Hall of Fame/Shame Tool Survey

Page 2 of 3
George wrote:

I had one Toyota. There was only one item of maintenance it required--every 12,000 miles you replaced the engine to the tune of 5 thousand bucks. The third time I finally trashed the piece of crap.

Honda's another one. I had a CB400T that died on me one day--dead starter, and the genii at Honda had decided to remove the kick starter that year, so it ended up permanently dead. Seat must have been designed by the same clan that provided the imperial torturers in earlier days though--I figure the designer lost somebody he cared about at Hiroshima and was getting revenge through that seat design.

Old Nikons are decent equipment. Don't know about the newer ones.

I've never had any significant trouble with a Ford or Chevy.
--
--John

Define significant :-)
--
Jon Down
snipped-for-privacy@georgian.net says...

the biggest problem I've had was having to replace the alternator at about 120,000.
And I'll show my age by saying that the old Chevy 6's from the 50's and 60's ran forever if you kept the oil changed :-). If they did give any problems, there was enough working room in the engine compatment that I could stand in it next to the motor.
That old 2 speed automatic was something else :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

On Mon, 10 May 2004 07:05:39 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Never had one of those 4.5L aluminum block engines that came in my wife's '88 Caddy Seville? OK, not Chevy, but a GM product.
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

I buy only the best tools available because they hold up and cost less in the long run. My shop is almost 100% Craftsman. If Bob Vila uses them, you know they are professional quality.
Ralph Engerman R. E Quick Transit

chips and salsa out of a keyboard ;)
Allen
That being said I do have my grandfathers old craftman bandsaw and it seems to doing fine.

even be persuaded to part with my Craftsman router (though it is OK in a table).
I second the table use. My old Craftsman router (gifted to me 2nd hand) found its niche use embedded in the water table.
--
Greg

"George" wrote in message ...

If Bob Vila uses them, you

:~) snicker..
scribbled:

Whatever happened to the Unit Saw?

Works like a charm with the Craftsman direct drive motor. No sloppy belts to deal with and it runs on 110 volts with plenty of power. The old Delta motor was heavier than the Craftsman, but I figure it is heavier because it has more volts in it. I don't need all them volts with the Craftsman because they have a lot more power than other brands. That is what makes them Professional Grade.
I did have to do some adjusting to get the blade and motor assembly lined up just right. I must have been off a little when I drilled the holes through the top. The first few boards I tried to cut kept flying up and hitting the garage ceiling, but then I figured it out. A few hits with the hammer helped, but I had to run a bigger drill through the bolt holes so I could move the motor far enough. Cuts straight now. If it gets out of line and starts throwing wood, I just smack the side of the motor with a hammer and it gets back in line again.
The kitchen cabinets are almost done. I needed more particle board and had a delay because Home Depot ran out, but they got some more in. It gets hard to cut sometimes. My neighbor said I should get a Car Bide blade, but I could not find that brand at either Sears or Home Depot. I even looked for Car Bide Company but found no information on them.
Ralph Engerman R. E. Quick Transit

Hmmmm ... let's see ... if a radial arm saw is likely to cut off your arm, then a "unit saw" would ...
Never mind.
Chuck Vance

This is why I've never wanted to own a prick punch.
On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:56:18 GMT, Scott Cramer

Some things just make ya think, don't they?
Fresh squeezed baby oil?
Girl Scout cookies?
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Hot Water Heater
Regular Flavor

My favorite is in the grocery store's pots and pans aisle: Baby Loaf Pans. Tastes like chicken....
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

wrote in message >

To get it to the temperature you want. It's a continuum thing.
Replaced mine two days ago, and the liability folks seem to have mandated a setting somewhat lower than the one to which I was accustomed. Guess I'll heat it another 10 degrees.