Had enough of the crap here

I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help here and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through such lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such a productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

And your leaving helps us how? I find my kill filters work really well. Ya gotto dig a lot of dirt if you want find diamonds.

Don't hand the scriptkiddies a victory, Don.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

It's *very* easy to avoid the troll posts. Do a Google search on this newsgroup for "nfilter" or "newsproxy". Then download my TrollFilters; see my sig for download instructions. Up until this morning, I hadn't seen *any* of the "disgusting posts" for a *long* time, and the filters are already updated to catch the garbage that got through earlier today.

Doug Miller

Gotta agree with Robatoy,

Just added about 10 new filters to my list this morning. Gets rid of 99% of the trash.

My feeling is that the net is full of this stuff anyway, so just not participating won't solve anything. Just gotta work around this stuff.

I think that it's worth the little bit of time & trouble.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I don't use a newgroup reader myself. What's the point to downloading all this stuff into your computer when Google posts everything on their server. I look at the titles and just pass by the troll posts. If you don't want to do that, just keep tapping that delete button, but down leave the group. There's too much good info here.

Chuck

Reply to
Woodchuck34

As a newbie to this newsgroup, I will say that the amount of crap this is posted is a pain, but the useful knowledge balances it out. I use Google also, and it is easy enough to avoid the trolls.

Pat

Reply to
Mr Beefy

What disgusting posts? I haven't seen one in months. At least not here...

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I'm using Google, too, but I no longer pass by the trolls and other fools. The "show options" bit lets me post an abuse report easily. Too early by far to see if that does any good, I think, but if it doesn't, I can just avoid them, though the language and concepts get old in a rush.

Reply to
Charlie Self

When do you recall that it was not like this?

Reply to
Leon

My delete button still works.

Dave

Teamcasa

Ditto - you know, it only takes a couple of seconds to send the "innards" and body of the messsage to the abuse program of the sender. People who circumvent this with special ISP and program covers still want recognition (duh) and you can use your blocker to take care of them. (They use parts of the same name over and over again so you can have the blocker block anyone with whatever portion of their address they use over and over in the "From" of the message.)

Doug Miller's suggested program is an excellent option and you can ask it to block any email that has more than 1, 2, or 20 newsgroups in the "To" line. That takes care of a lot of trash as well.

To me it is like washing the salt off the car or raking the leaves off the grass.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

I'm suprised that Google allows this. Alot of message boards trash the account of anyone ever doing this.

Additionally, the PERL scripts that generate these pages from the posts can scan for any words that are not allowed. If it finds a bad word (or even something that resembles a bad word), the post gets deleted.

Instead of quitting the board, send your complaints to Google. Hey - they must be a family-friendly company - right?

Reply to
tom

All the newsreaders that I have used will function that same way. I download just the headers until I see a subject of interest. When I click on a message, then the body of the message is retrieved and displayed, but not before I request it.

Reply to
Bob Haar

Ahem! Speak for yourself but I certainly ain't no middle aged old coot!!

You ever heard of "di-ver-si-ty? Not all WW's are "old coots"! Though most aren't middle school neither...

-snip-

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I love it!

Yeah, that's one I need to keep in mind. Thanks.

[snip]

It's not that easy to skip over them when there are thirty-seven _hundred_ of them, like there were last night, with a couple of dozen useful posts interspersed.

Unfortunately, some of these posts have grossly offensive subject lines; every newsreader I'm familiar with downloads the headers of every post, and if you don't have filtering software in place to remove them, it's pretty hard to avoid seeing the subject lines.

Doug Miller

regarding

obnoxious

Those look to be a Diplflood (Google for "HipCrime") usually the follow-up is set to news.admin.net-absue.email his ultimate target.

Reply to
fredfighter

Doug Miller wrote: (snip)

I see what you're saying. I forget that most people use a different message view than I do.

That's true too. I'm pretty thick skinned so it doesn't bother me, but I'm sensitive to the fact that that language can be upsetting to folks. Also, it's sad that this trash forces parents to keep their kids off a woodworking newsgroup for cryin' out loud!

Reply to
tom_murphy

The racial slurs particularly bother me. I live in a racially mixed neighborhood, I attend a racially mixed church, I have friends of other races, a good friend of mine is married to a woman of another race... it's my neighbors, my friends, that these morons are insulting. GRRR!

That, and I'm old-fashioned enough (maybe just plain old enough) to remember that men *used* to temper their language when ladies were present. And we do have some ladies reading this group.

Doug Miller

I'd be most interesting if one day these buttprints reappeared when some prospective wife/employer/customer/client decided to dig out a bit of background information...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Hey, watch it. What's this about "balding"? I'll have you know that I still have all my hair and even a lot of hair(s) that I never used to have. Why, I have hairs growing from many orifices that never had hair before.

Gerry < waxing indignant >

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.