Hand plane size difference

length I think, a #4 Stanly is a little bigger than a number #3 Stanly

Reply to
Richard Clements

What is the difference in say, a #5 plane and a #5 1/2 plane. Length, width? Thanks, just wondering.

Reply to
Paul O.

"Paul O." wrote in news:xmWNc.3641$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

is your friend; follow the link to the Blood&Gore section.

Regards, JT

Reply to
John Thomas

Try Patrick Leach's "Blood and Gore" web site for information on hand planes.

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Does anyone know of a similar site relating to Craftsman hand planes? Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Craftsman planes were made by other companies. Not their best effots either, unfortunately. Anything in particular that you were thinking of? Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Thanks for the link folks. It's now in my favorites.

Reply to
Paul O.

In the example you mention, the 5 1/2 uses a wider blade than the 5. But, in general, you can't generalize when it comes to Stanley's numbering system. Check out

the "blood & gore" pages for more than you prably want to know.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

"

is your friend; follow the link to the Blood&Gore section. "

That's a great link. Thanks, John! Tom

Reply to
Tom Dooley

I've got a small low-angle plane with an adjustable sole in front of the blade(you loosen a small knob and turn a wingnut, then re-tighten), and a horizontally mounted "wheel and fork" for the projection mechanism. Wheel rides on a vertically mounted screw. Has an old-timey craftsman logo. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

That sounds like a fairly standard block plane. I don't see any quetion here though, what is it you're wondering? Here are some places to try to match it against. Remember that it is likely to have been made by either Sargent or Millers Falls though.

in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Well, I have a #8 jointer plane and a #9 1/2 block plane. I could fit a dozen or so of the block planes on the jointer's sole :-). There was no rhyme or reason to Stanley's numbering :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Dave in Fairfax wrote:>That sounds like a fairly standard block plane. I don't see any

I'm wondering about it's particulars, such as the designation #'s, original cost, etc.. I'll look into the Sargent/Miller's Falls vein. Thanks! Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

From the OP description the Craftsman does sound like the similar Sargent model I picked up the Craftsman at a yardsale just last Saturday (50 cents) and it is _very_ similar, indeed, to one of my Sargents.

Glen