hand drill, eggbeater type

I lost a Stanley eggbeater type drill in my recent basement fire. It was the model that stored bits in the handle. Stanley no longer makes anything like it...I already have the cheaper version, but would very much like to replace this. I've looked just about everywhere, including Google, and can find only Woodcraft's version, which I'd rather pass on. Anyone know of any other makers or retailers?
Charlie Self
Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. Dan Quayle

the
like
replace
only
makers
Is this the type you're looking for Charlie? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page2294&category=1,180,42337&abspage=1&ccurrency=1&SID

Yes, I have that storage area in mine and admittedly, it's very handy. My egg beater type drill also opens up to 5/8" for big bits. The description for the Lee Valley one said only 3/8", but eye balling it, it might be able to hold bigger. Just a guess.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (Charlie Self) wrote in message

Charlie,
The used tool market has plenty of this type of tool. Heck, I find plenty of them even here in old tool he!! (SoCal). For the price of the above POS (sorry Robin, I love you guys otherwise), you can get a Yankee 1530 with bits; even from the higher priced dealers. Please disregard if you need to buy new because of insurance reasons. Good luck.
Mike
Mike notes:

I don't think the insurance company insists on new, but...I'm not at all sure I want to set a precedent, either. Buy one thing used, and that may be the replacement method you're stuck with in too many other areas. As I noted at first, I've got the lower cost Stanley (which I think is still available), so am not hurting for that particular tool...which I use two or three times a year anyway. I got a list that is a lot longer than I thought it would be, considering this was the basement that burned and not the shop. Believe me, I'm grateful for that, because it's a lot easier to document and replace washer, dryer, water heater, furnace, service entry panel and such than it is saw blades and router bits and similar things.
Charlie Self
Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. Dan Quayle
Charlie,
I see those fairly frequently at antique shops and used tool dealers -- naturally, you won't find them when you need one, but a few months later you will see two or three. A good supplier was Millers Falls. Here is a photo of some that I own:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/millers_falls_drills.jpg
The one in the middle, a model #2, has a hollow handle for bit storage.
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:52:20 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

Have you considered Millers Falls? I have a #2 which stores bits in the handle and think it works just fine, altho I've never tried the Stanley. They regularly show up on ebay, and I found 4 of them just now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item232356557&category 872 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item232706814&category 872 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item232886941&category 872 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item233161798&category 872
Good luck.
Art

the
like
replace
only
makers
child.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah says...

Charlie, look on Ebay for one by Goodell-Pratt or Miller Falls. For example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item232387295&category  872
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

the
like
Hate to say it Charlie, but you may have to go with a used model if you want the storage area in the handle. I looked through a good fifty websites and not one of them appeared to have the tapped handle for bit storage. I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but damned if I can find one. Poor state of some parts of the industry in my opinion. I suppose you could just get the Lee Valley model and drill the handle out a bit yourself and jury rig something. I guess you have bigger things to worry about right now.
Sat, Jul 12, 2003, 8:52am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (CharlieSelf) asks: I lost a Stanley eggbeater <snip> Anyone know of any other makers or retailers?
My theory would be check eBay. I got two very nice ones, very reasonable prices, on eBay, maybe a couple of years back. One may be a Stanley, but it's not handy right now to check, drills can be stored in the handle. One kinda small, one a bit larger. If I recall right, about $9 and $7, including shipping.
Got another first, from a guy who said it was in excellent condition, and it did look beautiful. Turned out the chuck was trash. He claimed it didnd't matter, it was was a collector's item, no one ever uees them any more. Puzzled him when I said I wanted it to use. Some retiree from New Yawk City apparently, who apparently has never used a tool in his life, moved to Florida, and selling "collector's" tools. Idiot. Got my money back, but only after I had to tell him I would report him to eBay if he didn't return it. Never did get shipping charges back.
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 25 Jun 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
have you tried Craftsman tools....they used to make one like the one you described. You may have to order it out of their tool catalog though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item232858634&category 61
$3.99 won't hurt your pocket, either. Add $5 or so for shipping and you're in!
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Larry Jaques responds:

Thanks, Lar. Except that's the one I still have. The old, good one had a black wheel, screw open top, and about 12 uses in a decade. Kind of like my little chrome push drill: ya only needs it sometimes, but it beats the daylights out of anything else when you do need it.
Charlie Self
Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah says...

Ain't that the truth! I just wish someone made bits for the Goodell Bros/-Pratt ones. I've resorted to buying extra drills just to get the bits :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?