hand plane opportunity

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

That said, he occaisionally comes across a good one, and sells it to his customers. I'm quite fond of the one I bought from him last year.

Not being quite in O'Deen's class, I doubt I could get good use from an #8. A #7 has been promised to me, when a relative finally cleans out his basement workshop. He swears he has three of them, but they haven't been seen for some time....

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

patriarch qwertyuiop'd:

A numbah 8 isn't just for those of us who can balance one on our galootish fingertips. If your bench is at the proper height, and the sole is waxed-up properlike, you'll find the extra mass of a #8 (not to mention the wider blade) to be more boon than bane. Myself, I keep my type 5 #8 (a pretty darned old 24" jointer plane, Jeff) set to a very fine cut, and use it for final truing of an edge or the face of a board. The bulk of the rough work is done with a jack plane or a fore plane.

A #8 in hand is easily worth three #7's lurking in some relative's garage ;o).

Humbly submitted, O'Deen

Reply to
Patrick Olguin

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You do make it sound tempting... Maybe an email to the Merchant of Ashby is in order.

A #ANYTHING is worth planes lurking unused in some relative's garage.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I have a short bench and the workshop isn't much bigger. By the time I've got my #8 up to speed, I have to hit the brakes to stop it flying out through the end door.

I like my #6 though 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I agree with O'Deen. A couple of moths ago I came across an 80% off bin at Woodcraft. There in the bin was a Hock blade that looked to my untrained eye to be the right size for my Miller Falls #18 (a Stanley #6 clone). So I bought it for all of $8 or $9. Got it home and it was too wide - it was for a number 8. What to do, what to do. Went to ebay and found a nice older 8C that was in great shape except for that hole drilled through the sole at the back end (to hang it on the wall I guess). $50 and it came home. So now I have $59 +/- in a nice #8C with a Hock blade (not to mention a real nice older Stanley blade for a spare) and that thing can cut finer full length, full width shavings than any other plane I own. I think stories I had read about O'Deen and seeing him holding that #8 of his on the Blood & Guts page was the inspiration that made me buy the plane on ebay rather than sell the blade on ebay.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Well, this month's list, from 6 Sept , included: ST24 #8 jointer; a ca.1895 example, with all original parts, including full length iron; no damage to the rosewood, 95% japanning; great worker that only needs to be honed to start peeling off shavings; 24" of mean, wood-eating metal. $165.00

and he alsways has a few items he doesn't put on the list. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Or here for $115:

Mike

Joe Gorman wrote in news:cief6g$1246$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.infoave.net:

That's true, Joe. The following already has arrived from that list:

The #4, #6 and #78 in my cabinet are non-list purchases. Sweet tools, all.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Bookmarked for future purchasees. thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Sandy (the proprietor) is a good guy to deal with and really knows old tools (check out his bit brace collection/page). IMO, his prices are the best of all of the internet dealers; not as good as finding

25-cent planes in the wild but still pretty reasonable. No affiliation, yadda, yadda; just a satisfied customer.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike