Hand plane size difference

What is the difference in say, a #5 plane and a #5 1/2 plane. Length, width? Thanks, just wondering.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Paul O. wrote:

www.supertool.com is your friend; follow the link to the Blood&Gore section.
Regards, JT
"www.supertool.com is your friend; follow the link to the Blood&Gore section. "
That's a great link. Thanks, John! Tom
"Paul O." wrote:

Try Patrick Leach's "Blood and Gore" web site for information on hand planes.
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

Does anyone know of a similar site relating to Craftsman hand planes? Tom Work at your leisure!
Tom wrote:

Craftsman planes were made by other companies. Not their best effots either, unfortunately. Anything in particular that you were thinking of? Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
>Dave in Fairfax wrote:>--

I've got a small low-angle plane with an adjustable sole in front of the blade(you loosen a small knob and turn a wingnut, then re-tighten), and a horizontally mounted "wheel and fork" for the projection mechanism. Wheel rides on a vertically mounted screw. Has an old-timey craftsman logo. Tom Work at your leisure!
Tom wrote:

That sounds like a fairly standard block plane. I don't see any quetion here though, what is it you're wondering? Here are some places to try to match it against. Remember that it is likely to have been made by either Sargent or Millers Falls though.
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan2.htm http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm#num18 http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan9.htm#num60 http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan9.htm#num65 http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm#num102
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
> Dave in Fairfax wrote:>That sounds like a fairly standard block plane. I don't see any

I'm wondering about it's particulars, such as the designation #'s, original cost, etc.. I'll look into the Sargent/Miller's Falls vein. Thanks! Tom Work at your leisure!
dave in fairfax wrote:

Sargent model I picked up the Craftsman at a yardsale just last Saturday (50 cents) and it is _very_ similar, indeed, to one of my Sargents.
Glen
Thanks for the link folks. It's now in my favorites.

In the example you mention, the 5 1/2 uses a wider blade than the 5. But, in general, you can't generalize when it comes to Stanley's numbering system. Check out www.supertool.com, the "blood & gore" pages for more than you prably want to know.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

dozen or so of the block planes on the jointer's sole :-). There was no rhyme or reason to Stanley's numbering :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?