hand held cnc router

Fine woodworking had an email about a hand held cnc router.
http://tinyurl.com/8tda4av
Pretty cool, too bad they didn't use mouse like laser pointing instead of the newer bar coding. Maybe they did, but it didn't seem so.
Smart kids, gives you a chance to do accurate work, with a small setup. But if it goes to production, it will be very expensive.
On 8/11/2012 9:08 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

At first I thought someone came up with something more ridiculous than the laser for the drill press.
Then I saw the router moving around inside the base... Hummmmm
Looks like it could be quite accurate.
I do see that there are tape lines to tell the computer where the router is at. I wonder how accurately those strips of tape have to be laid out. That might be the down fall to accuracy.
On 8/11/2012 10:25 AM, Leon wrote:

Yep, which is why I think using laser mouse tracking might be a better alternative. The tape eliminates using any wood, only taped wood.
says...

Why would it be very expensive?
On 8/11/2012 11:54 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Just a hunch, if a domino is $800 what do you think this will be?
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message tiredofspam

Would that be expensive as small CNCs go?
Hold on... let me go watch the video...
Ok. I guess that would be kind of expensive to produce.
I think I'll stick with my desktop gantry style CNC router.
says...

Depends on whether it's being sold by Festool, DeWalt, or Drill Master.
There are advantages. Now a hand cut Parade Float design can be cut by hand. It would be nice to have a massive design but a small window that you work on - it seems like it did it that way - maximizing the resolution in an area.
Neat. I'd have plenty of projects for something like that. Martin