bit higher than it was before.

plane-tuning/

Mating the frog and the plane body was the tedious part, I actually had to remove quite a bit of material to get the front of the frog to sit firmly on the body. I guess I could have shimmed the front of the frog, but I didn't think about that last night. When I got done, the frog screws were bottoming out before they secured the frog so I had to install a couple shim washers.

One thing I did that he didn't mention was I put a few drops of oil on the adjustment screw threads and the yoke. That made the action SO much smoother.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

That some beautiful work. My hand planes get a little on the rusty side as time goes by, even when I occasionally wipe them down with rag sprayed with anti-rust. That's a great tip about keeping a magnet handy. I'll use that one.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

I use hand planes often and they're in pretty good shape. I didn't know to fine tune the frog-to-body fit. I will from now on. Thanks for posting the link.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny