hand plane:

Hello Woodies:
I have found an old plane with these markings on it. Bailly no 5 Stanly ,it is close to 12" in length. I have just really gotten into wood work and wonder if it would be useful on some projects. It is priced at $22.00 Can. Would anyone care to comment?
Sal
If it's in good shape, buy it. IMHO, A block plane and a #5 are the most useful planes to have. Clean it up, tune it and you will have a good plane there.

,it
sal wrote:

Hi, Sal I've collected Stanley planes for years. If the "tote" or handle is usable and not too broken up and the front knob is OK and the blade isn't sharpened down to the point of not having enough left, the price is in the ball park. There are lots of sites on "tuning up" a plane if you Google the subject. Of course no broken metal parts permitted. MinnJim

Take another look and see if it is actually marked 5 1/4. Is the blade 2" wide, or 1 3/4? A #5 is a common jack plane and they are about 14" long. Stanley made a 5 1/4, or "junior jack" that was somewhat shorter in length and used the narror blade ( 1 3/4 vs 2" ) If it is in decent condition $22 is a good price; If it is the 5 1/4 model it is worth a little more due to scarcity but the regular #5 is probably more useful as a "user" Personally, I don't know that I'd buy a 4th jack plane, but I'd probably spring for the junior jack if I had the opportunity for $22.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

A lot depends on the shape it's in, what year it is, etc.... Go here for more information than you will probably ever need:
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm