Hand plane discussion at garage sale

I thought some of you would enjoy this discussion I had at a garage sale. The sellers husband collected planes, and had some of the extras for sale. None of them were needed by me so I told the owner my wife would be proud of me for not buying any. Some other person then stated that hand planes were worthless, that he had a power planer and that worked much better than any plane. I explained that I thought there is still a lot of uses for planes especially in furniture making, and he proceeded to tell me that he makes a lot of furniture and he only uses his power plane. So knowing it didn't make much sense to argue with his closed mind, I just chuckled to myself and walked away. I am a big tool junkie, power and hand, but I know there are lots of times and places to use these fine tools. Just thought you would enjoy my exchange!

I'd have liked to have seen pictures of his creations... <g>
I like my power planer for thicknessing, but that's essentially all it's good for.
djb
--
Was that last sig line lame or what?

am a

places
You missed an opportunity to learn something new. Does he use 10d or 16d nails to hold the furniture together? Does her prefer the coils or strip nails? Ed
Dear Ed,

I prefer clipped head, I like the pretty little half moons they leave when I set my regulator to 135 PSI as I assemble Queen Anne Reproductions.
David.

but only until the glue dries, right? ;-)
Patriarch
On 17 Apr 2004 02:40:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) wrote:

a hand held power plane is a very useless tool in the shop. but you could hit him over the head with a plane and he would say it did not hurt.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 04:51:17 GMT, Steve Knight

good for fitting doors and truing framing in the field, though....
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:03:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com wrote:

Yeah, but if you're way out in the "field" you'd have to bring a genny or a reeeeeeaaaaallly long extension cord. A hand plane can do that and it doesn't need an outlet. :-)
Layne
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:03:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com wrote:

Especially as more and more framers work with the "that's the finish guy's job" mentality. <G>
Barry

yep but that's about it. or surfboards (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I went to an estate sale today, and purchased a number 8 Stanley in pretty good condition for $45.00. Not a steel by any means, but I didn't have one (except for 8 C). I talked with the person selling the tools, and he asked what I was going to use it for, and I told him the "power planer" story. He said he didn't want it, but he could appreciate the uses for it. Not I have another tool to tune up. BTW, I also scored a Keen Kutter level in good shape but dirty for $3.00.

Some woodturners use one to flatten the log face to affix a faceplate.

Usually, but I've found it useful in hogging away a large chamfer (like on a sackback Windsor I make). --- I finish off wirh a jack plane and a spokeshave.