Hand plane comparison between veritas and LieNielsen

All,

I am about to embark upon a new stage in my woodworking. The investment in hand planes.

I am curious as to what is the difference between the veritas and Lie Nielsen products. I have heard good things from guys who use both, but i have not seen any comparison of the two.

Any imput would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Grampa Simpson

Reply to
grampa simpson

Mostly money and aesthetics. As far as functionality goes, the ones I have tried (low-angle smoother and scraper plane) are pretty close to equal, and the Veritas actually has some advantanges in use. (Lateral set-screws, larger/taller tote, Norris-style blade adjustment and simpler blade-clamping mechanism on low-angle plane, thick or thin iron plus screw to adjust bow on scraper plane) The L-N planes are a bit prettier, IMHO, but not enough to make up the difference in price. If I was starting out today, I'd buy the Veritas planes.

I know I've written comparisons here on both, and others have as well. Do a Google groups advanced search on the wreck using "Veritas L-N low-angle plane" to get to low-angle comparisons. Also, I imagine you could plug in "LV L-N scraper plane" to get to the others. Play around a bit ... it's fun and informative.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian