Hair Drill Warning

Page 1 of 2
Using one of those 24" drill bits (from HFT) to drill a hole through three pieces of material while standing on a ladder I felt something.
I kept on going and drilled the first eight-inch hole, drove in the bolt and tightened it up before proceeding to drill the hole for the second bolt.
This time, I turned my head to sight down the bit to make sure I drilled a straight hole and really felt something.
My long hair had wrapped around the drill bit so tight that I actually pulled a 2 x 3" patch of hair from my scalp!
Hurt like hell for a minute or so while my wife (glad she was there) helped me reverse the bit, get off the ladder and extricate my head from my electric drill.
Thought it was worth posting my wife's advice - "pull your hair back and wrap it in a pony tail."
On 7/9/2010 2:21 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:

I'd cut the long hair off. Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it. Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination . Your lucky it wasn't a gear driven pedestal drill . I saw a guy have his scalp ripped clean off his head using a radial arm tool room drill . Made me sick in the guts.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

At my high school, there was a student with about half of his hair ripped off taped to the drill press.
In the last few days, my wife and I worked out a rule about interrupting me while I am working with electrical wiring or power tools. She did not "get it" until I more carefully explained how important it is for me to keep my concentration during those times. So far, just saying "remember our main rule" has allowed me to stay on track.
A 30 year-old story my mother seems to like to tell is when I was painting the trim on her 2nd-story windows on a ladder, and she turned and said good-bye to me as she was leaving. Both hands full, I turned towards her and had a "real-interesting" moment there as I searched for my center of gravity. My wife had heard that story, and when I recalled it this week, she "got it".
Bill
Bill wrote:

Of course, I meant to write: At my high school, there was a *picture* of a student with about half of his hair ripped off taped to the drill press.

I liked the first one better. :)
I was going to ask.
What was taped?
The student half the hair or the high school?
LOL Good post proofreading!
Bill wrote:

Of course, I meant to write: At my high school, there was a *picture* of a student with about half of his hair ripped off taped to the drill press.

I had similar "discussions" with SWMBO, years ago. She now refuses to be in the area when I'm working, which means no more help. Be warned.

This needs no words
http://www.lildobe.net/gallery2/v/Disasters/indacc/Lathe_Accident /
On 7/9/2010 6:14 PM, Stuart wrote:

barffff eeeerrrk , I didnt really need that ,I've been around rotating machinery all my working life and I know what it can do . I've seen a few gorey episodes in the last 45 years . wearing gloves while usiing drills ,long hair around drills and clothing getting caught in lathes. Digits being removed by rotating vee belts etc.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
People shouldn't be wearing any clothes around rotating machinery, except for men and they should wear.... well..., some men should wear...

"Hoosierpopi" wrote:

------------------------- Try a haircut.
Lew

Damn hippies!
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 07:30:06 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy wrote:

I arrange to meet people all over the south when delivering dogs and I tell them to look for the ugliest, leftover hippie in sight.
Don't want to scare them, they have to have some warning.
basilisk
"basilisk" wrote

There ya go. An ugly warning.
I never thought of that. But it makes sense.
That is very considerate of you.
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:56:37 -0400, Lee Michaels wrote:

I have to admit it isn't all altruistic, I don't want to drive 200 miles and then lose a sale because my clients fled in terror.
basilisk

One of the techs I use looks like a page ripped right out of the sixties, got abused by a stoner tattoo artist along the way; worked as a roadie too long and has access to the most wicked hydroponic. or so I'm told. Great guy to get stuck with in a too-long-a-lunch at the local micro brewery. I try to keep my visits to him down to twice a year.

Damn hippies! ================ That what I was going to say.
Reminds me of a story told to me by a reserve sheriff deputy. He was working one night and had to arrest a drunk and combative woman. She grabbed his hair and pulled a bunch of off of his head. He went to the hospital and had it sewed back on. Just as soon as it healed up, he went to the barber shop. He has had short hair ever since. He learned his lesson.
I used to have long hair and I still like the look of it. Initally it was because my father did not approve of it. But there is a host of practical considerations that make long hair a liability in a lot of situations. And personal safety ranks right up there at the top of the list. You have to look at the risk/benefits ratio. Is the long hair worth the risk to life and limb? Or in this case, life and scalp.
Besides, if my hair is short and I am shaved, I don't have to listen to my wife bitch about it all the time.

Someone in an aggravated profession once advised that to him "Hair is handles".
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

All you have to see to know that is two women in a fight ...
I always wondered why the variable speed on those things.
And now, many come with the purple sex lights by the bit holder too!
I cant imagine a reciPRICKating saw being much use for for sexual purposes .
Oh !!!!!! wait I get it now
--
Kevin (Bluey)