Hammers

Page 2 of 2

"Bill" wrote in message

http://douglastool.com/catalog/20-oz-finish-hammer-extreme-rip-claw
I bought one of these on sale at Grizzly a few years ago and either it's a joy to use or the fact that I spent fifty bucks on it makes me think it's a joy to use--either way it's a joy to use. I love the claw, I love the super-magnet nail-set, I love the fact that anybody who sees it oohs and aahs.
You can probably get a real nice hammer that will last for years for less money, maybe they even have some at HF. But I'm keeping this one, it just works too well.
DGDevin wrote:

Looks like a very nice hammer. The magnet nail set would be nice to have.
As far as HF, I can't accept the idea of having a hammer that even has a chance of breaking. What depth has he fallen to if a man can't count on his hammer....
BTW, don't mentions hammers around my wife or she'll starting singing that Pete Seeger song.

I need four. 16 Oz Estwing claw hammer with leather wrapped handle. 24 Oz Estwing Long, framer. 2 pound dead blow. I also have a 1 pound for assembly. Big ol' ballpeen , guessing at 3 lbs.
All of which I have owned forever.
Then I have a rubber mallet, a wooden mallet, 2 sledges, a triangular rotating head small hammer, a brass hammer.
THEN a HF grade 3 dollar one in case somebody wants to borrow a hammer.

Check how well the tool is finished. A hammer with a roughly finished shank will raise blisters. Spend a couple of dollars more, or pick up a mill file on your way out to smooth down the edges.
Properly hardened the hammer transfers most of the striking energy to driving the nail. Improperly hardened they transfer less energy or fill you with splinters.
Watch these guys use hammers of all kinds:
http://vimeo.com/1582825
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Cool. I love the gossamer shavings of those planes, too. Another nice thing about the worksite: no radio blaring.
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Interesting comment about the radio. There was a nice rhythmic sound of them working.
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 23:37:27 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Right, music unto itself. And no grating commercials.
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
On 8/19/2011 10:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The hammer taps in the section on sheathing a roof reminded me of beating on horseshoes back when I was shoeing horses ... always tried to get a rhythm going with hammer on the anvil, with a couple of anvil hits spaced evenly to keep you eye/muscle memory sharp for that next hit on the metal that counts.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Larry Jaques wrote:

You didn't notice the rhythm in the hammering? They don't need no stinkin' radio! ; ) Nice video!